Bridge bashing

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

Which reminds me of a Youtube I first saw about 15 years ago, of a ship striking a lifting bridge on the Welland Canal on the St. Lawrence Seaway (?) Either the ship had a mechanical problem, or the bridge keeper was asleep. At any rate, when the ship hit the bridge, it was only partially raised, and the upper part of the accommodation was torn off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Thanks JP. I know plenty of roads where a tree cutting vehicle would find lots of work.

Where I lived as a child in Surrey, we saw the tree cutting vehicle (a cut down RT) out a lot. I'm not sure whether it was based at our local LT garage (Leatherhead) or at Reigate.

Nowadays the bus companies rely more on HGVs clearing the road for them and putting metal bars on the front of their deckers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Where I lived as a child in Surrey, we saw the tree cutting vehicle (a cut down RT) out a lot. I'm not sure whether it was based at our local LT garage (Leatherhead) or at Reigate.

Nowadays the bus companies rely more on HGVs clearing the road for them and putting metal bars on the front of their deckers.

LT never used a cut down RT. What you probably saw was one of the cut down front entrance country area STL's that they used up until about 1960.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

LT never used a cut down RT. What you probably saw was one of the cut down front entrance country area STL's that they used up until about 1960.

It's a long time ago! And I am not sure that I would have recognised the difference back then (although I should have noticed a front entrance).

It would have been sometime after 1960. We only moved to Gt Bookham in Sept 1960.

• RMweb Premium

There's one hell of a difference in the height of that bridge, probably 3 foot more on the down hill side, I was following a skip lorry up there at about 50 yards, just as well because the load sticking out of the skip was stripped off the top and distributed across the road, fortunately I was able to get into the offside lane and only ran over polystyrene and cardboard,  the driver didn't stop to see what happened. In those days we didn't have  CCTV.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2020 at 18:33, sir douglas said:

Haven't done much in the following 4 years:

https://goo.gl/maps/yM7jZjLgyMuoEWad6

https://goo.gl/maps/gCHpExiWcdvoAtbL8

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

I notice that DB is to pay the bulk of the cost with a €30 million contribution.

What about the shipping company, are they not liable?

I'm surprised they are not upgrading it to double track.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 3

On 30/04/2020 at 12:23, Ohmisterporter said:

Have there been any cases of a double decker with the top deck destroyed and being rebuilt as a single decker?

Yes - this routemaster for example:

RM1368.jpg.09137cf725ec98bfb0412a316c3ae23d.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

LUT had a cut down Fleetline.  I went right through the low bridge at Wargrave. Quite amazing really as the bridge was only just wide enough for a bus and had to be approached at an angle, yet the driver didn’t scratch the sides.  Later in life it worked the bus service round Summerseat.

• Like 2

On 30/04/2020 at 12:23, Ohmisterporter said:

Have there been any cases of a double decker with the top deck destroyed and being rebuilt as a single decker?

Yes, Strathclyde had a single Ailsa MGE185P rebuilt after a bridge strike into a single decker. It looked awful. When it was converted some paperwork was not done, which was only found out when Black Prince bought it so it was used for spares.

Edited by 37114
Typo
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...