Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

sounds a good idea.  everyone else has had their 00 blinkers on.

If we take the N gauge market to be 10% of the market then that market is pretty small compared to the market they are currently in.

If we then take into consideration that Farish/Bachmann  and Dapol have already made models of most of the things that will sell well then I can't see it being financially viable for Hornby to enter a new market.

Don't forget they had an N gauge range until the 1980s with the Minitrix brand. Then I think they sold it to Bachmann.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Was there ever a golden age to railways? Would you have liked to work very long hours for little pay and poor working conditions, pre-grouping is the one for you. Not much better during the Big Four days, plus the depression and the war. Early days of Nationalisation, not very good, then the modernisation and the good Doctor. Were railways better during the sectorisation period or was BR just waiting for privatisation. 

We all have our own favorite period we like to model so go on Hornby a Swindon 3 car cross country unit in green with small yella ends just for Clive as it is his golden age.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

And, quite apart from the inconvenience and cost of slippy-slidey syndrome in that season, the rail travel experience has been reduced, as those trees now often obscure the countryside vistas that made it such a joy.

But they do help deaden the noise for local residents. We have a motorway about 3 miles away, but we can only hear it in the winter when the trees surrounding the house have shed their leaves.

And, quite apart from the inconvenience and cost of slippy-slidey syndrome in that season, the rail travel experience has been reduced, as those trees now often obscure the countryside vistas that made it such a joy.

Not only that, but even if they wanted to remove trees within the railway curtailage, would they not have to do an environmental impact study and get planning permission for each tree they wanted to fell?  The bane of short-termism and unintended consequences rumbles on...

But they do help deaden the noise for local residents. We have a motorway about 3 miles away, but we can only hear it in the winter when the trees surrounding the house have shed their leaves.

The problem with "local residents" in the UK is that they move to a property close to a noise source that has been there for centuries and then start whinging about the noise.  Church bells are a particular target for this sort of whiner. 

I don't know about anywhere else but in South London (e.g. along lines to Croydon) waste swathes of trees have been cut down in the past few years. And each time they appear to have finished they come back for more. Can't just be leaves - some of the trees left look pretty precarious, at danger of falling on to the line, or on to a line side property.

Looks like a falcon brass kit I have built one or 2

Just had a look at the Falcon website and they are available without the castings.

And on the Dart/MJT website they have "coming soon" "GCR/LNER 10FT 6IN FOX BOGIES. This bogie is well known for being used on the so called Barnum coaches on the GCR".

So it looks like I'm sorted apart from working out what types of buffers and other fittings I'll need. I've got the drawings somewhere. :)

Jason

It is odd how we see and remember different things, or how we think we remember them.  The end of steam spread over almost a decade as far as my railway interests were concerned and through much of that decade you could still see clean steam engines hauling clean trains - as the thread below showing pictures from 1963 shows, but it also includes some workaday dirty engines.  And of course it is easy enough, for me at any rate, to recall the late 1950s/early '69s of shiny new diesels alongside newly overhauled steam which some sheds still had sufficient labour to keep reasonably clean while stations and infrastructure were still repainted regularly and had sufficient staff to keep things in a reasonable condition.  Yes there were areas which were not so good but decrepitude was far from universal and the lineside was unbelievably tidy and looked after compared with today.  For comparison many 1930s photos show a situation not too much different from that - many smaller engines were distinctly grubby if not downright filthy and railways going through financial pain clearly didn't waste money on cleaning and painting some of their infrastructure.  As ever the past is what you remember of it or the image which photos etc project.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66922-the-stationmaster-says-goodbye-to-steam-at-henley-on-thames/page-1

It wasn't just the steam locos and I suspect wasn't even Dr. Beeching. I did a lot of long distance travelling on the railways in the 70s [going to battle-reenactments funnily enough] and although it was all diesel hauled by then it was still the old railway when you could travel overnight armed with a folding route map to make all sorts of diversions and dodging about when connections were missed. Something has changed and it harks back to en earlier conversation when I suggested that the main reason why blue diesel Scottish layouts are so popular is that they are effectively GWR BLTs with diesels.

Steering this back on topic, I'd certainly like to see some steam Scottish BLTs and from Hornby some locos to run them.

• Like 2

If we take the N gauge market to be 10% of the market then that market is pretty small compared to the market they are currently in.

If we then take into consideration that Farish/Bachmann  and Dapol have already made models of most of the things that will sell well then I can't see it being financially viable for Hornby to enter a new market.

Jason

I don't know about entering a new market, but it strikes me that there are still a fair few items of stock which are available in N Gauge but not in 00

Don't forget they had an N gauge range until the 1980s with the Minitrix brand. Then I think they sold it to Bachmann.

Hornby acted as the UK agents for Minitrix, Trix later sold direct but pretty much dropped the UK range completely but continue to trade after merging with Märklin, no Bachmann in the mix there.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe all ex-Margate, ex-Dapol and ex-Lima tooling should now be classified as Railroad, priced more competitively for modellers on limited budgets and differentiated in their catalogues with distinct online and printed presentation even to the extent of separate product numbering codes.

I actually think they should bin most of it.

Railroad quality for modellers in the 1990s consisted of Steam older people could remember, and Modern Image that people saw every day.

Both were cheap and cheerful at the time.

30 years later...

Older modellers don't want railroad quality, younger modellers don't have the cash, so the current need is Modern image (21st century) that they can afford, not railroad quality their parents, grandparents and increasingly great grand parents have moved away from.

And so say all of us - and that means dumping a lot of the ancient rubbish

Actually, I'm not seeing that much evidence on a Loco front in the current range beyond the Class 66 and the J94 - everything else (non-Railroad) is non-ancient rubbish.

On the wagons front, there are multiple offenders grading through inherited Dapol/Airfix/Mainline tooling (mostly at the better end) to the various Hornby 4-6 plank wagons and the like, plus the Ferry vans.

Coaching stock wise, the biggest stand out is the LMS 68' dining car which whilst not that bad should be retooled to fit in with the range of Staniers it is sold alongside. There are arguments for the MK 2Ds as well, but at least put NEM mounts on the bogies...

The MK3s are obviously in need of replacement, but Oxford very much muddies the waters there...

Was there ever a golden age to railways? Would you have liked to work very long hours for little pay and poor working conditions, pre-grouping is the one for you. Not much better during the Big Four days, plus the depression and the war. Early days of Nationalisation, not very good, then the modernisation and the good Doctor. Were railways better during the sectorisation period or was BR just waiting for privatisation. 

We all have our own favorite period we like to model so go on Hornby a Swindon 3 car cross country unit in green with small yella ends just for Clive as it is his golden age.

And for me!!

Hornby acted as the UK agents for Minitrix, Trix later sold direct but pretty much dropped the UK range completely but continue to trade after merging with Märklin, no Bachmann in the mix there.

Not according to the Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue by Pat Hammond.

Bachmann took over the range when they took over Trix and continued with it until they produced their own range. Then it passed to Gaugemaster who apparently still have it.

Don't forget the 00 gauge LNER A1 and A4 were old Trix/Lilliput models.

Jason

Not according to the Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue by Pat Hammond.

Bachmann took over the range when they took over Trix and continued with it until they produced their own range. Then it passed to Gaugemaster who apparently still have it.

Don't forget the 00 gauge LNER A1 and A4 were old Trix/Lilliput models.

You absolutely sure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trix_(company)

And

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachmann_Industries#Global_expansion

Chapter and verse there, and as you see the Minitrix brand/line never passed to Bachmann and was never sold by them, it was Liliput and their tooling that they bought.

• RMweb Gold

And, of course, the pre-grouping companies collectively killed, on average, a dozen of their staff every week because safety hadn't been invented.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

And, of course, the pre-grouping companies collectively killed, on average, a dozen of their staff every week because safety hadn't been invented.

The era of probably-preventable deaths carried on for as long as the railway had people on or about the p-way at will. In the wake of Clapham, the man from Dupont arrived in Bob Reid’s office with the opening gambit “Good morning, Chairman - how many staff have you killed today?” Arguably the pendulum subsequently swung too far the other way, with red-tape impairing efficiency in certain respects, but creating widows and orphans is not what an industry should be about.

Going back to the N Gauge question, don't forget that Hornby did the Liddle End Range, they stopped that a few years ago, and one shop I know of still has some.

How about Hornby O Gauge?

Come on, Dapol have made a success of it. :sungum:

You absolutely sure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trix_(company)

And

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachmann_Industries#Global_expansion

Chapter and verse there, and as you see the Minitrix brand/line never passed to Bachmann and was never sold by them, it was Liliput and their tooling that they bought.

Wikipedia though. I certainly wouldn't trust a Wiki page with very few sources.

Unfortunately there is little information in the Ramsay Guide as it only mentions the British outline models.

According to the Ramsay Guides, Bachmann acquired Lilliput and with it Trix and Minitrix. They sold the rights for British Minitrix to Gaugemaster.

Jason

Wikipedia though. I certainly wouldn't trust a Wiki page with very few sources.

Unfortunately there is little information in the Ramsay Guide as it only mentions the British outline models.

According to the Ramsay Guides, Bachmann acquired Lilliput and with it Trix and Minitrix. They sold the rights for British Minitrix to Gaugemaster.

Jason

It's the difference between Trix and British Trix,two different but linked companies.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Trix.