Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

Will the Hornby announcement now include Oxford Rail as the two companies are effectively 'joined at the hip'?

I wouldn't expect so but we'll see I suppose.

Oxford (Diecast and Rail) usually do three announcements a year. January, May and September.

• RMweb Premium

I fear the money is on a Lord Nelson from both Hornby and Bachmann...

The one from Hornby will be the one with different size driving wheels and weird valve settings.

The one from Bachman will be the one with the longer boiler.

Excellent.

P

The one from Hornby will be the one with different size driving wheels and weird valve settings.

The one from Bachman will be the one with the longer boiler.

Excellent.

P

And if Wrenn Railways was still about they would announce one too but it would be a parallel boilered Scott in a bright green livery with the words Southern on the tender.

• RMweb Premium

Not normally contributing to this elegantly discussed topic, I wish that Hornby would re-hash (sic!) their Pacific chassis, getting away from the one design suits all! For me the Bachmann pace is just fine. Now if Bachmann and Hornby could equal their bogie well wagons to that of the Oxford crew, which run splendidly as well as look good, that would be something. Oh, and somebody please produce a Trans-Pennine 6 car unit and a 4-COR EMU..

Having reached an age when nothing excites me any more all I know is if I remember the announcements are being made so as to log in - which isn't a given - it'll most likely be the most crashing anti-climax Chez Wombat as, realistically, I have Buckley's chance of anyone announcing a Class 304 or 310. If either of those races over the horizon I might just register some emotion but otherwise it'll more likely be "Oh that's nice" or "Oh good grief, not again" or "You are having a giraffe" or "Pfft. Whatever".

Cynicism is a consequent condition of getting older.

• Like 1

Not normally contributing to this elegantly discussed topic, I wish that Hornby would re-hash (sic!) their Pacific chassis, getting away from the one design suits all! For me the Bachmann pace is just fine. Now if Bachmann and Hornby could equal their bogie well wagons to that of the Oxford crew, which run splendidly as well as look good, that would be something. Oh, and somebody please produce a Trans-Pennine 6 car unit and a 4-COR EMU..

I am having a hard time trying to think which Hornby Pacifics share the same chassis these days. They look all completely different toolings to me.

• RMweb Premium

Here's my speculation on next month's announcements.

For all-new tooling, I'm predicting either a NBR J36 or D34 Glen class, a completely new rebuilt Bulleid Merchant Navy and following on an industrial/small shunter theme, a newly-tooled up BR class 06.

There'll be several notable anniversaries happening next year:

1918 - end of WW1 - a J36 in Railway Operating Dept. livery (if any existed in that form)

1948 - 60th anniversary of the establishment of British Railways - there'll be locos produced in experimental liveries.

Several will appear to represent locos used in the locomotive exchange trials, including some that haven't been in the catalogue for years, e.g. Thompson 01 2-8-0.

1958 - introduction of class 40s into service - Hornby will reproduce an early version of the class with TTS sound.

1968 - last regular BR steam - 45110 on 15 Guinea Special in special train pack with Mk1s.

On the contemporary front, Hornby may release Virgin Trains East Coast's forthcoming Azuma (with simplified details) as a new train set for the junior market.

The Brighton Belle might be released in its latest version certified for mainline use, including new headlights and ex-CIG motor and trailing bogies.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think the Lord Nelson, is probably already signed off for imminent production.

Other than that I think the SR will be well catered for, with another batch of Air-smoothed Merchant Navy's - quite possibly a Series 1 in War time black with deflectors, Series 2 in both BR Blue & Green (one will in be TTS) and a Series 3. Plus the already leaked revised Brighton Belle, a S15 with a six-wheeled tender and a School's with LN tender ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Personally I think the Lord Nelson, is probably already signed off for imminent production.

Other than that I think the SR will be well catered for, with another batch of Air-smoothed Merchant Navy's - quite possibly a Series 1 in War time black with deflectors, Series 2 in both BR Blue & Green (one will in be TTS) and a Series 3. Plus the already leaked revised Brighton Belle, a S15 with a six-wheeled tender and a School's with LN tender ;)

Actually the 'other' group of S15s, the Uries, would be good!

A. Maunsell

• RMweb Gold

Actually the 'other' group of S15s, the Uries, would be good!

A. Maunsell

That could happen as well, as could the later H15's...

Oh and I nearly forgot the Skaledale Limited Edition: Men in Malachite Air-Smoother complete with two scale MiM figures and their 'patient' - complete with a signed certificate* and a free trail Air-Smoothing session  :jester:  :jester:

*Signed by the Grand Inquisitor himself and the person who gave the MiM the inspiration for the Air Smoother**  :jester: 

** Oops he doesn't know he has a 1000 certificates to sign... 

Anniversaries

1918 - something in post war pre grouping splendour?

1948 - British Railways stencil writing. Perhaps a King or Castle? Pair the former with some Hawksworth coaches for a set. Maybe either the newish MN or the new Duchess either to wring more cash from newish tools.

1968 - 15 Guinea Special?

Lots of easy pickings...

• Like 1

Anniversaries

1918 - something in post war pre grouping splendour?

1948 - British Railways stencil writing. Perhaps a King or Castle? Pair the former with some Hawksworth coaches for a set. Maybe either the newish MN or the new Duchess either to wring more cash from newish tools.

1968 - 15 Guinea Special?

Lots of easy pickings...

Not forgetting the loco exchanges of 1948. I see a Castle with some nice Gresley teaks on the horizon . . .

(Or there could be that Bulleid Pacific that had to be fitted with a tender from a Black Five for working on the GC main line as the Southern didn't approve of the idea of water troughs right next to 3rd rail)

Hornby could well do a 15 guinea special train pack. All it would require is a Black Five, a maroon Mk1 and some more mk1s in blue and grey.

• Like 1