Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

Indeed, they do have their wings clipped. But a 2 + 4 formation is restricted to 100 mph - for the services they shall be on, this shall be more than satisfactory. (DfT has not allowed the leasing of an additional coach to make the 11 sets 2 + 5 and thus 125 mph). Remember from December 2018, Cornwall services between Plymouth and Penzance are going every half hour. Hence the need for the HST GTi's in the short term.

The 165/166s heading west, are all required (18 diagrams) in the Bristol area. The 165/166s start to take over the 158s in May 2018 on the Portsmouth/Cardiff, but full change over not until electrification is complete in CP6. 

They are a stop gap measure until there are sufficient class 158s to run the services. (of course, stop gap now means at least till 2022)

There is a list of the 43s staying, inc. all of those already painted into GWR. (and 43002). They certainly would make a good model, if Oxford and Hornby are now, indeed working in partnership. 

Dumb question, but haven't Hornby already released a Class 43 GWR and MK3 GWR coaches? What would the partnership with Oxford be needed for?

Let's see if those Bulleid coaches turn up in their announcement! ....and hopefully will  ARE BOUND TO be available sooner than the Bachmann ones. (Cheaper too!).

Edited for you Paftrain! I was very disappointed to see Bachmann announce Bulleids, and even more disappointed in the choice of C/Cream for most of the BR examples.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, they do have their wings clipped. But a 2 + 4 formation is restricted to 100 mph - for the services they shall be on, this shall be more than satisfactory. (DfT has not allowed the leasing of an additional coach to make the 11 sets 2 + 5 and thus 125 mph). Remember from December 2018, Cornwall services between Plymouth and Penzance are going every half hour. Hence the need for the HST GTi's in the short term.

The 165/166s heading west, are all required (18 diagrams) in the Bristol area. The 165/166s start to take over the 158s in May 2018 on the Portsmouth/Cardiff, but full change over not until electrification is complete in CP6. 

They are a stop gap measure until there are sufficient class 158s to run the services. (of course, stop gap now means at least till 2022)

There is a list of the 43s staying, inc. all of those already painted into GWR. (and 43002). They certainly would make a good model, if Oxford and Hornby are now, indeed working in partnership. 

The dead hand (and brain) of the DfT strikes again!

Thanks for the info; at least one of the re-thinks has obviously passed me by. :jester:

I must confess I hadn't realised the 165/166 class units were wider and thus route-limited. I don't ride on them often and thought the spacious feel was down to the seating layout.

John

• RMweb Premium

Not more b****Y Bulleids, would like some more stock of pre 40s vintage...

Now then, it is chill enough outside so that should keep you cool. You have a lifetime left to wait for some of your stock. Give us far#s a little slack. :blum:  :rtfm:

More Maunsells would be better............... :imsohappy:  :whistle:

Phil

Dumb question, but haven't Hornby already released a Class 43 GWR and MK3 GWR coaches? What would the partnership with Oxford be needed for?

Yes and Yes but.......

The HST trailers in the 2+4 sets will look significanlt different due to pocket doors. Imagine a Mk3 coach but with ends similar to a class 156.

The first power door Mk3s are expected out on the railway in a few weeks with XC, then Scotrails, then GWRs.

Edited by Covkid

Yes and Yes but.......

The HST trailers in the 2+4 sets will look significanlt different due to pocket doors. Imagine a Mk3 coach but with ends similar to a class 156.

The first power door Mk3s are expected out on the railway in a few weeks with XC, then Scotrails, then GWRs.

Don't Chiltern's count?

• RMweb Premium

Probably not for this year (too soon), but if I were Hornby I'd modify their Mk3s or maybe even just design one new coach with the new door mods. That would extend the life of their HST model, enabling GWT, Scotrail and XC to be modelled in future .  2+4 HSTs being very attractive as models

Don't Chiltern's count?

No. Because they are a different design. Might be wrong but I think the Chiltern doors more or less fit into the original door apertures. From a model point of view I suspect this could be an easy model modification by using 3D printed replacement doors on existing Mk3 models. AIUI the Wabtec modification involves gas axing most of each original Mk3 vestibule off, then welding in a new preassembled vestibule module.

I understand there were significant problems with making the Chiltern doors work because they largely had to be bespoke to each aperture of each vehicle. Because the Wabtec vestibules are unit construction they simply needed to be welded in as a complete unit.

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Premium

Let's see if those Bulleid coaches turn up in their announcement! ....and hopefully will be available sooner than the Bachmann ones.

If they do, I just hope that Hornby doesn't rush them out as they did with their Mk2e coaches, because in doing so they made rather a hash of them. If they do announce them, I hope they go for some different diagrams at least.