Bridge bashing

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

A bit of a different bridge bash:

I remember many years ago that a King with safety valve went in one side of a bridge s and emerged the other side without them, and 6201 was de-chimnied at Salford.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Wharf!!! WHARF!!! you be calling a railway station a train station next... My dear buoy on the broads that be called a Staithe..

Obviously the Broads people can't talk proper

A Staithe is where coal is loaded into ships:yes:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Wharf!!! WHARF!!! you be calling a railway station a train station next... My dear buoy on the broads that be called a Staithe..

Even I knew that, thanks to reading Arthur Ransome when I was little.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Obviously the Broads people can't talk proper

A Staithe is where coal is loaded into ships:yes:

and is where Norfolk wherries were loaded, they were the only hard banked sections of river. 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

As a good Wessex man, I would not want to be confused with those coming from the Danelaw!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

As a good Wessex man, I would not want to be confused with those coming from the Danelaw!

As I be born in zommerzet, I finds it hard to do Norfuk accent..

• Funny 5

11 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I am interested in the sign on the bridge: "Enola Safety Committee", not the railway company.

Jonathan

I assumed that was a committee of railroad staff employed in and around Enola yard, dealing with local concerns.

(Edit - autocorrect!!! No, it has nothing to do with a deadly viral disease!)

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, keefer said:

since we're talking US railroad bridge mishaps, this came up quite randomly on my YouTube feed t'other day:

And two pages ago on this thread, and in at least one other thread entitled 'how not to deliver cars' and probably elesewhere in the darker corners of rmweb that I don't frequent - I suspect a lot less random then you think.

Jon

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

I remember many years ago that a King with safety valve went in one side of a bridge s and emerged the other side without them, and 6201 was de-chimnied at Salford.

Going back many years, I remember waiting for a S&D 7F (13809?) near Hellifield in the early 80s on a railtour .

Reason given was that it had struck a bridge and removed the top lip of the chimney.

A bit of digging and it happened on the Wyvern Express  31/10/81 in the Manchester area.

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/811031pg.htm

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, TheQ said:

Actually there are a lot of hirers around at the moment, after the national lockdown there has been a bumper season for hire, so much so the  boat yards have extended the season available at least to  the end of October. Most are fully booked. Already 2021 bookings are 80% up on a normal year..

Indeed, I was very tempted to hire a boat on the Thames last month, but as a single person it neither worked out economically or practically (it really takes two people to take a boat through a lock, unless you really know what you're doing - in fact I'm not sure the hire company hires to single users).

The other downside for me is that I'd spend half the holiday sailing away, seeing new scenery (good), and the second half returning seeing what I'd already seen (not so good). Now, if they were to connect the Basingstoke Canal into the K&A, or rebuild the Wilts & Berks to create a circular loop, that'd be a different proposition (or even if different hire companies had a reciprocal agreement so that you could drop a boat off somewhere else and get the train back).

But I can see the attraction - being able to 'get away' and have a change of scenery, without needing to have contact with anyone else!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jonhall said:

And two pages ago on this thread, and in at least one other thread entitled 'how not to deliver cars' and probably elesewhere in the darker corners of rmweb that I don't frequent - I suspect a lot less random then you think.

Jon

Oops sorry, didn't realise

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

You can certainly get away from it all.  Many years ago our family had a canal holiday which happened to include the day the clocks changed. We managed to change ours the wrong way and didn't realise until the evening.

If you want a circular tour try the Cheshire Ring.

Anyway, back to railway bridges I suppose.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I believe that some hire companies that have several boatyards and moorings at different locations, allow you to pick up at one and drop off at another. Similar arrangements are also available from some car hire firms.

They do. But they tend to be a bit conservative about how long it will take you to cruise between the two hire bases. So you can still end up doing some of the canal twice.

That said, cruising is slower these days with so many more boats than when I was doing a lot of cruising 30+ years ago. And a lot more grockles who have no idea how to control their boats, use locks, etc..

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

And a lot more grockles who have no idea how to control their boats, use locks, etc..

Tell me about it - I've seen someone manage to wedge a narrow boat sideways across the approach to Caversham Lock, and on another occasion someone manage to jam two boats side by side going through the gate!

Plus of course the old favourite of tying the boat up in a full lock without allowing for the drop in water level....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems from the report that the flood current caught them out.

I often wonder how steerable these loads are watching them through Fort Madison Swing Bridge on Virtual Railfan.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It seems from the report that the flood current caught them out.

I often wonder how steerable these loads are watching them through Fort Madison Swing Bridge on Virtual Railfan.

I watch the trains and boats on the Fort Madison Railcam (as Chris35005) as well and I am amazed how the tows get through the bridge and we have to remember that the tows at Fort Madison are much smaller than at Vicksburg.

There is a tow captain from the southern end of the Mississippi below St Louis who regularly chats on the Fort Madison VRF cam and his comments can be very enlightening.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

The other downside for me is that I'd spend half the holiday sailing away, seeing new scenery (good), and the second half returning seeing what I'd already seen (not so good). Now, if they were to connect the Basingstoke Canal into the K&A, or rebuild the Wilts & Berks to create a circular loop, that'd be a different proposition (or even if different hire companies had a reciprocal agreement so that you could drop a boat off somewhere else and get the train back).

There has been a Wilts & Berks restoration scheme running for several decades, but progress is a bit slow.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

tows at Fort Madison are much smaller than at Vicksburg.

The report said 30 barges of grain. The most I've seen at Ft M. is 10 barges, 3x3 + 1 alongside the barge and there were several comments about that on the chat.

Must be difficult steering, especially during flood season. You are so far back from the sharp end(s)!

Strange that they are always referred to as tows but are actually pushes.

• Agree 1