Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Gold

Didn’t that actually get released by Replica after Airfix went bust? I’m sure I’ve got one .

Sort of, but it doesn't match the Airfix/GMR ones as it has a Mainline-style underframe and bogies as used on the panelled stock.

I haven't seen any for a good few years so it's anybody's guess if the tooling still exists. The advent of the Hornby one renders it moot, anyway.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Funnily enough they are all in the Ramsay Guide and I received a free copy from Rails today. Bulleids and Birdcages are the main ones. The latter finally making an appearance recently.

I never thought that I would be interested, but it's a very useful book. Now I know the Maunsell coaches that have been released. Useful for hunting down the ones I want to complete the sets.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Sort of, but it doesn't match the Airfix/GMR ones as it has a Mainline underframe and bogies as used on the panelled stock.

I haven't seen any for a good few years so it's anybody's guess if the tooling still exists. The advent of the Hornby one renders it moot, anyway.

John

Thanks John. I never realised that. I thought it would have been the same as the brake one , because they were both 57’ . But that makes sense . I must hunt it out and have a look

Seeing as Airfix is now part of Hornby it probably is relevant to put what they had planned.

Locomotives:

SR Schools 4-4-0

LNER B1 4-6-0

LMS Compound 4-4-0

GWR 43XX 2-6-0

SR LN 4-6-0

WD 2-8-0

SR U 2-6-0

LNER J69 0-6-0T

LMS Crab 2-6-0

LSWR O2 0-4-4T

LSWR G6 0-6-0T

LMS Black 5 4-6-0

LMS 8F 2-8-0

LT 1938 Underground Stock

Coaches:

SR Bulleid Stock

LNER Gresley Corridor Stock

SR Birdcage Stock

LMS Sleeper

LNER Non Corridor Stock

Wagons:

SR 25T Brake Van

LNER Fruit Van

GWR Tube Wagon

GWR Ro Rail Milk Tanker

16T Mineral Wagon

Plate Wagon

Cowans Sheldon 45T Crane

So quite a lot that were direct rivals for existing models.

Jason

• Like 1

Well as we're talking about Hornby 2018 AND now referring to Airfix  --  the Airfix web site has  a similar black/blank cover for its 2018 catalogue preview as Hornby does.

HOWEVER, underneath it says ;

"... |2018 is another exciting year for Airfix, with dozens of new releases over the coming year! ..."

No idea how many of these "dozens" are new moulds and how many re-releases or old models with new markings  -  BUT it is interesting that they are being so positive. 

• Like 2

A number of threads have included reference to the significant number of releases by multiple manufacturers in recent months, some of them long-awaited. Real-world modellers with other bills to pay have had to prioritise their spending, and the biggest-ticket items may have suffered reduced sales, however glamorous or successful their rendition.

Quite. Its worth bearing in mind when comparisons are made with the price of locomotives in the "old days" and how when inflation is factored in they are still comparable in real terms, that in those "old days" new releases were few and far between. Saving up for a model costing the equivalent of close on £200 when its the only show in town is one thing, but when new release succeeds new release its a pretty expensive game

• RMweb Gold

Returning to the new year speculation and froth originally intended... here’s my sweepstake and bonus balls, counting down to outright “wish on a stars”...!

Hornby

SR Lord Nelson - seems pretty much a given on the circumstantial evidence.

NBR J36 0-6-0 - Good tie in with end of WW1, names, wide range / longevity, dip a toe into Scotland, lovely pregroup livery option

Aventra EMU (Elizabeth Line) - keeping up with the latest and all that

Hudswell Clark 0-6-0T industrial - side tank ‘gap’ in the surging industrial market.

Some ‘end of steam 1968’ packs involving black 5s, Britannia’s and / or 8Fs

Bachmann (accepting likely long production times / priority on clearing backlog)

SECR ‘D’ 4-4-0 - stunningly beautiful, NRM tie-in, obvious big SECR gap / opportunity, “if you announce one totally new tooling make it a blinder”

BR 78xxx 2MT 2-6-0 - v practical, wish list gap for years running, transferable tooling from ivatt 2MT, ‘easy win’

Retooled GWR Manor (or possibly 43xx / one followed by the other, as they share so many tooling parts?).

Scotrail Hitachi 385 (or 380 Desiro) EMU (latter if they’re mainly catching up on production; former if they’re catching the zeitgeist)

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST - attractive and safe hop on the industrial bandwagon.

Also rans / bonus balls - perhaps one from among this lot?

GWR ‘The Great Bear’ 4-6-2 - could be Hornbys next Cock o the North / “didn’t see that one coming” number, building on Castle tooling

GWR Saint (reckon head to head in 2019 as both Hornby & Bachmann try to capitalise on Lady of Legend steaming)

Caledonian 812 0-6-0 (in blue please please please...!)

L&YR Aspinall 27 0-6-0 (seems Bachmann-esque?)

BR (WR) 15xx 0-6-0PT (next Model Rail / Rapido commission?)

Southern Q 0-6-0 (more Hornby’s scene... tho v ‘4F’ish too?)

NER G5 0-4-4T (Reckon Hornby might follow Q6 with this, but year or 2 away?)

NER J27 or J21 0-6-0 (if Bachmann don’t get there first, DJ Models / Heljan?)

Caledonian 439 0-4-4T (Hornby development of M7?)

GER J69 0-6-0T (Hornby?)

BR (WR) gas turbine ‘kerosene castle’ (more likely a commission - Heljan?)

Maybes... Rapido, Commissions, or left field head turners

NBR Glen 4-4-0

LNWR Precedent 2-4-0 Hardwicke

S160 or WD 2-10-0 - seems a logical Rapido ‘UK meets US’ development?

GWR Bulldog 4-4-0 (logical Bachmann development from dukedog, requiring only boiler tooling)

LNWR Claughton, or George V (I’m wishing now)

NER 4-4-0

Highland Jones Goods (come on Rapido!)

Quite a wide field, but will be pretty chuffed with any of these as developments... looking forward to what new year may bring :-)

Edited by craigowen1976
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well as we're talking about Hornby 2018 AND now referring to Airfix  --  the Airfix web site has  a similar black/blank cover for its 2018 catalogue preview as Hornby does.

"... |2018 is another exciting year for Airfix, with dozens of new releases over the coming year! ..."

No idea how many of these "dozens" are new moulds and how many re-releases or old models with new markings  -  BUT it is interesting that they are being so positive. 

I've no idea whether they're making much profit, but from a product quality perspective Airfix has been making some very impressive kits in recent years and have thrived under Hornby ownership. They don't seem to have resorted to giveaway fire sales to the extent Hornby did at one point either. Yes, they have some good discounts on some kits and from time to time you see some corking bargains but it seems very different from the scenario Hornby got themselves into at one point.

Quite. Its worth bearing in mind when comparisons are made with the price of locomotives in the "old days" and how when inflation is factored in they are still comparable in real terms, that in those "old days" new releases were few and far between. Saving up for a model costing the equivalent of close on £200 when its the only show in town is one thing, but when new release succeeds new release its a pretty expensive game

Multiple releases and multiple crowd funding items too. Both asking for money at the same time. I have still plenty of Sounthern related items on order due in 2018 and this following on from a frantic year of southern releases. There is utterly no way I can do advanced payments for a new APT-P, and to do so, everyone else would have to announce things that won,t really catch my interest (meaning little southern in my case). Of course that means they will do things which interest others which means this will have an influence on the sales of each project now announced.

So I (and each) will choose what best fits within my (theirs) layout's plans. My advice to any make is not to do multiple classes from the same region in one year, with one modern item (diesel era and beyond) item on top. But do several models of the one class when released.

• Like 1

It seems that Airfix have been releasing quite a few new versions of old models. Very impressive models too.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as Airfix is now part of Hornby it probably is relevant to put what they had planned.

Locomotives:

SR Schools 4-4-0

LNER B1 4-6-0

LMS Compound 4-4-0

GWR 43XX 2-6-0

SR LN 4-6-0

WD 2-8-0

SR U 2-6-0

LNER J69 0-6-0T

LMS Crab 2-6-0

LSWR O2 0-4-4T

LSWR G6 0-6-0T

LMS Black 5 4-6-0

LMS 8F 2-8-0

LT 1938 Underground Stock

Coaches:

SR Bulleid Stock

LNER Gresley Corridor Stock

SR Birdcage Stock

LMS Sleeper

LNER Non Corridor Stock

Wagons:

SR 25T Brake Van

LNER Fruit Van

GWR Tube Wagon

GWR Ro Rail Milk Tanker

16T Mineral Wagon

Plate Wagon

Cowans Sheldon 45T Crane

So quite a lot that were direct rivals for existing models.

Jason

Interesting how few items are left to do from that list:

43xx: defunct Bachmann model, new one announced by Dapol

LN: defunct Bachmann model, new one widely rumoured from Hornby

SR U  [VACANCY]

J69 [VACANCY]

G6 [VACANCY] some G6s were very similar to some O2s and it would be interesting to know if DJM/Kernow's tooling would allow one to be produced.

GWR Tube wagon [VACANCY]

GWR road-rail Milk tanker [VACANCY] an ideal project for blending the talents of Oxford and Hornby?

Plate wagon: being produced by Bachmann for TMC

Cowans Sheldon crane: the market for a big crane should be covered by the Ransomes & Rapier one coming from Bachmann. 

-----------------

Isn't it amazing just how much has been produced r-t-r in the past couple of decades.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Is this just referring to their railway range? If not then there are dozens of other things in their range that can be produced. 

P

• RMweb Premium

Interesting how few items are left to do from that list:

43xx: defunct Bachmann model, new one announced by Dapol

LN: defunct Bachmann model, new one widely rumoured from Hornby

SR U  [VACANCY]

J69 [VACANCY]

G6 [VACANCY] some G6s were very similar to some O2s and it would be interesting to know if DJM/Kernow's tooling would allow one to be produced.

GWR Tube wagon [VACANCY]

GWR road-rail Milk tanker [VACANCY] an ideal project for blending the talents of Oxford and Hornby?

Plate wagon: being produced by Bachmann for TMC

Cowans Sheldon crane: the market for a big crane should be covered by the Ransomes & Rapier one coming from Bachmann. 

-----------------

Isn't it amazing just how much has been produced r-t-r in the past couple of decades.

John

I think a list could include the 'other S15' (Urie). I don't think there would be a huge difference and would it only be a different 'body'?

Phil

Returning to the new year speculation and froth originally intended... here’s my sweepstake and bonus balls, counting down to outright “wish on a stars”...!

Hornby

NBR J36 0-6-0 - Good tie in with end of WW1, names, wide range / longevity, dip a toe into Scotland, lovely pregroup livery option

Hudswell Clark 0-6-0T industrial - side tank ‘gap’ in the surging industrial market.

Bachmann (accepting likely long production times / priority on clearing backlog)

SECR ‘D’ 4-4-0 - stunningly beautiful, NRM tie-in, obvious big SECR gap / opportunity, “if you announce one totally new tooling make it a blinder”

BR 78xxx 2MT 2-6-0 - v practical, wish list gap for years running, transferable tooling from ivatt 2MT, ‘easy win’

Retooled GWR Manor (or possibly 43xx / one followed by the other, as they share so many tooling parts?).

Scotrail Hitachi 385 (or 380 Desiro) EMU (latter if they’re mainly catching up on production; former if they’re catching the zeitgeist)

GWR ‘The Great Bear’ 4-6-2 - could be Hornbys next Cock o the North / “didn’t see that one coming” number, building on Castle tooling

GWR Saint (reckon head to head in 2019 as both Hornby & Bachmann try to capitalise on Lady of Legend steaming)

GER J69 0-6-0T (Hornby?)

NBR Glen 4-4-0

GWR Bulldog 4-4-0 (logical Bachmann development from dukedog, requiring only boiler tooling)

NER 4-4-0

Quite a wide field, but will be pretty chuffed with any of these as developments... looking forward to what new year may bring :-)

No, the next Model Rail/Rapido exclusive is under discussion and the current front-runner is not on your list. Can't understand why the ro-rail milk tanker hasn't been done by someone. There are photos of it behind the tender of Stanier Pacifics, WR Castles and Brighton tanks. It has everything going for it, except tooling costs which would be substantial. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I still have a Lima catalogue which shows the coming soon Class 101 centre car in Network SouthEast livery which I have had on order with a now defunct retailer since about 1993....

• RMweb Gold

Hornby

GER J69 0-6-0T (Hornby?)

NBR Glen 4-4-0

NER 4-4-0

DJM announced the Hudswell Clarke saddle tank (same type as done in 7mm by Ixion) some while ago, no idea how far he's got with it though.

G5 should be a good prospect. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is a full size one under construction.

I also reckon a retooled County 4-6-0 from Hornby timed to meet completion of the real one.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Everyone’s missed out the big “what might have been” in modelling history.

There’s some big plans in here..

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/images/stories/Downloads/5yrplan1986.pdf

Even draws reference to Dapol planning an 8f.

Also mentions the Dukedog being drawn up as of 1985, and a King Arthur would require new toolings, unlike the Lord Nelson.

But in the steam.. BR Std 2-6-2t has still yet to appear 30 years later, though the Ivatt 2-6-2t did.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

very interesting read that 1986 report (it presents and reads very basic by todays writing standards and language)...........just over 30 years ago I see they had an eye on inter alia AC EMU's......and the early ones referred to still have yet to see the light of day from anybody yet in RTR mass produced form.

Are there folk out there who would like to see a lovely 3 car Class 303 emu despite its limitations or perhaps Classes 304/9/310/312?

AC locos not mentioned at all back then.......

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

No, the next Model Rail/Rapido exclusive is under discussion and the current front-runner is not on your list. Can't understand why the ro-rail milk tanker hasn't been done by someone. There are photos of it behind the tender of Stanier Pacifics, WR Castles and Brighton tanks. It has everything going for it, except tooling costs which would be substantial. (CJL)

Mr Drummond's Car ? :jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling