Bridge bashing

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Keith J said:

I like these statements like 'the van was able to remove itself'.

i have this picture in my mind of the driver stood by the side

of the road with their arms folded, watching while the van

drives out from the bridge on its own.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

It is a pretty high trailer. Surely the driver would have known it was too high for many bridges? The bridge is not particularly low. And it wasn't a matter of an inch or two.

Jonathan

He probably just forgot he had one of these extra high trailers.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

As reported already higher up this page..!!

5 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

He probably just forgot he had one of these extra high trailers.

That's the problem - no vocational driver should "just forget" the height of his vehicle, and why in-cab signs are there too.

As I've said before, due to the shortage of HGV drivers, there are now some very inexperienced drivers out there. This sort of thing is evidence of it.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Actually, looks like someone's added a metre to the top of it while he wasn't looking - you can see the join !

Shhh, if the driver's reading this, he'll have an excuse to tell the judge!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

This one seems to have slipped through the net:

The Cov - Nuneaton branch is currently blocked due to a lorry carrying an excavator has become wedged underneath a bridge and it looks like it's got to be cut out as it's proper wedged in the bridge metalwork. The bridge in question is the one just after Coundon Road level crossing where the line speed is 20mph and before the viaduct. As it's a Code Red bridge this may go on for sometime.

On Big Jim's thread 22 hours ago, posted by CovDriver

Now OK. There is also a brief description a  few posts further down of the classification systems for bridge strikes

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

This one seems to have slipped through the net:

The Cov - Nuneaton branch is currently blocked due to a lorry carrying an excavator has become wedged underneath a bridge and it looks like it's got to be cut out as it's proper wedged in the bridge metalwork. The bridge in question is the one just after Coundon Road level crossing where the line speed is 20mph and before the viaduct. As it's a Code Red bridge this may go on for sometime.

On Big Jim's thread 22 hours ago, posted by CovDriver

Now OK. There is also a brief description a  few posts further down of the classification systems for bridge strikes

Jonathan

What's a Code Red bridge? It sounds important, but specifically in what way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

What's a Code Red bridge? It sounds important, but specifically in what way?

The line is blocked until the bridge has been examined and passed fit for traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Oops!

There was quite a spectacular one at a French Motorway services a few days back. The lorry driver forgot he was carrying 'Sprinter' type panel vans on the upper deck, and decided to pull up under the canopy. He very quickly discovered this was a Bad Idea, as at least two vans fell off, and the canopy ended up half-demolished. 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2020 at 12:19, F-UnitMad said:

As reported already higher up this page..!!

That's the problem - no vocational driver should "just forget" the height of his vehicle, and why in-cab signs are there too.

As I've said before, due to the shortage of HGV drivers, there are now some very inexperienced drivers out there. This sort of thing is evidence of it.

commonly known throughout the industry as stearing wheel attendants auto gearbox optocruise etc all they have to do is steer the damn thing 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, peanuts said:

commonly known throughout the industry as stearing wheel attendants auto gearbox optocruise etc all they have to do is steer the damn thing 

Bit like the Front End Seat Warmers* on trains ;)
*FESW is an acronym popular on a rail forum I frequent, often used by drivers

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, peanuts said:

Exactly. Almost all the skill - and 'thinking', or concentration required - has been taken out of the job. What gear am I in? What gear am I going to need next? No matter these days as the gearbox does it all. 

There was an article in one of the truck mags a few years back asking why there seemed to be an increase in HGV rollover incidents; tipping over sideways due to cornering too fast. The conclusion was that trucks were being made too comfortable, so drivers were losing a sense of 'load sympathy' and not taking the weight and stability into account.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1