Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Premium

Everyone’s missed out the big “what might have been” in modelling history.

There’s some big plans in here..

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/images/stories/Downloads/5yrplan1986.pdf

Even draws reference to Dapol planning an 8f.

Also mentions the Dukedog being drawn up as of 1985, and a King Arthur would require new toolings, unlike the Lord Nelson.

But in the steam.. BR Std 2-6-2t has still yet to appear 30 years later, though the Ivatt 2-6-2t did.

An interesting read.

A BR class 2 , either 2-6-0 or 2-6-2T would be very welcomed, trouble they do not appear that much different from the Ivatt types so I can see a reluctance to make them.

What struck me was the reference to the 313/507 type units. I have always said these would be good sellers with their wide variety of liveries and geographical locations.

That Replica report is a fascinating read, in particular picking up on an increasing growth in so-called "modern image" modelling, something borne out amongst those I know who are active modellers where I am one of a vanishingly small number having any plans for steam related modelling. The electric multiple unit analysis is also interesting and of course completely at odds with the received wisdom hereabouts.

I think the time is right for an OHL EMU that is compatible with the existing and planned AC electric releases. For my money this would be either a Class 304 (with moulding variations to produce the ER Class 305 and 308 types) which would happily sit alongside the Class 85 through to the Class 90, or the 310/312 with a similar fit. That said the PEP derived units would be an easy hit with third rail as well as OHL options.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes that Replica report is fascinating . Huge expansion plans . I have to say it’s all a bit far fetched , but it’s an interesting alternative history had Kader not directly come into the business through Bachmann.

I’ve often thought an emu was overdue. I’ve been thinking 313/314/315/507/508 family would be ideal . Ironically I bet we get one just as the real classes are ending their service.

• RMweb Premium

That Replica report is a fascinating read, in particular picking up on an increasing growth in so-called "modern image" modelling, something borne out amongst those I know who are active modellers where I am one of a vanishingly small number having any plans for steam related modelling. The electric multiple unit analysis is also interesting and of course completely at odds with the received wisdom hereabouts.

I think the time is right for an OHL EMU that is compatible with the existing and planned AC electric releases. For my money this would be either a Class 304 (with moulding variations to produce the ER Class 305 and 308 types) which would happily sit alongside the Class 85 through to the Class 90, or the 310/312 with a similar fit. That said the PEP derived units would be an easy hit with third rail as well as OHL options.

Hi Mark

It would more than likely be a 304/2 which has no coaches that were the same as any in the 302/305/307/308 units, or even the 304/1. A 304/1 could with a little work on the DTBS be made into a 305 or 308 4 car units. New cabs a 302. A good basis for a 307 with new cabs, or a Southend unit (1500 DC version). All would need new under gubbins for the MBS. Since I have been modelling these units and looking at their underframe equipment I can tell a 305 from a 308 by what is hanging below the MBS. 

• Like 2

Yes that Replica report is fascinating . Huge expansion plans . I have to say it’s all a bit far fetched , but it’s an interesting alternative history had Kader not directly come into the business through Bachmann.

I’ve often thought an emu was overdue. I’ve been thinking 313/314/315/507/508 family would be ideal . Ironically I bet we get one just as the real classes are ending their service.

Yep. I think that anyone producing one now has missed the boat.

Just with the Merseyrail ones you could have had lots of interesting liveries and vinyls such as the Capital Of Culture ones and The Beatles. I think they even done them for the football teams.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Why Hornby won’t open of products range 2018 on 1st Jan 2018 ?

I liked before Hornby was started new product of 2016/17 by show was Christmas Day and why late one week from hattons will ready show new product of Bachmann and Hornby 2018 ?

'cos it's a Bank Holiday and they won't be at work...........

I rather suspect that having been starved for so long, we would.

On the wider issue of pre-grouping liveries there may be a touch of the demographics starting to kick in here. The popular theory goes that modellers prefer to replicate what they knew and loved in their youth, hence the dominance of British Railways steam , giving way to transition, and to green and to blue diesel. It follows therefore that sooner rather than later, its going to be a lot less significant in terms of the market place. I don't believe that interest in steam will die out. far from it, but I do think that interest will be a lot more wide-ranging and keener to look at older railways

. Quite agree I am a younger modeller and I don't remember BR steam and really loathe anything in BR black and really don't care which emblem it has on for goodness sake. However, my passion in the hobby is pre grouping why model the railways in there decline model them in there most glorious zenith.just a thought.
  • Like 4

. Quite agree I am a younger modeller and I don't remember BR steam and really loathe anything in BR black and really don't care which emblem it has on for goodness sake. However, my passion in the hobby is pre grouping why model the railways in there decline model them in there most glorious zenith.just a thought.

I've said before on this forum, I don't think younger generations will model what they remember because let's face it, the railway scene post 1990 (which is what I remember) , especially in the south is boring as hell. I think mine and younger generations will be more inclined to model what's interesting and / or easily doable in RTR. Ofcourse, I could be wrong.

I too, could not care less about the BR period or what followed... :P

Edit: Ohhh how I wish I could jump in a time machine and visit my local train station (Hove) in 1943 and just watch the wartime railway activity all day long

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

Ohhh how I wish I could jump in a time machine and visit my local train station (Hove) in 1943 and just watch the wartime railway activity all day long

And get arrested  :triniti:

Aaaargh - ninja'd

Edited by Caledonian

It was well before my time as well.

But I think the late 1940s and early 1950s was probably the most interesting era in railway history. Modern locomotives mixing with locomotives that were built in the 1860s and 1870s. Large locomotives pulling expresses at 100 MPH plus. Loads of experimental things happening such as with the Bulleids, BR Standards and early diesels.

And the clincher is nearly every locomotive was painted in LNWR Black livery, whether lined or not. Thanks Mr Riddles. :)

Jason

• Like 1

I don't think younger generations will model what they remember because let's face it, the railway scene post 1990 (which is what I remember) , especially in the south is boring as hell.

Yes yes yes and yes! (As a 19yr old from Cornwall)

I do have to disagree about the BR period though, the lined black locos with maroon coaches, long lines of filthy bauxite vans and a filthier freight loco or even a demoted express loco on the front, it's an atmosphere unlike any other.

That's not to say the pregroupings different atmosphere is not equal though or that of any other steam period, steam rules supreme after all (for me at least)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank goodness we don’t alll have the same interests... it’s what makes my hobby so interesting.

And just imagine the torment if every new release was something that you wanted, but no way can you afford to buy it all! It’s bad enough now ffs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've said before on this forum, I don't think younger generations will model what they remember because let's face it, the railway scene post 1990 (which is what I remember) , especially in the south is boring as hell. I think mine and younger generations will be more inclined to model what's interesting and / or easily doable in RTR. Ofcourse, I could be wrong.

I too, could not care less about the BR period or what followed... :P

Edit: Ohhh how I wish I could jump in a time machine and visit my local train station (Hove) in 1943 and just watch the wartime railway activity all day long

The Station at Hove is a Railway Station, or it was in 1943...............................................

But I think the late 1940s and early 1950s was probably the most interesting era in railway history. Modern locomotives mixing with locomotives that were built in the 1860s and 1870s. Large locomotives pulling expresses at 100 MPH plus. Loads of experimental things happening such as with the Bulleids, BR Standards and early diesels.

You have it exactly right, Jason.

It is the sheer variety of things you can run together prototypically that makes early BR a most interesting period and certainly not all in black.

Like many, I have taken a recent interest in SE&CR, with its colourful liveries. Yet already there is a sameness about it that never applied to BR. I think that would also apply to any pre-grouping line.

Yet here we are so many decades down the line and still we have large numbers of loco types still running on BR in the 1950s but not yet available in RTR.

It has been interesting to read the views of young people who never knew the steam railway. It seems they can look at the whole steam package from Rocket to 1968 and choose the period that looks on paper to be the most interesting.

Those of us born into the steam era (early 1940's for me) maybe see things from the perspective of first hand knowledge. Speaking as a full time model painter and builder, I could model any period of the steam-era I choose, but I have always chosen the mid to late 1950's. When I think of that period, it isn't merely the railway that comes to mind, but a whole host of other things in my life like my grandparents, uncles and aunties, old buses, school life and the way we lived at that time. This probably explains why I cannot identify with pre-war locos and coaches despite their interesting liveries and stories of the old days handed down by my forefathers.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It has been interesting to read the views of young people who never knew the steam railway. It seems they can look at the whole steam package from Rocket to 1968 and choose the period that looks on paper to be the most interesting.

Those of us born into the steam era (early 1940's for me) maybe see things from the perspective of first hand knowledge. Speaking as a full time model painter and builder, I could model any period of the steam-era I choose, but I have always chosen the mid to late 1950's. When I think of that period, it isn't merely the railway that comes to mind, but a whole host of other things in my life like my grandparents, uncles and aunties, old buses, school life and the way we lived at that time. This probably explains why I cannot identify with pre-war locos and coaches despite their interesting liveries and stories of the old days handed down by my forefathers.

I fall into the same bracket, as someone who likes to collect, play and I do my own modelling projects occasionally, my core interest is 1950-60’s as it was the era which as a child of the 70’s was filled with of anecdotes of adults around me every weekend for 10years when volunteering at a railway museum...it literally filled my head with a time I never knew.

However as an adult, I’ve amassed 100k photographs in 80 countries I’ve travelled for work, which means the other half of my collection is filled with changing scene of UK railways in the 1980’s-90’s that firmly stops at privatisation, but includes numerous preserved locos in all kinds of Pre1948/1923 liveries from various lines, and from the 90’s onwards represents locos from Brazil, China, USA,Canada, South Africa, Australia, Russia, Ukraine and all over Europe, working and preserved..

In short I have way more than I need, and need excuses to weave things like a Fraetsch Brazilian diesel into my layouts storyline, though my Kowloon Canton WD and TCDD 8f is easier, it could be preserved and they came from over ere, but not the QJ ! I’ve been waiting for a Eureka Garret to appear on ebay Europe for years, only seen 1 in 2 years.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2