Bridge bashing

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

And by a waiting ambulance? Does this happen so often they keep an ambulance there waiting for it to happen?

But usually the emergency entrance is well away from the normal public entrance , so transport by ambulance would be typical. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"it seems unlikely that a normal service bus would be routed past the entrance to A&E."

The bus stop at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, the terminus for service 11, is just outside the entrance to A&E - and a long walk from other departments, especially in the rain.

Jonathan

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Keith J said:

There's been another one today near Bury St Edmunds. Just after Greater Anglia managed to get trains running between Ipswich and Peterborough they are now suspended again because of this.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/lorry-stuck-under-railway-bridge-1-6459673

A serious one as well, its moved the bridge deck.....

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 1

On 09/01/2020 at 12:08, Wickham Green said:

Seems a little unnecessary for eight casualties to need taking away from the scene by a waiting ambulance .......... how far did they have to be taken ?

About 6 miles as the Western General is a non A&E hospital (Edinburgh Royal Infirmary is the A&E hospital in Edinburgh). 

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Keith J said:

There's been another one today near Bury St Edmunds. Just after Greater Anglia managed to get trains running between Ipswich and Peterborough they are now suspended again because of this.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/lorry-stuck-under-railway-bridge-1-6459673

2 hours ago, uax6 said:

A serious one as well, its moved the bridge deck.....

Andy G

I'm not surprised. To mash up a container box like that he was taking it at a fair lick.

Oh & note the 'squashed' suspension on the unit. No good letting the tyres down to try & release that one. :rolleyes:

I do have to say that the comments of the Network Rail chap in the linked article re the driver sum up the issue very well - & also give the lie to the common misconception amongst the general public that truck drivers can go around just doing this sort of thing with impunity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 09/01/2020 at 19:23, RJS1977 said:

AU53 HKM in both photos

So it is, I stand corrected.  (Although in my defence I would say that the photo you posted of the most recent incident is not the same photo as the one in the BBC article, which in any case appears to have the number plate obscured by the caption.  As I said in my previous post, I couldn't at the time find another one online which did show the plate clearly.  The one you posted seems to have been taken from the "Everything Felixstowe and Beyond" Facebook page.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I'm not surprised. To mash up a container box like that he was taking it at a fair lick.

Oh & note the 'squashed' suspension on the unit. No good letting the tyres down to try & release that one. :rolleyes:

I do have to say that the comments of the Network Rail chap in the linked article re the driver sum up the issue very well - & also give the lie to the common misconception amongst the general public that truck drivers can go around just doing this sort of thing with impunity.

The NR chap is a chappess.

The driver was issued with an on the spot fine of £500 by the coppers who attended (a new thing since jan 1st so we are told).

The load, which was a container full of sterile gloves is apparently now considered not to be sterile any more...

As for the bridge, although it has been dislodged, we are running trains over it, and it seems the plan is to jack it back into place overnight. I'm sure that will be a nice little hit to the insurance of the lorry firm.

At least no-one was injured.

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, uax6 said:

The NR chap is a chappess.

Indeed. My mistake - I read 'spokesman for Great Anglia' earlier in the article & didn't properly clock either the name of the NR route director or that that was a different person entirely!! D'oh!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

The load, which was a container full of sterile gloves is apparently now considered not to be sterile any more...

I was under the impression that sterile things are sealed in airtight packs to keep them sterile. Surely they cannot all have been opened in the crash?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it’s the way of the world that the whole load will probably get dumped, madness, but there you go... it’s a shame as l’d have some for doing oily jobs....

Andy g

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Budgie said:

I was under the impression that sterile things are sealed in airtight packs to keep them sterile. Surely they cannot all have been opened in the crash?

Maybe they are still sterile, but it would cost a great deal   to check; they'll probably go into a trade auction  for use by car-body sprayers, plumbers, and whoever else might use them.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, uax6 said:

The driver was issued with an on the spot fine of £500 by the coppers who attended (a new thing since jan 1st so we are told).

Andy G

And his P45 by his employers no doubt.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Sheffield said:

It is a pity that passengers can not claim from the lorry insurance for all the problems they will suffer. Some really big bills might at last make lorry drivers and owners a bit more careful.

Or as its the insurance company which would have to pay they would simply increase their premiums to the transport companies meaning transportation costs go up meaning everything you buy in the shops will be more expensive, good idea!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, Sheffield said:

It is a pity that passengers can not claim from the lorry insurance for all the problems they will suffer. Some really big bills might at last make lorry drivers and owners a bit more careful.

Can't passengers claim off the railway? The railway claims off the haulage company. As do Network Rail. Yes, they are BIG claims!!

Another idea is to pay a really decent wage to truck & bus drivers, to make the job something more people might actually WANT to do, & care about more. Then there wouldn't be a severe shortage of drivers, either. It does seem ridiculous that bus & coach drivers in particular, with maybe 70 people's lives in their care, are likely to be on the minimum wage.

But higher wages would mean higher costs, so the price of journeys (bus) or goods (truck) would go up, & the Ungrateful Public would just moan as usual.....

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I only drive a little puddle jumper of a 7.5 tonner, but it is still 12'2" high.

I had to do a delivery & pick up in an area which I was not too familiar with, but I knew that there was at least one low bridge in the area, although it is at least 18 months since I have done this drop, and last time was in a transit van, so no issues about height.

The company does have a Sat Nav, but only a bog standard car variety, and we are expected to use it in the Lorry.

I have lost counht of the times I have been sent down unsuitable roads, and directed through areas with a 6'6" width restriction.

The H & S chap was in the office as I was getting my instructions this morning.

I expressed doubts about access to the site that I was delivering to, and said that the company really should invest in an HGV SatNav.

£400, way too expensive. was the response.

I did mention that it was still a lot cheaper than a £10, 0000 + bill from Network Rail if I did c*ck it up.

We shall have to wait & see if anything happens.

As it is, I needn't have worried, the bridge that I was concerned about was 13', so a  good 10" headroom over my vehicle, but I did take it dead slow, just in case.

Regards from a just over minimum wage lorry driver.

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 10

2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

And if the costs of goods went up, the truck and bus drivers would find their cost of living going up and would want another pay increase.....

Never stopped anyone else wanting a pay rise - and there's far more people than just drivers involved in 'the cost of goods'. :fool:

• Agree 2