Bridge bashing

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The abutments have been heavily reinforced and capped with a stout girder either side of the line to protect the railway.  Given the prominent active signage, I don't know why it used to happen so often, nor why the incidence has dropped as the new signs seem a lot less conspicuous..

Maybe the SatNav companies have had too many complaints and have installed a "DON'T CHANCE IT !" notice so they can get some peace an' quiet ?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The A52 Barrowby Road is closed under the East Coast main line at Grantham until November - and then Springfield Road will be closed for a similar length of time in the new year. Vehicles are having to find alternative routes and already there have been two bridge strikes. See here

https://www.granthammatters.co.uk/guess-what/

https://www.granthammatters.co.uk/another-bridge-hit-in-grantham/

Looks like it will be an interesting winter at Grantham . . . . . . . .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Would that ship happen to be a destroyer?

ok ok I've got my coat.....

Stewart

No it's a frigit, or that's what the captain was heard to say anyway.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Any idea where that scalping happened Tim?

Jonathan

In the Canadian National in Memphis apparently. Not sure which Memphis, there is a CN Harrison Yard in Memphis TN

Edited by Talltim
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

After she was repaired, she hit the wall on the way out from the basin into the river,  so was brought back into the basin for another docking.

HMS Troutbridge in disguise ?

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, figworthy said:

HMS Troutbridge in disguise ?

Adrian

Funnily enough, I got the photo from the 'Navy Lark Fan Group' Facebook page!

Edit - and whilst AFAIK Troutbridge never made it quite as far as London Bridge, it did manage to come a cropper on Tower Bridge when Mr Phillips decided he didn't need to ask for it to be raised as they'd had plenty of room when they sailed through earlier in the day - at low tide!

Bus conductor: "What's my inspector going to say when I tell him my bus has been hit by a frigate?"

Phillips: "Probably the same as my Admiral will say when I tell him my frigate's been hit by a bus!"

Edited by RJS1977
  • Funny 10

12 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Now this was a proper bridge bash by a boat:

image.png.2428634e32da0e28c3e7a90b5a49b5db.png

Even though they had the insurance money they never repaired it.

Jonathan

It wasn't so much a bridge bash as a collision between two vessels which then got out of control as a result and in the confusion and the fog the bridge was also clobbered.  I've got most of the railway accident reports since WW2, including this one.  It wasn't the usual sort done by HMRI and nowhere near as interesting.  It was a Court of Inquiry by judges under the Merchant Shipping Act in which their Lordships merely sought answers to a series of questions such was the master of this vessel or that one negligent.

I well remember the piers still standing many years after the bridge spans had been removed, used to see it as I drove down the A48 regularly to visit my parents near Chepstow (avoiding the tolls on that motorway bridge).  Given what had happened and that the decision not to repair the bridge you would think the piers would have been removed as a hazard to shipping.  There obviously wasn't the money for that either, at least until many years later.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Given what had happened and that the decision not to repair the bridge you would think the piers would have been removed as a hazard to shipping.  There obviously wasn't the money for that either, at least until many years later.

By then there was very little shipping on that part of the river, most things heading upstream would have used the ship canal.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Report here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-winchester-crash-children-seriously-22659275#source=push

It is indeed the same bridge, which beggars the question how on earth did the driver not realise that a double deck bus wouldn't fit?

and who issued that bus for that route. 

Once you're driving it's automatic.. You don't think of what's above you, you are concentrating on getting it down the narrow road.

• Agree 3

That bridge is not only low, it is narrow.  The bus seems to have gone right through - what speed was it doing to approach a dark narrow passageway without being able to stop if there was a vehicle coming towards it ?

moderators, if this is too contentious, please delete

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, duncan said:

That bridge is not only low, it is narrow.  The bus seems to have gone right through - what speed was it doing to approach a dark narrow passageway without being able to stop if there was a vehicle coming towards it ?

moderators, if this is too contentious, please delete

Looking at the third photo down on the BBC article (showing the bus from the front) it looks like the bus is maybe half way through the bridge or a bit more.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

and who issued that bus for that route. 

Once you're driving it's automatic.. You don't think of what's above you, you are concentrating on getting it down the narrow road.

Its been pointed out on another thread. With social distancing it may have been thought prudent to put a larger vehicle on the service. In many cases a double deck bus in place of a single decker. The bus must have been going at some speed judging by the distance it travelled beneath the bridge before stopping.