Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't mind seeing the Clan released for another run, second hand models are being listed at crazy prices (if you can find one at all)

Jim

Not going to happen if reports are true sadly.  The moulds for the Clan were allegedly lost although I have never seen anything official to confirm this.

How about the Mk1 BSO and FK in the Railroad range for sub twenty quid a pop please?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not going to happen if reports are true sadly.  The moulds for the Clan were allegedly lost although I have never seen anything official to confirm this.

How about the Mk1 BSO and FK in the Railroad range for sub twenty quid a pop please?

Paul Isles did intimate to me at the Donny Show back in February that they were looking to do to other coach ranges what they did with the MK1 range; that is, expand the coach range with additional diagrams but keeping within the existing 'style'. You could therefore have additional LNER Gresley's (a BTK and TTO are big omissions), LMS Staniers (a CK, BCK and TO big omissions), SR Maunsell (Diner) or GWR Collets (BCK a big miss, and a diner and BG would be very nice indeed).

Let's see...

I'd rather they made coaches more akin to the M1's than the Staniers and Gresleys. My sets of each are slowly degrading with random bent or broken foot boards and missing 'door handles'. Mold the fine detail on and they will last longer as 'layout vehicles' and if it helps keep cost down thats all the better. 

Given people believe, despite evidence to the contrary, that Hornby and Oxford have merged, a quick and easy win would be a second run of Intercity liveried DVTs.

For those of you who hold their noses at the thought of something that isn't a tea urn on wheels, Hornby are releasing a modern electrickery aberration called a Class 87 this year in Intercity livery, Oxford have announced a range of locomotive hauled Mk3 coaches (big steel built carriages from the 1970s when you were all no doubt still getting psychiatric care over the loss of your blessed kettles) again in Intercity livery, and Bachmann have shown engineering prototypes of another hateful electrickery contraption called a Class 90, and a range of Mk2f coaches (more 1970s steel built things from when you were rocking yourselves hugging your comfort blankets over the loss of steam) so there is likely to be an increased interest in the Intercity era, which of course will be met with a deafening roar of apathy in these parts. Given the extraordinarily stupid prices the few Intercity DVTs go for on thiefBay that turn up, I suspect there is a lot of latent demand out there for them. I know mine is secreted in a secure secret place mint and boxed. Should Ornby-Hoxford do a rerun of the IC DVT I'd probably acquire a couple more and I'm sure that they would sell.

Having said all that I would like to see some more LMS stock, an Open First, Composite and Open Third would be most welcome, the opens to create a dining triplet and the CK because they were everywhere.

• RMweb Premium

How do you lose the moulds for a whole train; has anybody checked down the back of the sofa?

Was it not during the whole move from Sanda Kan to new facilities episode. They may have got lost or damaged. Given the cost of tooling up a model that would have been a big write off. If it’s correct.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the tooling for the Clan is still in existence,from reports from the Warley Show.

• Like 1

What is noticeably missing from the range is "state of the art" GWR non-corridor stock. I'm not expecting any this year if I'm honest.

Can anyone explain to me the deal between Hornby and Dapol. I ask because shortly after Hornby did the teaks and Hawksworths, remarkably similar coaches appeared from Dapol in N gauge.  Did Dapol just copy them. 

If there is a deal or a swapping of research, then could Hornby access Dapol's data on their new O gauge autocoach and produce an OO version.

• Like 1

Triple dining car sets RTR? Never IMV.  A) Few people need a dining car let alone a 3-piece suite. B) If the average Joe runs 6 coach express trains, that triple diver is going to look silly. C) Expecting hundreds of customers to pay over £150.00 for a dining set is a big ask.

For Hornby to produce a corridor composite means making a 60' chassis as well. Okay, once they have got it, they could produce other 60 footers. But sticking with the current 57' chassis, the most obvious coaches to my mind are the 'excursion' open third and 'excursion' open brake third.  Their appearance s sufficiently different to make them attractive. Look at photos of any excursion train and you will spot the open coaches. They were of higher capacity, were ideal with tables and gave excursionists an equal view of the outside world on both sides. I am not doing myself out of business because my regulars already have them! 

Edited by coachmann

Paul Isles did intimate to me at the Donny Show back in February that they were looking to do to other coach ranges what they did with the MK1 range; that is, expand the coach range with additional diagrams but keeping within the existing 'style'. You could therefore have additional LNER Gresley's (a BTK and TTO are big omissions), LMS Staniers (a CK, BCK and TO big omissions), SR Maunsell (Diner) or GWR Collets (BCK a big miss, and a diner and BG would be very nice indeed).

Let's see...

Nice idea, but that would mean perpetuating the inaccurate and non-existent turnunder on the Gresley carriages and potentially the very poor teak finish as applied to recent releases of the Thompson non-vestibuled (non-gangwayed) stock. Maybe willing to accept the former for the sake of consistency but the latter was a recent mistake that should never have passed QC. The principal absences are of the subsequent 'end door' stock, i.e. those without doors to every compartment.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Triple dining car sets RTR? Never IMV.  A) Few people need a dining car let alone a 3-piece suite. B) If the average Joe runs 6 coach express trains, that triple diver is going to look silly. C) Expecting hundreds of customers to pay over £150.00 for a dining set is a big ask.

While I agree that this is unlikely to be produced on; point B, did the GNR not run a Kings X - Leeds mornings up and evenings down express comprising 5 coaches of which the centre 3 were a triplet diner?

• RMweb Gold

What is noticeably missing from the range is "state of the art" GWR non-corridor stock. I'm not expecting any this year if I'm honest.

Can anyone explain to me the deal between Hornby and Dapol. I ask because shortly after Hornby did the teaks and Hawksworths, remarkably similar coaches appeared from Dapol in N gauge.  Did Dapol just copy them. 

If there is a deal or a swapping of research, then could Hornby access Dapol's data on their new O gauge autocoach and produce an OO version.

The 'N' gauge Hawksworths are from Bachmann/Farish, not Dapol...

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice to see a couple of the experimental BR liveries produced. They’ve already done A4 Merlin in the BR Purple livery, maybe a King and Bulleid could be added, just as long as it’s not that awful Apple Green Castle and Jubilee!

• Like 1

Talking of liveries, an interesting development is Hornby's announcement of LMS corridor and non-corridor coaches in 'crimson lake'.  I am assuming this is a reference to the new shade that was recently applied to the LMS Duchesses. As a follow-on, I hope they refer to the BR 1949-56 red as 'carmine red' or 'carmine red and cream' when those particular liveries are applied.   

Edited by coachmann

Hornby seem to concentrate on groups of models. The GE section has B12, D16, J15, B17 plus B1, K1, L1, O1. They have started on the NE section with the Q6, plus the LNER standard types. About time therefore they followed up with a J27 or B16/1 or G5. What I would really like however is a GC A5, although Bachmann seem to have adopted the GC.

Roger

The G5 has serious potential. Ideal branchline loco, new-build project , and crucially a number served in E Anglia as well as the North East. Hence it can sell to those modelling the (original) ER as well as the NEReg - there are few NER locos of which that can be said

(Though if anyone does an A5 I'll definitely buy it)

The G5 has serious potential. Ideal branchline loco, new-build project , and crucially a number served in E Anglia as well as the North East. Hence it can sell to those modelling the (original) ER as well as the NEReg - there are few NER locos of which that can be said

(Though if anyone does an A5 I'll definitely buy it)

As are the J21,J27 and Aerolite and other NER Locos still in existence . One problem is the Q6 doesn't appear to have sold that well, as lots still for sale. Hornby might look elsewhere.

Shame that don't do a V2, Bachmann's new version, looks like its years away still !!. 

Edited by micklner