Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Premium

Err, I think you mean 2 years and 9 months ago!

CoY

Is it really that long. I thought it was last years announcement, but you are correct that was the 1P I think. I’ve lost track . To be honest that’s why I don’t get excited by Bachmann announcements any more . The models can be years away. Hornby a little closer!

The Q Class at the Bluebell featured very prominently in the publicity junkett that they did moving the H Class to Warley.  They must at least have measured it....

That's a good shout.  Didn't they also say around the time of H class announcement that they had measured some other pieces of rolling stock at the Bluebell?

• RMweb Gold

Not forgetting the loco exchanges of 1948. I see a Castle with some nice Gresley teaks on the horizon . . .

(Or there could be that Bulleid Pacific that had to be fitted with a tender from a Black Five for working on the GC main line as the Southern didn't approve of the idea of water troughs right next to 3rd rail)

Hornby could well do a 15 guinea special train pack. All it would require is a Black Five, a maroon Mk1 and some more mk1s in blue and grey.

Maybe a Duchess and/or a rebuilt Scot fitted with a WD tender (lettered LMS) to work on the Southern along with some of those teasingly suggested Bulleid coaches.

If even half the Southern stuff that has either been suggested (and those that haven't but which would be quite quick and easy to get to market) were to come about, 2018 will leave me significantly poorer but smiling a lot.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A Castle Class single chimney, Collet tender , late BR Crest. Sort of like the old H-D Bristol Castle . Apart from a Steam limited edition, amazingly I don’t think they’ve ever released this variant. To me double chimneys disfigured the Castles.

• RMweb Gold

A Castle Class single chimney, Collet tender , late BR Crest. Sort of like the old H-D Bristol Castle . Apart from a Steam limited edition, amazingly I don’t think they’ve ever released this variant. To me double chimneys disfigured the Castles.

And make it a Landore one...with silvered buffers....... :angel:......In Memoriam Roy White.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 3

Hornby seem to concentrate on groups of models. The GE section has B12, D16, J15, B17 plus B1, K1, L1, O1. They have started on the NE section with the Q6, plus the LNER standard types. About time therefore they followed up with a J27 or B16/1 or G5. What I would really like however is a GC A5, although Bachmann seem to have adopted the GC.

Roger

• Like 2

Hornby seem to concentrate on groups of models. The GE section has B12, D16, J15, B17 plus B1, K1, L1, O1. They have started on the NE section with the Q6, plus the LNER standard types. About time therefore they followed up with a J27 or B16/1 or G5. What I would really like however is a GC A5, although Bachmann seem to have adopted the GC.

Roger

Take a bow, sir!

• Like 1

Perhaps Pendennis Castle too?  Isn't it close to returning to service?

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. This post got me thinking, what if?

No Frothing, no wishlisting.

Outside shot is a 94xx pannier OR, an early 27xx pannier.

Large prairie, but re-tooled.

A single-wheeler. Dean single, Midland single, or Caley 123, but done to Railroad standards. Possibly, tender driven.

Given the commonality of parts, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6-wheel Peckett. That would see me reaching for the wallet in short order.

Ian.

• Like 1

Hmm. This post got me thinking, what if?

No Frothing, no wishlisting.

Outside shot is a 94xx pannier OR, an early 27xx pannier.

Large prairie, but re-tooled.

A single-wheeler. Dean single, Midland single, or Caley 123, but done to Railroad standards. Possibly, tender driven.

Given the commonality of parts, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6-wheel Peckett. That would see me reaching for the wallet in short order.

Ian.

ERRR aren't Bachmann making the 94XX ??????? 

I really can't see Hornby announcing a 94xx because the caption under the photo on their blog basically said that they'd done some research but not taken it any further.

I think it's wishful thinking because of the waiting times for the Bachmann release.

Hornby seem to concentrate on groups of models. The GE section has B12, D16, J15, B17 plus B1, K1, L1, O1. They have started on the NE section with the Q6, plus the LNER standard types. About time therefore they followed up with a J27 or B16/1 or G5...

There's one type of loco missing from that list. Now, Hornby have begun to do the good thing for the extremely common 0-6-0 types and hopefully will continue.

What about 0-6-0T though? Having quite recently made their first ever accurate 0-6-0T from their own tooling - the J50, and very good too - I would like to see more. They have allowed Bachmann to steadily 'steal' the common GW and LMS design 0-6-0T classes; I doubt there's much mileage in duplication of the likes of the 57xx and Jinty which have now been around forever (and I feel Bachmann will find less than stellar sales for the renewed J72 because these have always looked well and being light keep going, going, going despite the split chassis). So that means ...

What I would really like however is a GC A5, although Bachmann seem to have adopted the GC.

I really thought they would round out their group of 3 native GC types with a tank loco, either the N5 or an A5. Given that in the past they  have 'done the rounds' of the big four with wheel arrangements, and considering their 0-6-2Tness stands at 56xx, E4, Coal Tank, the N5 was my guess.

• RMweb Gold

ERRR aren't Bachmann making the 94XX ???????

Despite to the contrary, we've seen no evidence of Bachmann actually making an 94xx.

They've spoken about it, sure....

Mind you, I've spoken at length about winning the lootery, but no.

It might appear that actually winning the lootery, and the 94xx, have about the same odds.

As usual, I will publicly recount my postings in public, should I be proved wrong. I've no gripe with Bachmann, and I fully support their drive to produce top quality models. , even the ones with 'bl**dy top feed'. My bets don't lie with Bachmann in this particular instance.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

What would be nice if Hornby could pad-out their LMS Corridor coache range a bit. The other thing i think is likely to be done if not this year, in the next couple a all new Princess Royal, able to cover all of the class.

Edited by farren

The Terrier is so long overdue for replacement that I really hope we see it this year but my gut feeling is that sadly it isn't going to happen. However, it would make a very useful model for Hornby given it's diminutive size making it ideal for inclusion in a train set at one end of the market but also offering endless detail and livery options for the collectors.

They still lack a big Southern tank in their range, even though the other big four have them. One day my prediction, that I have wheeled out for at least the last five years, will come true and we'll see either a G16, H16 or the Z. Similarly the Q class mentioned would make sense within their range. Alternatively if they want to honour historical anniversaries we may see the L Class "Remembrance".

Finally a SECR D Class would capitalise on the success of the H Class and perhaps deflect a similar move by Bachmann, who have perhaps lost out firstly to Hornby and then Hattons, by not pursuing the SECR fever they started.

• RMweb Premium

The Terrier is so long overdue for replacement that I really hope we see it this year but my gut feeling is that sadly it isn't going to happen. However, it would make a very useful model for Hornby given it's diminutive size making it ideal for inclusion in a train set at one end of the market but also offering endless detail and livery options for the collectors.

Maybe a Hatton's commission if Hornby don't go there, as you say endless variants, IoW for example.

What would be nice if Hornby could pad-out their LMS Corridor coache range a bit. The other thing i think is likely to be done if not this year, in the next couple a all new Princess Royal, able to cover all of the class.

Paul Isles did intimate to me at the Donny Show back in February that they were looking to do to other coach ranges what they did with the MK1 range; that is, expand the coach range with additional diagrams but keeping within the existing 'style'. You could therefore have additional LNER Gresley's (a BTK and TTO are big omissions), LMS Staniers (a CK, BCK and TO big omissions), SR Maunsell (Diner) or GWR Collets (BCK a big miss, and a diner and BG would be very nice indeed).

Let's see...

• Like 6