Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Premium

Told ya!

Well,100 years since the end of the Great War so how about a Return from the Bosch set with something like a SER Wainwright B1 and a decent set of SER 100 seaters, what?

Hello Timothy

I agree something from the SER or as it later became the SECR.

Wot about a set of these to go with the BIL and HAL? :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 2

We have got used to seeing a whole range of passenger stock being issued. What is missing? Certainly GWR non-corridor stock and perhaps to a lesser extent SR suburban stock - although there are some examples of the latter.

We might also see a further expansion of the Mark 1 range.

Finally freight stock, I sometimes find the choices that Bachmann and Hornby make in this respect a bit strange. So that rather than getting something that was around in large numbers, we get something of an rarity/oddity. These are I suppose sell well. We have had luggage vans/GUVs for the Southern, LMS and LNER. These have made the Hornby (previously Airfix/Mainline/Lima) Siphons seem rather long in the tooth - about time we had a GWR equivalent to the GUV.

The SR did not build any loco-hauled suburban stock, apart from maybe completing a few leftover pre-grouping orders. Of the other three, GWR is the only one Hornby has not covered for non-gangwayed passenger stock, and we have seen two lots for the LNER. I agree that some non-passenger GWR stock such as a Siphon or maybe a Fruit D or some other kind of van would be good. There were plenty to choose from.

10563465984_b7f7751125_z.jpg4935_LeamingtonSpa_1950 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

There is only one major gap in the Mark I gangwayed range across Hornby and Bachmann, the RB, as made many years ago by Mainline. It's now the only gangwayed type of which more than 100 were built that has not been the subject of an RTR model in the last 20 years.  There are lots of other types not covered too, mostly catering, but they were built in smaller numbers. Mark I non-gangwayed passenger stock has not been done since the now rather dated Bachmann ones (short frame) and those done by Replica (long frame).

We are still rather lacking in pre-nationalisation catering cars.

• Like 3

Hello Timothy

I agree something from the SER or as it later became the SECR.

Wot about a set of these to go with the BIL and HAL? :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

One of these would go quite well with a Bil or Hal:

24237388245_fdd9e45d3f_z.jpg4-Sub_4277_RaynesPark_26-5-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

As would one of these:

7164911436_fdca45cc7a_z.jpg4-COR_3101_Weybridge_28-7-64 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 4

Been biting my tongue, but now others have weighed in, the 4-COR would get my money in a heartbeat, though I'd prefer Bachmann to do it based on the comparison between the Hornby 4-VEP nightmare :O  against the Bachmann 4-CEP very acceptable model... :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Somebody mentioned SR Suburban Stock. Baccy did a BR Mk1 Sub, a shorty Diagram; I wonder if they could threaten to do long versions in SR Green so that Replica might just reintroduce their versions? I'm on the list for 5 set but I can't see that appearing anytime soon.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Somebody mentioned SR Suburban Stock. Baccy did a BR Mk1 Sub, a shorty Diagram; I wonder if they could threaten to do long versions in SR Green so that Replica might just reintroduce their versions? I'm on the list for 5 set but I can't see that appearing anytime soon.

Phil

Hi Phil

You've gotta be quick before I buy them all for making ER AC Mk1 EMUs.  http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/ready-to-run-items/self-assembly

• Like 1

Been biting my tongue, but now others have weighed in, the 4-COR would get my money in a heartbeat, though I'd prefer Bachmann to do it based on the comparison between the Hornby 4-VEP nightmare :O  against the Bachmann 4-CEP very acceptable model... :jester:

The Hornby 2 Bil was pretty good and the 2 Hal better and, so far as I am aware (I don't have one) their 5 Bel was good too. The only one they messed up on badly was the 4 Vep.

The Hornby 2 Bil was pretty good and the 2 Hal better and, so far as I am aware (I don't have one) their 5 Bel was good too. The only one they messed up on badly was the 4 Vep.

Agreed, indeed I've a couple of 2-BILs and avoided the 4-VEP in favor of the 4-CEP following the reviews/reports, hence the preference for Blue to do a 4-COR - if they use the same running gear and lighting connections it'd be luvverly...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you'll find any of the major companies doing crowdfunding. I'm not sure it's even legal for them to do so, and I doubt their accountants would approve. Investment in carefully selected projects and a set level of return on that investment is the only way that a company like Hornby is likely to proceed, and 'playing safe' will likely be the rule of thumb for 2018. (CJL)

I can't see Hornby doing crowd funding, but I could see them looking at options to move towards manufacturing to pre-order in the way that Rapido do. And if they do that then it is just one more step to direct sales, if you move to a pre-order sales model then it is questionable whether a conventional retail chain really adds anything if their role is to take an order months in advance of release then just act as an intermediary in the distribution chain.

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a belief that there will be enough staff remaining at Hornby to write more future 'Engine Sheds' (and similar comms from the indians).

Hmmm.

Sound of hammer hitting nail I think. Sadly. At the moment the product development team are probably one of the biggest assets Hornby have, if they have any sense they'll make sure they retain that team.

• RMweb Premium

wonder how well the chinese might do here if some bright spark started an all new range of 3mm/ft models and track etc.......a good compromise between N and 00 and would overcome the perennial issue of 00 track looking narrow gauge in some circles.

Is that with 12mm track or 14.2mm track?

• RMweb Premium

Why so many people in denial when the original image was shown in another thread?

Roy

Because we are flat Aurthers...............................and we like to spread Christmas cheer to all who insist because they recognise a Bullrush?

P