Y point with a straight section along it

• RMweb Premium

I am trying to use one of the Peco bullhead points on my layout and after cutting a lot of the webbing and gluing it all down I have ended up with this:

post-14389-0-64272400-1512845702.jpg

The stock rails marked in green have ended up with beautiful looking curves, while the stock rail marked in yellow is pretty much straight. The "curved" route is the main line, and the straight rails are to a siding. Thinking about only the rails (and ignoring the correctness or otherwise of the timbering), please could someone advise whether this sort of general arrangement (shape) could be found on the prototype?

To me the straight rail has a slightly shambolic look, which I will be very happy with if it is prototypical, even though it has come about by accident. This was a left hand point when I bought it.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

If it does the job and stock will run through it with no problems then the job is a good un.

Gordon A

Thanks for this. In the meantime I'm afraid I've lifted the point and put it in the bin, I was never going to be happy with it. I'll look at the Marcway site.

- Richard.

What a shame and a waste.

There are standard points, but also points were designed and built to fit the requirements for specific locations.

Your Y point would have fallen into that category. 

The advantage of building your own point and crossing work combined with a track planning system such as Templot is that you can produce some nice flowing track work.

Don't be afraid to alter rtr points to meet your requirements, that is what the full size railway did.

You will produce better track work by altering points so that the track flows and runs smoothly.

Gordon A

• RMweb Premium

I've taken it out of the bin, I don't like waste either. I have built my own points before, I wanted to try the new Peco one because it looks such a fine model though of course the moulded chairs are quite fragile. I have some thick copper clad strip, I'll report back.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This has all been entirely my own fault but I have recovered :-)

The trackwork needs a "point of inflection" so to speak near here, but this has got to go at one end of the turnout or the other. Not within it. That is to say, you can chop up a Peco turnout and bend it one way or the other, but not both. I have soldered in a new set of timbers from copper clad strip, setting the whole assembly on a gentle left hand curve. And it seems to work fine.

post-14389-0-01636200-1512931988.jpg

Sorted, and thank you Gordon  for your encouragement.

I have now got the assembly glued down onto the baseboard too, but it doesn't photograph very well because the track bed is black.

- Richard.

• Like 2