Bridge bashing

On 07/06/2020 at 12:19, F-UnitMad said:

As reported already higher up this page..!!

That's the problem - no vocational driver should "just forget" the height of his vehicle, and why in-cab signs are there too.

As I've said before, due to the shortage of HGV drivers, there are now some very inexperienced drivers out there. This sort of thing is evidence of it.

there is NO  shortage of HGV drivers there is however a shortage of descent well paid HGV  driving jobs with descent employers meaning employee retention is poor .the "driver shortage " is largely a ploy of agency's to con drivers into signing onto they're books to cover non existant work .last time I was out of work and looking would see job after job advertised over and over always through one of three agency's on enquiry the job didn't exist but hey you can come into the office and sign up we can get you working quickly .

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, peanuts said:

there is NO  shortage of HGV drivers there is however a shortage of descent well paid HGV  driving jobs with descent employers meaning employee retention is poor

On paper, there might be enough qualified people with an HGV licence, but you've hit the nail on the head as to why there's a 'shortage' - because the job is cr@p, and people don't want to do it - so in real terms there's a shortage.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

On paper, there might be enough qualified people with an HGV licence, but you've hit the nail on the head as to why there's a 'shortage' - because the job is cr@p, and people don't want to do it - so in real terms there's a shortage.

there is NO  shortage of HGV drivers there is however a shortage of descent well paid HGV  driving jobs with descent employers meaning employee retention is poor

I had to surrender my HGV licence 2 years ago due an in correctly dianogozsed medical condition, SO I have to have a medical every 3 years to retain my car licence, If I had retianed my HGV licence that would  have ment that I would have to a medical ever year to retain my HGV licence and at over a (£100+) each time it was not worth the stress, but here's the rub each time companys check my licence on line it shows that there is a restriction due to a medical condition, so each time I go for  a driving job it ends up going no where. ................................. Thanks DVLA.

I am now into my 5th year of unemployment.

Terry  

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Exactly. Almost all the skill - and 'thinking', or concentration required - has been taken out of the job. What gear am I in? What gear am I going to need next? No matter these days as the gearbox does it all. 

There was an article in one of the truck mags a few years back asking why there seemed to be an increase in HGV rollover incidents; tipping over sideways due to cornering too fast. The conclusion was that trucks were being made too comfortable, so drivers were losing a sense of 'load sympathy' and not taking the weight and stability into account.

All of which, SHOULD mean that they have more time to look ahead, at EXACTLY where they are going. Yeah, I know it doesn't quite work like that.

Is bridge bashing getting more common, or is it just a case of more people carrying a camera at all times, thus able to record the aftermath?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/06/2020 at 10:26, corneliuslundie said:

This one seems to have slipped through the net:

The Cov - Nuneaton branch is currently blocked due to a lorry carrying an excavator has become wedged underneath a bridge and it looks like it's got to be cut out as it's proper wedged in the bridge metalwork. The bridge in question is the one just after Coundon Road level crossing where the line speed is 20mph and before the viaduct. As it's a Code Red bridge this may go on for sometime.

On Big Jim's thread 22 hours ago, posted by CovDriver

Now OK. There is also a brief description a  few posts further down of the classification systems for bridge strikes

Jonathan

Code red probably because it was jammed, and the condition of the girders is deteriorating. One side has holes you can see daylight through, the other has girders with small brick arch infills. It's probably on a deferred list for total replacement.

Screenshot_20200702-184354.png

FB_IMG_1593711872459.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Surely it is a work of modern art, not an accident!

But an expensive work of art if it involved sacrificing two new vans.

Jonathan

Sorry, the second part of the second sentence got swept off when I went under a bridge.

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Funny 1

30 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Just spotted this on National Rail Enquiries:

Structural damage to the bridge between Llangennech and Pontarddulais means it is unsafe for trains to pass over the bridge.

That is on the Heart of Wales line.

Jonathan

This is due to a problem with faulty bridge timbers on a bridge that carries the line over the river, so not really a bridge-bash (unless the sewin are bigger than they used to be..)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Would make a good stunt for a James Bond Film  -  though the ramp needs to be a little higher.

Or the villains are in the car, go flying up the ramp and collide with a train on the bridge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Or the villains are in the car, go flying up the ramp and collide with a train on the bridge.

But if it was Bond, James Bond, he would go flying up the ramp, over a passing train and conveniently land safely on the other side (perhaps by activating the fold out wings) and keep going.

Only the bad guys following, would hit the train!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But if it was Bond, James Bond, he would go flying up the ramp, over a passing train and conveniently land safely on the other side (perhaps by activating the fold out wings) and keep going.

Or a gap between shipping containers on such a train.

Dale

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

54 minutes ago, dale159 said:

Or a gap between shipping containers on such a train.

Dale

Don't forget the 360 degree rotation before Bonds car lands on its wheels.:jester:

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Don't forget the 360 degree rotation before Bonds car lands on its wheels.:jester:

Yup, it would go into the gap between the containers twisted on to one side and come out twisted on to the other side...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Yup, it would go into the gap between the containers twisted on to one side and come out twisted on to the other side...

Or Bonds Aston would punch a hole through an empty curtain-side container

Then the baddies following in the beemer punch a hole into a tank-tainer containing something particularly nasty

• Like 1
  • Agree 1