Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Premium

The Q Class at the Bluebell featured very prominently in the publicity junkett that they did moving the H Class to Warley.  They must at least have measured it....

The Q is like a Midland 4F with all the character removed. It's so dull that the Southern got tired of building it after only 20 examples. If Hornby must do another Southern group 0-6-0, the Brighton C2X would be a more interesting choice, was more numerous and lasted nearly as late in service.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As are the J21,J27 and Aerolite and other NER Locos still in existence . One problem is the Q6 doesn't appear to have sold that well, as lots still for sale. Hornby might look elsewhere.

Shame that don't do a V2, Bachmann's new version, looks like its years away still !!.

If looking elsewhere on an NE theme how about a B16 ?

• Like 1

Having got the non-corridor coaches correct (tumblehome), it is doubtful Hornby would repeat the mistake on future Gresley coaches. In fact, wasn't the full brake correct in this respect or had only the lower beading been corrected...?

The horizontal beading lines on the Full Brake are consistent with the earlier models but there is fractionally more (gnat's parts of a millimetre) turnunder as the lower edge of the body is marginally closer to the solebar but otherwise difficult to tell the types apart.

In a clipper built coach, which these were, the tumblehome is the narrowing above the waist to the cantrail whereas the turnunder is the tuck in below the waist.

• RMweb Premium

The Q is like a Midland 4F with all the character removed. It's so dull that the Southern got tired of building it after only 20 examples. If Hornby must do another Southern group 0-6-0, the Brighton C2X would be a more interesting choice, was more numerous and lasted nearly as late in service.

Ah but a C2X never got to 72A but a Q did and I am selfish basta#d that wants a Q.

Hornby seem to concentrate on groups of models. The GE section has B12, D16, J15, B17 plus B1, K1, L1, O1. They have started on the NE section with the Q6, plus the LNER standard types. About time therefore they followed up with a J27 or B16/1 or G5. What I would really like however is a GC A5, although Bachmann seem to have adopted the GC.

Roger

But the B1, K1, L1 and O1 issues over the last few years have all been NE allocations. B17 'Footballers' were also allocated to the GC.

Talking of liveries, an interesting development is Hornby's announcement of LMS corridor and non-corridor coaches in 'crimson lake'.  I am assuming this is a reference to the new shade that was recently applied to the LMS Duchesses. As a follow-on, I hope they refer to the BR 1949-56 red as 'carmine red' or 'carmine red and cream' when those particular liveries are applied.   

Not that old chestnut again Larry :nono:  The BR colours came from BS381 and the 'red' was correctly named Crimson in the British Standard but referred to as Crimson Lake by BR.

Apologies for the scruffy extract from this BR painting & lining diagram...

post-1278-0-76903100-1513198379.jpg

Edited by Pint of Adnams

It was reported on this forum from a conversation with Hornby..This has nothing whatsoever to do with Bachmann.

I was being funny, because the rumour was the moulds went missing during the transition from Sanda Kan to Hornbys new factory

Edit to correct spelling

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

As built they were poor performers too, it was only when Bulleid introduced mods like wide diameter chimneys that they started steaming as intended. The survivor on the Bluebell in fact sports a chimney off a BR standard 4 (which looks better than Buleid's wide diameter but doesn't affect performance).

I also believe that Bulleid cancelled an irder for another 20 locos when he arrived - and was reported to have said he would have cancelled the original order if it wasn't for he fact that construction was underway when he took up the CMEs position.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

GE 50ft corridors please, someone, anyone! I don't care who makes them!

I'm not sure I understand what you hope to see. Not being familiar with GER coaches, I Googled GE 50 ft corridor coaches, and a specific design style doesn't come up - not in the way that Gresley or Thompson coaching stock has. Do you have a particular GE coach style in mind? I'm which case, I'd be interested to see links to an appropriate website, so we know what kind of coach you would like to see. Many thanks in anticipation,

John S

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="County of Yorkshire" LMS Staniers (a CK, BCK and TO big omissions), SR Maunsell (Diner) or GWR Collets (BCK a big miss, and a diner and BG would be very nice indeed).

Let's see...

Just bought a Comet Stanier 'TO'. Now you have said that Hornbys bound to produce one.

What is noticeably missing from the range is "state of the art" GWR non-corridor stock. I'm not expecting any this year if I'm honest.

Can anyone explain to me the deal between Hornby and Dapol. I ask because shortly after Hornby did the teaks and Hawksworths, remarkably similar coaches appeared from Dapol in N gauge.  Did Dapol just copy them. 

If there is a deal or a swapping of research, then could Hornby access Dapol's data on their new O gauge autocoach and produce an OO version.

Dapol sold a bunch of the tooling they had inherited from the former Mainline/Airfix range on to Hornby in the late 90's, plus a few of their own development. That's about the extent of any deal.

The Hawksworths are actually from Farish/Bachmann... You're thinking of the Collets which were downscaled versions of the tooling that now resides at Bachmann that had been developed for Mainline/Palitoy.

What Dapol seemed to do was target models in N that Hornby produced in 00 knowing that Hornby were unlikely to produce N versions themselves. Targeting Bachmann's 00 range for downscaling is understandably a bit riskier.

Lord Nelson, 46257, Princess - Hornby.

58100, Class 91 & Mk 4s, 47901, 60539 Bronzino (double chimney, standard boiler) - Bachmann.

(Predictions!)

At the given times the Class 91 with it's accompanying Mk.4 DVT and coaches are more likely to come from Hornby rather than Bachmann. Anyway earlier in 2017 it was said that Hornby were planning on doing the Class 91 but chose the Class 87 as the cost of tooling would be significantly cheaper.

Bachmann on the other hand still have catch up work to do. And whilst we've seen only some EP samples there's no way of a guarantee that things are progressing, delays can happen at any stage. Some models are still in their CAD stage also.

Just got an email from Hattons saying the Hornby 2018 will be announced Monday 8th January 2018.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/hornby2018

Not sure why Hornby have opted to do this now rather than at Warley as normal but I think it's something to do with Mr Kohler's return.

Edit: link

They've never announced their annual range at Warley in recent times, it's always been a few new toolings.

They've probably opted for that day as it's the day after Bachmann's announcements. IIRC in 2016 or 2017 Hornby announced just a single model shortly before or after Bachmann announced their range for that year and posts of RMweb were still in Hornby's favour. So a simple marketing strategy?? Steal some thunder if you will....it's worked for them in the past.

• RMweb Gold

According to popular mythology.

So do they still have the means to produce a Clan do you know Ian? because when I inquired about a year a ago the reply was that they had no plans in the near future, not that they were unable. I too have heard about the "lost tooling" but no-ones actually substantiated it as fact.Would love to get another one!!

Rgds...Mike

• RMweb Gold
So do they still have the means to produce a Clan do you know Ian? because when I inquired about a year a ago the reply was that they had no plans in the near future, not that they were unable. I too have heard about the "lost tooling" but no-ones actually substantiated it as fact.Would love to get another one!!

ATM there is no means of substantiating this.Hornby is tightening its belt and future plans are very much "up in the air".A clearer picture might be revealed after January's postponed announcements.....or might not.Investment in new / rerun models subject to strict commercial viability. We were told at Warley that there are amazing projects under wraps .All one or two forum members were told is that the tooling for the Clan still exists.For now that is all we know.