Bridge bashing

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

What I meant was that perhaps the trailer being light was riding a few centimetres higher and that made the difference between hitting the bridge or passing bellow it.

Air suspension on most lorries means a constant ride height regardless of weight in theory.

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, roythebus said:

Air suspension on most lorries means a constant ride height regardless of weight in theory.

Nah. In practice an unloaded air-sprung trailer rides a bit higher.

I could tell you a sorry tale involving and air-sprung trailer, a 40' High-Cube container and a gated entrance to an old mill with a lovely brick arch over it......

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, petethemole said:

I'm not sure, but the lorry in the picture in the Daily Echo story linked earlier, might have been the culprit.

If the lorry is overheight i.e. an unusual load then it needs route clearance, so that sort of thing doesn't happen.

Somebody ballsed up.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

If the lorry is overheight i.e. an unusual load then it needs route clearance, so that sort of thing doesn't happen.

Somebody ballsed up.

I agree, perhaps as it is on private property and not on the public highway it was missed. But then again oversize loads would have been taken in and out of the docks many times over the years so they should have been aware of it.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I agree, perhaps as it is on private property and not on the public highway it was missed. But then again oversize loads would have been taken in and out of the docks many times over the years so they should have been aware of it.

I would like to see how many bridges n the public highway are as tall as that and with the height marked.

IIRC it's over the minimum height for motorway bridges, which aren't marked.

Just found it.

Bridges over 5m (16' 6") need not be marked.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There are other gates to Western Docks that have no overhead obstruction, so someone did indeed **** it up.

The incident was in November 2018, and the DE report at the time indicates that it was the lorry in the picture: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17228069.southamptons-dock-gate-10-to-remain-shut-after-crash/

Edited by petethemole
added information
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, petethemole said:

There are other gates to Western Docks that have no overhead obstruction, so someone did indeed **** it up.

The incident was in November 2018, and the DE report at the time indicates that it was the lorry in the picture: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17228069.southamptons-dock-gate-10-to-remain-shut-after-crash/

I wonder if they did something daft like only measuring the front 'tube' on the load, instead of the rear part which is rather taller !!! :fool: :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

What a total imbecile.

Hard to tell from the video but don't they have rollers on the back so they can be deployed and recovered without making a mess? So it shouldn't be as bad as just dragging a metal trailer along the ground, but more use (and speed) than the rollers are intended for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1