Bridge bashing

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Surely the cost of bridge repairs (and associated loss of income from the line closures) should be paid by the lorry's insurance?

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Surely the cost of bridge repairs (and associated loss of income from the line closures) should be paid by the lorry's insurance?

In theory yes...

... but unlike Network Rail, small volunteer departments don't have a large legal department geared up to chasing such things which has implications for how fast any claim can be settled.

Moreover if you get too many bashes then it has implications for insurance premiums, etc..

Although in this case the bridge escaped with only minor damage, had it been worse and the Spa Valley not been able to run the rest of their Santa specials it would have bought significant financial problems for the railway given how important such things are these days to revenue generation on Heritage railways.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/live-huntingdon-brampton-road-traffic-17442090

My daughter told me about this one today. The car transporter is on the road bridge over the railway by Huntingdon station. (For those of a certain age, the old A604 when it went through the town). The bridge that it bashed is the "old" A14, closed in early December and due for early demolition.

Stewart

• Informative/Useful 2

Sad news. On reflection I have changed my opinion expressed earlier in this topic and agree that the bridge signage, both on the approach to and at the structure itself, must be seriously and critically examined.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

On 21/12/2019 at 20:56, stewartingram said:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/live-huntingdon-brampton-road-traffic-17442090

My daughter told me about this one today. The car transporter is on the road bridge over the railway by Huntingdon station. (For those of a certain age, the old A604 when it went through the town). The bridge that it bashed is the "old" A14, closed in early December and due for early demolition.

Stewart

Yup - however you should note that the headroom has been reduced by large quantities of metal reinforcement designed to stop the A14 viaduct from collapsing!

When the A14 viaduct was built back in the 1970s there would have been the same minimum clearance provided as on the rest of the motorway network

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Sad news. On reflection I have changed my opinion expressed earlier in this topic and agree that the bridge signage, both on the approach to and at the structure itself, must be seriously and critically examined.

Sad news indeed.

Of course deficient signage doesn't mean the driver of the bus gets off scot free - but as the RAIB are very good at pointing out in their reports (reinforced by the courts actions with respect to the 1989 Purley crash), the actions (or in-actions) of others is just as important as those of the individual whose direct actions 'caused' the event to happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was along the Sixteen Foot Bank at Stonea earlier today, where the 7' bridge was bashed a little while back, and is under long term repair. Because the underpass is closed, all traffic is using the adjacent LC which still has a keeper opening & closing the old style gates. Interestingly, there are now temporary traffic lights in use - showing green in both directions when the gates are open - and operated by the keeper when he is about to close the gates. Also, they are not at the gates themselves, but either end of the approach ramps, where the underpass road diverts off. Presumably there to assist the keeper in operating the gates.  

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The Signalmen at Stonea (for it is a blockpost still) are actually suffering a lot from abuse from motorists and the traffic lights were an attempt to try and make life easier for them. Sadly there are still selfish drivers who ignore the lights and still mouth off to the bobby.

The railway is very interested in this abuse and where the reg numbers can be recorded by the bobby are passing the info onto BTP for a nice cosy visit....

Andy G

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

When I came back along there yesterday, the lights went red and I stopped at them (at the bottom of the ramp.  2 trains passed ( 1 was an Azuma), and he came out to open the gates; the car behind me then pulled out and passed me even though the lights were still red. Against the law to pass a red light in my book!

Stewart

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Once I was surprised if a cyclist stopped at a red light but something's changed in the last couple of years and now the majority of the ones I see do stop.

Probably the ones who didn't aren't with us any more..?? :no:

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, duncan said:

Is it a requirement to stop at red temporary lights, read somewhere (can't find it now of course, so could be talking rubbish) ?  Thought it was only permanent ones or possibly temps which an order or something. 

Highway Code Rule 109 - "You MUST obey all traffic light signals  and traffic signs giving orders, including temporary signals & signs."

The use of MUST means it's a legal obligation (good practice but not specifically legally required in the Highway Code will have a word like "should.")

11 minutes ago, duncan said:

Is it a requirement to stop at red temporary lights, read somewhere (can't find it now of course, so could be talking rubbish) ?  Thought it was only permanent ones or possibly temps which an order or something. 

Highway code rule 109 (italics mine)

Traffic light signals and traffic signs. You MUST obey all traffic light signals (download ‘Light signals controlling traffic’) and traffic signs giving orders, including temporary signals & signs (download ‘Traffic signs’).

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, duncan said:

Soon after I joined the local Police (as a civil servant radio tech), my mate, who joined the same day, was on his way home from work and came across a set of temporary lights, which changed to red as he approached. He carried on. Next morning the Sergeant from the Police Vehicle Examiners Office (next door to us) came in for a word with him. He was in the following car (and he stopped). Guess who found out it was mandatory  to stop at a red light?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Reorte said:

Once I was surprised if a cyclist stopped at a red light but something's changed in the last couple of years and now the majority of the ones I see do stop.

You obviously don't see Deliveroo, Uber eats etc. riders where I assume it is mandatory to ignore all traffic rules

Pavement riding, wrong way up one way streets, using prohibited traffic areas all mandatory for fast food deliverers.:jester:

Once I even saw one in a shopping arcade.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

You obviously don't see Deliveroo, Uber eats etc. riders where I assume it is mandatory to ignore all traffic rules

Pavement riding, wrong way up one way streets, using prohibited traffic areas all mandatory for fast food deliverers.:jester:

Once I even saw one in a shopping arcade.

Same round here too - I very rarely use the subway underneath Reading station these days because of the number of bikes that use it (despite the large 'No cycling' signs at each end - apparently some of them think a bicycle in a red circle means 'cycleway'). I was outside for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon ballasting 'Wallingford Mk 2' and lost count of the number of cyclists going the wrong way up my road.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Soon after I joined the local Police (as a civil servant radio tech), my mate, who joined the same day, was on his way home from work and came across a set of temporary lights, which changed to red as he approached. He carried on. Next morning the Sergeant from the Police Vehicle Examiners Office (next door to us) came in for a word with him. He was in the following car (and he stopped). Guess who found out it was mandatory not to stop at a red light?

Stewart

Surely that should be mandatory TO stop at a red light?

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I lived in Kosovo for six years. I came to the conclusion that the local version of the Highway Code must say that cyclists should behave like pedestrians and face oncoming traffic. Also horses and carts were obviously exempt from one way streets  etc, and it was normal to park on the pavement and walk on the road. Mind you that was in the early days after the war when there were few pavements anyway that hadn't been destroyed so the road was safer.

And in the UK I haven't yet seen a waiter riding a bike while carrying a tray of coffees to deliver to a nearby customer.

Jonathan

PS I hope that the diversion of the thread means that there have been no bridge bashes lately - or is it just that we are going the wrong way down a one way street?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2019 at 09:34, melmerby said:

OK picture of stationary cop car. Is that all?

It’s a local news website so once you have got past the cookie permission and spammy ad pop up windows you are likely to find a stock photo and little elaboration on the story beyond the headline that brought you there.

It’s called local journalism or, in older parlance, crap.

Darius

• Like 6
  • Agree 3