Looking for railway walks by active lines

ianlei

About twenty odd years ago, I walked the Kennet and Avon from Bradford-on-Avon to Reading over two days. It’s about 75 miles and although the section from Bradford to Pewsey is lacking in railway presence, it passes through some nice countryside and does have the flight of locks at Devizes.

The section between Bradford and Bath has some good views of the Bath-Westbury and GW Main lines, but more so in winter.  It crosses the Westbury line twice on aqueducts. 

• RMweb Premium

My wife likes walks, I like trains, so.....

I am looking for nice scenic walks by active railway lines and wondered if anyone has any suggestions? Whenever I search for railway walks I can only ever find walks along paths where railway lines once were but want to find active ones e.g Dawlish Warren to Teignmouth where you are close to the railway for most of the way.

Even just stopping points of pubs or restaurants with a good view of the line would be good!

I live in Hampshire but any good UK locations would be great to know for when we travel.

Thanks! Ian

Settle and Carlisle certainly offers some options.  Last summer I started at Horton in Ribblesdale, and got the train to Dent.  A lovely walk up Dentdale to the northern end of Blea Moor tunnel, then over the top of the hill (a slog on a hot day), following the track again from close to the southern portal, down past Blea Moor box to the northern end of the Ribblehead viaduct.  That was about 3 hours.  I then carried on back to Horton, but that was mainly the other side of the valley (there isn't a decent route close to the railway).  12 miles altogether.  The views back up Dentdale during the climb up over the tunnel are fantastic, likewise coming down the other side.

post-13511-0-45741600-1512946362_thumb.jpg

post-13511-0-41979600-1512946426_thumb.jpg

Adrian

• Like 1

From Bamford to Grindleford is a nice walk with views and crossings of the Hope Valley line....

And in the same area, try from Edale station up the ridge from Mam Tor to Lose Hill and back down to Hope station - makes for good aerial views of the line. You'd need more than trainers or flip-flops on your feet.