Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Premium

Amazing.  This thread is almost a day old and the usual suspects have not yet copied and pasted the same weary old wish list into this thread!!!

I'll give it another ten minutes....   :jester:

Amazing.  This thread is almost a day old and the usual suspects have not yet copied and pasted the same weary old wish list into this thread!!!

I'll give it another ten minutes....   :jester:

You've had ya 10 minutes now.    Grinch alert, " informative/useful " box duly selected again. 

• RMweb Premium

Amazing. This thread is almost a day old and the usual suspects have not yet copied and pasted the same weary old wish list into this thread!!!

I'll give it another ten minutes.... :jester:

If they do, it just goes to show there are plenty of prototypes not yet modelled (or updated to modern standards).

I'll have a kettle in black (or green) and some coaches and some (troublesome) trucks please.

:)

If they do, it just goes to show there are plenty of prototypes not yet modelled (or updated to modern standards).

I'll have a kettle in black (or green) and some coaches and some (troublesome) trucks please.

:)

From Hornby my wish is for a Class 50 unrefurbished finished in genuine rust holes with a seized main crankshaft and leaking oil and a wheel skate on No1 bogie :jester:

• Like 1

... there are plenty of prototypes not yet modelled ...

That's where the interest lies for me. There's absolutely no lack of subject matter, and we are not talking 'only the dreary leftovers' either, not by a long shot.

I have very much liked some of B&H's more recent subject selections, even though the large majority are no fit for my interest, because they have shown signs of some imagination. Hopefully that continues, because it has never been more vital. All these new competitors sniffing around...

Whereas up to about 18 months ago B&H had a near lock on my RTR budget, most of the past year and everything for at least a year ahead looks like coming from their competitors. If it is a good model I don't care what name is on the box: Cambridge, John Lewis, Lego, Russell-Hobbs, Speedo; a rose by any other name and all that. But I come from a background that was big on retention of existing customers, as far cheaper than winning new customers. Got to be careful not to allow Johnny come lately multiple free rolls of the dice with your customer base.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many items Bachmann will announce, and then find - the very next day - that Hornby is already well down the road with prototypes, and will have theirs on the market by June or September 2018! Not an ideal conjunction of dates for Bachmann?

John S

• RMweb Premium

There will be multiples of something, maybe also with items already announced by others (Hattons, DJM, etc).  Duplicated APT's maybe although I suppose Hornby could dust off the old model, stick a decent motor in it and throw it in the Railroad range without any major damage.

More pre-grouping coaches would be good. Sales of the few types produced so far have

been good I understand. There are so many opportunities for all manufacturers to tap into,

and there is good mileage to be had from the tooling if long lived prototypes are chosen.

There are still some post grouping types to model too. Why has the humble ( and numerous )

open 3rd been neglected for LMS and LNE. There is surely some money to be made there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's where the interest lies for me. There's absolutely no lack of subject matter, and we are not talking 'only the dreary leftovers' either, not by a long shot.

I have very much liked some of B&H's more recent subject selections, even though the large majority are no fit for my interest, because they have shown signs of some imagination. Hopefully that continues, because it has never been more vital. All these new competitors sniffing around...

Whereas up to about 18 months ago B&H had a near lock on my RTR budget, most of the past year and everything for at least a year ahead looks like coming from their competitors. If it is a good model I don't care what name is on the box: Cambridge, John Lewis, Lego, Russell-Hobbs, Speedo; a rose by any other name and all that. But I come from a background that was big on retention of existing customers, as far cheaper than winning new customers. Got to be careful not to allow Johnny come lately multiple free rolls of the dice with your customer base.

Hello everyone

34 hits a nail on the head here... believe it or not, when Accurascale launch next year there will be close on 30 manufacturers and 'commissioning bodies' (excluding smaller enterprises who only produce very limited short runs or bespoke items).

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we can be fairly certain that if someone announces a 4mm GWR autocoach it will be the wrong Diagram for 8/10 of interested modellers.

I'm prolly in the 2% then; I'm famous for being a minority.  Pretty much any auto trailer other that the ones already produced will do for me, with diagram N (Dapol possibility) being favourite.  But as both Hornby and Bachmann already do auto trailers to go with their respective auto locos, it is unlikely that we will see a new trailer from either manufacturer; we'd prolly not have seen the Hornby one had it not been inherited.

Edited by The Johnster

Looking forward to either an announcement on something I'm wanting or if not, then a chance for me to save money as I really have too much stuff anyway.

I'm guessing that there'll be an announcement of something pre-grouping that is now preserved (Probably Caledonian 812).

Something modern image (My knowledge of this era is limited so I won't bother guessing)

There always seems to be at least one large steam loco, probably a King Arthur.

A new set of coaches as I don't think any were announced last year.  Maybe some LBSCR coaches, but that's a wild guess.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That has given me an idea for the next big gimmick feature  - working water scoops.

Peco could do the troughs to fix the Bullhead rail.

Would work brilliantly with DCC and a little servo in the tender.

Can't seen any possible downside to this.

I can. They would fit them to SR loco tenders.

• RMweb Premium

I think it is fair to say though that based on the last 2-3 years, if Hornby announce something it will be here in up to 18 months . If Bachmann announce something it’s really 2 to 3 years . The 94xx was announced last year and is just in CAD , as an example. It is just the way they go about things . Bachmann tend to announce earlier, Hornby later in development cycle.

But it does mean if both annnounce the same model , Hornby is likely to be first to market

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

That has given me an idea for the next big gimmick feature  - working water scoops.

Peco could do the troughs to fix the Bullhead rail.

Would work brilliantly with DCC and a little servo in the tender.

Can't seen any possible downside to this.

Oh dear! I can see the start of another string of locked threads discussing what type of water trough was used by each pre-Grouping company, whether timber or steel, in depth (pun intended) on the angle of entry/exit and hence the length of straight and level track needed to model it prototypically, and then should the width be reduced in the proportion 16.5:18.what? and so ad infinausea... :no:

Edited by Pint of Adnams

If they both announce the same model, will one back off or will they both continue into production? An interesting point as we are somewhat limited in the modern image and pre grouping eras so allowing the other company to continue would open up other opportunities if the company dropped the model. Rory

If they both announce the same model, will one back off or will they both continue into production? An interesting point as we are somewhat limited in the modern image and pre grouping eras so allowing the other company to continue would open up other opportunities if the company dropped the model. Rory

Oh, I expect that they'll both continue, thus allowing the usual suspects to criticize both models for being wrong in different respects

Edited by rovex