Bridge bashing

18 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Maybe the Corporation had resurfaced the road without telling the bus operators?

They were the bus operators!!

Of course that wouldn't help, the two different departments wouldn't be in the same building or communicate with one another.  

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it absolutely certain it was a corporation bus? It appears to be a high bridge bus which someone stated was not operated by Reading. Many near identical liveries abounded until about 1970 and it could have been from one of the independent operators of the time.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Is it absolutely certain it was a corporation bus? It appears to be a high bridge bus which someone stated was not operated by Reading. Many near identical liveries abounded until about 1970 and it could have been from one of the independent operators of the time.

Looking more closely I think perhaps it isn't a RCT vehicle and does appear to be a high bridge. As to who's it could be I can't think - I can't place the livery.

• Like 2

On 06/12/2020 at 17:52, peanuts said:

looks like bridge bashing is not a new phenomenon 

ROAD TRAFFIC ACCIDENT
NEWBOLD STREET, ROCHDALE.
24 JUNE 1967

"POLICE MANNING A ROAD BLOCK AT THE JUNCTION OF MILNROW ROAD AND ALBERT ROYDS STREET [CALAMITY CORNER] WERE AMAZED TO SEE A LARGE PANTECHNICON TURN DOWN NEWBOLD STREET JUST SHORT OF THE ROAD BLOCK.   A FEW SECONDS LATER THEY HEARD THE BANG AS THE VEHICLE JAMMED ITSELF UNDER THE LOW STONE ARCHWAY OF THE RAILWAY BRIDGE ON NEWBOLD STREET.
ONE OF THE THREE OCCUPANTS OF THE CAB WAS TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER BEING THROWN THROUGH THE WINDSCREEN, BUT WAS DISCHARGED AFTER TREATMENT."

newbold[24066702].jpg

newbold[24066701].jpg

not certain but could be same location as above 

• Like 1

Actually I'm struggling to find this particular bridge. Most of the bridges in Rochdale are girder bridges. The only two arch bridges I've managed to find so far are Newbold Street (now footpath only and consequently no height signs on it) and Belfield Lane (height signs partly concealed by foliage but appears to be 6'3")

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, peanuts said:

Rochdale tonight

So now I guess the discussion will change from the accuracy of the height indication to the accuracy of the width indicators. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rab said:

So now I guess the discussion will change from the accuracy of the height indication to the accuracy of the width indicators. :)

The warning sign is still a height indicator, not width. The white lines are there because it's an arch, and they show where the height indication applies.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

The warning sign is still a height indicator, not width. The white lines are there because it's an arch, and they show where the height indication applies.

The lorry appears to be within them (just), so the question is whether or not the lorry's over 8' 9" tall.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

As it got stuck, that'll be a "Yes", then... ;)

Probably, although I believe that there have been examples where there's been less clearance than signed, hence I assume the quesitoning about the accuracy of the width markings (either the lorry's too tall, the height marking is wrong, or the width marking is wrong).

• Agree 2

On 19/12/2020 at 14:46, RJS1977 said:

Actually I'm struggling to find this particular bridge. Most of the bridges in Rochdale are girder bridges. The only two arch bridges I've managed to find so far are Newbold Street (now footpath only and consequently no height signs on it) and Belfield Lane (height signs partly concealed by foliage but appears to be 6'3")

think it may be clough mill at wallsden would just about count as rochdale 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As, thankfully, this thread has been fairly quiet lately, I thought it opportune to post this one. Not a bridge bash but definitely a bridge with a problem.

“The most significant feature on the Ogmore Valleys Extension Railway was the bridge over the GWR main line at Margam Moors. Cleaver, in his report to the directors as engineer in 1905, noted that this bridge had been sinking slowly ever since construction, with the result that the clearance over the GWR rail level was now five inches less than their requirements.” From “A history of the Port Talbot Railway & Docks Company and the South Wales Mineral Railway Volume 1: 1853-1907” by Robin Simmonds (Lightmoor Press, 2012)

At this point the bridge was raised a foot by jacking up the girders and inserting extra supports on the abutments. It doers not say in the book whether the bridge then stopped sinking.

Jonathan

PS The Swansea case has got to court, with the driver on bail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55430912

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

A double-deck trailer again. On average these are about 15'6" tall.

On a personal note, I'm very glad I'm out of road haulage these days - if I still was I'd be at work right now, right up to about 10 or 11pm on Xmas eve.

Spare a thought for all the drivers who won't be at home for the holidays, especially those caught up at Dover. Just remember that EVERYTHING on your dinner table tomorow spent some of it's time on a truck, to get to you.

Yet driving them is an utterly thankless task. :nono:

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 4 weeks later...