Snow on the tracks

We used to put gurt great bin bags over the buckeyes on units in my days in this kind of weather. (Otherwise, you just could not get the bu88ers to open). Is that still done with Delners etc?

I've seen yellow 'binbags' on Pacer couplings in recent years here in S Yorks in snowy weather.

I've seen yellow 'binbags' on Pacer couplings in recent years here in S Yorks in snowy weather.

I recall seeing bags on the couplers on Voyagers and 185s in some very cold weather at York a few years back - a good few years back in 2005

Quoting myself, now I found the photo, from 2010:

post-6971-0-16451500-1513020240.jpg

Also from 2010, the snow got too much for Rotherham Central:

post-6971-0-66970300-1513020241.jpg

so they closed it and diverted stuff past the closed Masborough:

post-6971-0-99763500-1513020242.jpg

And powdery stuff on the ECML:

post-6971-0-08968000-1513020238.jpg

(I was the public side of the fence)

• Like 13

Some more shots I took whilst driving in snow. The two at Dorrington show how hard it becomes to spot signals, especially semaphores, when snow is falling. all pics taken working the afternoon Dee Marsh service on 9th February 2007.

Approaching the site of Fords Bridge SB and level crossing. Road traffic on the A49 not having much fun either.

post-7146-0-52178400-1513267691_thumb.jpg

Approaching Dorrington. The green light in the gloom is Dorringtons Up colour light distant signal.

post-7146-0-85867600-1513267699_thumb.jpg

Dorrington again, this time Dorringtons Up home semaphore section signal is out there in the gloom.

post-7146-0-83877600-1513267707_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 18

33058 hauling an unidentified 4CEP at Waterloo East forming the 0831 Ashford to Charing Cross on 15/01/87, back in the days when the railway could still usually be relied upon in the event of bad weather.

Lovely picture, but I am not sure about the comment! I was still SM at Brighton that winter, which was a bad one, and little moved there for days. P/Way were doing everything they could, but the drifts and the freezing temperatures simply overwhelmed them and the point heaters. I went out with a venerable colleague, carrying what I can only describe as flame-throwers (goodness knows where he got them from) in an attempt to clear the points on the western side. How we didn't die I don't know (the juice was still on but you could hardly see the con rail anywhere) and it was all a complete waste of time. As soon as we released one point and tested it with the box, and moved on to the next, the previous one would have frozen up again by the time we finished the next one. So we tried setting routes manually, by winding and blocking, but there was virtually no track detection and we just did not have anywhere near enough flagmen. We moved one train from Hove in four hours, and that had about six people on it.

Great determination, but little to show for it.

• Like 3

On 2nd April 1966 a few of us that lived in Carlisle, despite severe blizzard conditions ovenight, decided to go to to Carleton (2.5 miles south of the station) on a local bus to photo 4472 Flying Scotsman on the 'Stephenson Locomotive Society / Manchester Locomotive Society Lakes & Fells Rail Tour'. The train was coming up the Settle line then down the WCML to Penrith, then on to Keswick hauled by 2 Ivatt 2-6-0 locos.

After we got off the bus. we struggled along a footpath through two foot snow drifts to the railway line and waited. Unknown to us the train was delayed waiting for a snowplough to reach Hellifield resulting in departure from Hellifield 54mins late. Meanwhile we were all freezing while standing in snow at the entrance to the cutting at the end of the embankment.

Eventually, 79 mins late, we saw a plume of smoke approaching. My friends had decided to go to the cutting a couple of hundered yards from where I was standing by the embankment. As the train approached I fired off a couple of shots, the latter one resulted in the photo below. However, immediately as I clicked the shutter, a class 40 on a long down freight hurtled past. Needless to say my friends never got any decent photos due the the freight. To say they were annoyed is an understatement and they expressed their annoyance very verbally indeed!

post-19218-0-21247600-1513347743_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Some more shots I took whilst driving in snow. The two at Dorrington show how hard it becomes to spot signals, especially semaphores, when snow is falling. all pics taken working the afternoon Dee Marsh service on 9th February 2007.

Approaching the site of Fords Bridge SB and level crossing. Road traffic on the A49 not having much fun either.

attachicon.gifFords Bridge. 09-02-2007..jpg

Paul J.

Ford Bridge was the station and signalbox name.  Not Fords

• RMweb Gold

Lovely picture, but I am not sure about the comment! I was still SM at Brighton that winter, which was a bad one, and little moved there for days. P/Way were doing everything they could, but the drifts and the freezing temperatures simply overwhelmed them and the point heaters. I went out with a venerable colleague, carrying what I can only describe as flame-throwers (goodness knows where he got them from) in an attempt to clear the points on the western side. How we didn't die I don't know (the juice was still on but you could hardly see the con rail anywhere) and it was all a complete waste of time. As soon as we released one point and tested it with the box, and moved on to the next, the previous one would have frozen up again by the time we finished the next one. So we tried setting routes manually, by winding and blocking, but there was virtually no track detection and we just did not have anywhere near enough flagmen. We moved one train from Hove in four hours, and that had about six people on it.

Great determination, but little to show for it.

The problem always was that if you melted the snow the melted snow and water would quickly freeze (steam lances were probably safer to the user than flame guns although you obviously needed either a steam engine or a diesel with a boiler to use a steam lance) .  the trick was therefore to get salt down on the slide chairs as soon as they were cleared and ideally to slosh it with oil to avoid rust on the slides.  But it was always a battle against nature if the snow was still falling and especially if ground temperature was below freezing - I spent several hours of New Year's Night 1978/79 desperately trying to clear and keep clear both ends of a long double slip and it was re-freezing almost as quickly as I managed to clear it.

Provided you could keep them clear it was usually the simplest to clear and keep clear points in deep settled snow but you had to take care to clear out any icing between the switch and stock rails when they were moved or you were back to square one (hence the old hands would have a special scraper ready for use in such circumstances).  A long way from  'silly soft stuff' is snow.