Bridge bashing

Wonder if he will also be done for no front number plate ?

Maybe no rear lights either  :bomb_mini:

https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/5-point-q-a-to-help-you-with-licence-plate-rules-for-agricultural-machinery

edit 5/3/20, I thought the numberplate rules were more definite, seems similar to the distinction between a building contractor / farmer regarding tractors !

Edited by duncan
more information
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, duncan said:

Wonder if he will also be done for no front number plate ?

Maybe no rear lights either  :bomb_mini:

AFAIK tractors dont carry front number plates.

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Almost? Looks like it is, and there appears to be some damage to the brickwork to the left of the lorry (its right). Best to report that, especially if the bridge is still in use.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Almost? Looks like it is, and there appears to be some damage to the brickwork to the left of the lorry (its right). Best to report that, especially if the bridge is still in use.

Could also be from a previous strike. If this one did the damage i would expect there to be some rubble on the ground.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, happyflyer said:

Almost a bridge bash

Taken from my drive this morning

He kept getting out of his cab to take pictures of the bridge!!!

He did in the end reverse the 200yds back to the main road

IMAG1323.jpg

Foreigner.

Probably thought it was 12m 9cm high!:jester:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I notice the road seems to slope. Is it possible that there was room for him to enter the bridge but he fouled it at the "upper" side? But an interesting point about imperial/metric heights. What do foreign lorries have to have in the cab? No excuse though.

Jonathan

• Like 2

It could also be the case that the road has been resurfaced and they have not changed the sign, especially since it is only in imperial.  If the road was 2 inches lower he might just have made it...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Titan said:

It could also be the case that the road has been resurfaced and they have not changed the sign, especially since it is only in imperial.  If the road was 2 inches lower he might just have made it...

By the looks of the road surface it hasn't been resurfaced at any time recently.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

By the looks of the road surface it hasn't been resurfaced at any time recently.

Does not have to have been done recently, if the sign is 30 years old it could have been resurfaced 28 years ago!

• Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 21:07, dunwurken said:

Foreign number plates and bridge height in feet and inches.  Do foreign drivers only have the height of their vehicle given in metric only?

dont know about foreigners but mine is only given in feet and inches nice little indicator panel on the inside of the passenger door tells me my truck is 11'7" high which is a bit of a puzzle as a regularly pass under a bridge on the Huddersfield - Barnsley line that is plated at 11'6" go figure !

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, peanuts said:

dont know about foreigners but mine is only given in feet and inches nice little indicator panel on the inside of the passenger door tells me my truck is 11'7" high which is a bit of a puzzle as a regularly pass under a bridge on the Huddersfield - Barnsley line that is plated at 11'6" go figure !

Who do we inform about this?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, peanuts said:

suspect notwork fail or highways 

its this one btw https://goo.gl/maps/GdkUuvxehsXW3H8y5

That explains it. The height given is that at the two verticle white bars at the end of the horizontal bar not that at the centre of the arch. I noticed the road markings also telling drivers of high vehicles to keep to the centre of the road.

2 hours ago, peanuts said:

that sign aint 30 years old looks almost new 

Can't be almost new, the latest standard is to have metric, and has been for some years now. So even if it looks new, it isn't. So whilst it may not be 30 years old or more, it could still be older than the road surface.

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 19:26, happyflyer said:

Almost a bridge bash

Taken from my drive this morning

He kept getting out of his cab to take pictures of the bridge!!!

He did in the end reverse the 200yds back to the main road

IMAG1323.jpg

On 02/04/2020 at 22:45, melmerby said:

Foreigner.

Probably thought it was 12m 9cm high!:jester:

The bridge sign does not comply with the law, it MUST be marked in imperial and metric.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, roythebus said:

The bridge sign does not comply with the law, it MUST be marked in imperial and metric.

Not disputing that, but how does that tie in with the fact that speed limits throughout the UK are shown in mph only ? Does any vehicle used on UK roads have to have a speedometer showing mph as well as kph, and in that case should high vehicles not also have an internal sign showing height in both metric and imperial dimensions ?

• Agree 1

What the heck?? A sign's a sign, & I used to carry a handy & easily available conversion chart showing all heights from about 11ft to 16'6" in imperial and metric. Of course that didn't help me when I thought my trailer was one height, but it turned out to be another, because I hadn't checked properly...

Whether a foreign driver might have one is another matter, but that comes back to experience - a well-prepared driver would be just that - well prepared for driving in a foreign country & on the wrong side of the road, so he SHOULD have a conversion chart with him.

But as I've said before, due to low wages & awful hours & conditions, truck driving has not been a career people have flocked to in droves. There has been a severe driver shortage for some years now, meaning a lot of less experienced drivers now on the road. There was a recent news item about HGV bridge strikes, which missed this point entirely.

The question I would ask; why had he turned off the main road anyway, which if I understand from the OP wasn't far away? He's on some grotty little single-track country lane - not the most obvious of routes to an Industrial Estate, Cold Store or RDC; he's not delivering to the village shop with that rig!

Re speed signs in MPH, UK trucks have run in KM for years now, as part of the EU. UK RHD truck speedo's will have KM & MPH on the dial, I'm not sure about LHD EU models, but again, an experienced driver will have a conversion chart or at least be familiar with the 'common' limits and equivalents - 50kph is 30mph. 56mph is 90kph, which is where the stupid 56mph motorway limit for trucks came from, rather than the 60mph it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2