Bridge bashing

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

Lorry driver responsible for a bridge strike in Perth punished with driving ban and fine: 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/1985626/lorry-driver-bridge-crash/

No mention however of any consequences for his employer, nor even who his employer was. 

Lorry companies have to have an Operators Licence, and when their vehicles or drivers are involved in offences they are reported to the Traffic Commissioner for the area. The Commissioner can take various actions against lorry firms that have repeated or significant failings. As this driver went to court the Traffic Commissioner (assuming the system in Scotland is the same as England?) will have been informed at the point the police became involved. However that may be some time after the original incident or driver prosecution.

https://www.gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator/what-happens-if-you-break-the-terms-of-your-licence

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Now the Maxi really was a tardis. I know some of the space in modern cars is taken up with safety stuff but I do think that modern designers have lost the ability to create space, or do they just think people don't want it? Every three years I have to find a car with a suitably sized boot for all the disabilty equipment we take on holiday with us and every time I end up looking at the same three makes, VW, (and Skoda), Kia and Toyota in their mid range estates. The others just don't seem to be able to make the best use of space. The toyota is the strange one, it's a hybrid and so has the disadvantage of having a large battery pack yet still out performs the vauxhall and Ford cars! 

Mind you if you want poor use of space try an SUV!! 

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Now the Maxi really was a tardis. I know some of the space in modern cars is taken up with safety stuff but I do think that modern designers have lost the ability to create space, or do they just think people don't want it? Every three years I have to find a car with a suitably sized boot for all the disabilty equipment we take on holiday with us and every time I end up looking at the same three makes, VW, (and Skoda), Kia and Toyota in their mid range estates. The others just don't seem to be able to make the best use of space. The toyota is the strange one, it's a hybrid and so has the disadvantage of having a large battery pack yet still out performs the vauxhall and Ford cars! 

No, modern estate cars don't seem to have anywhere the same space older ones did. Some years back I came across something I hadn't seen in a long time and haven't seen since - a Mark IV/V Cortina estate. Compared to modern cars, the boot on that was enormous!

A few years ago a friend of mine had to buy a Ford Galaxy as it was the only car big enough to take his layout to shows. When the car reached the end of the line, so did the layout.... I reckon it would have fitted in a Cortina!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Hobby said:

12 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

No, modern estate cars don't seem to have anywhere the same space older ones did. Some years back I came across something I hadn't seen in a long time and haven't seen since - a Mark IV/V Cortina estate. Compared to modern cars, the boot on that was enormous!

A few years ago a friend of mine had to buy a Ford Galaxy as it was the only car big enough to take his layout to shows. When the car reached the end of the line, so did the layout.... I reckon it would have fitted in a Cortina!  

That was alsways the thing Volvo were known for, but it seems not so any more - 740 boot space 992/2123 litres, the current V90 just 560/1526. That's a huge drop!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2021 at 15:28, Hobby said:

Now the Maxi really was a tardis.

All I can remember of Maxis is being a kid in shorts having to sit on the plastic seats of a Maxi that had been out in the sun all day.

• Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, 2251 said:

Some interesting photographs and information about the recovery effort after the A26 incident:

https://www.mickgouldcommercials.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=59001&sid=fb6a60103ba389aec2f8d51500d63a57

One photo clearly shows the height sign on the front of the trailer, in both metric and Imperial. At the end of the day it really does come down to the driver's responsibility to take note of this sign -  they can't miss it when they couple up the trailer!

In my case back in 2003, at 4am on a dark morning, with the trailer already hooked up, I failed to notice the sign read "4.5m", instead of "4.2m" which all the identical blue trailers at that Company had been for the previous 2 years I'd been there. :fool:   that was the end of that job, for me....

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Grantham 1971 shows how serious a bridge strike can be - looks like this one brought the bridge down on top of a passing car. Thankfully no injuries and I think the line was disused by that time - but it's only a few hundred yards from the East Coast Main Line.

Click Here for local news report

Click Here for view today - ECML in distance

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Grantham 1971 shows how serious a bridge strike can be - looks like this one brought the bridge down on top of a passing car. Thankfully no injuries and I think the line was disused by that time - but it's only a few hundred yards from the East Coast Main Line.

Click Here for local news report

Click Here for view today - ECML in distance

It says no one was hurt, no mention of the car drivers underwear.:jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, obviously not the whole bridge ! ................................shows how well the paint was bonded to the bonnet of a Ford Angular !

It looks as if the chunk of brick parapet in front of the car landed on the bonnet. By the looks of the damage to the bonnet the engine may very well suffered damage as well. The car was almost certainly a write off.

• RMweb Premium

The GCR Reunification project is dealing with a very large funding requirement to replace a bridge over the A60 which has suffered from repeated bridge strikes as well as ‘deferred maintenance’. 

The Highways Authority has resurfaced the road under the bridge repeatedly, raising the road level by some 300mm, a contributing factor.

There will be a fundraiser appeal very soon. Please support it.

Dava

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/02/2021 at 09:55, corneliuslundie said:

Surely a car transporter driver SHOULD know the height of his load, or he is not safe out. In a case like this surely a prosecution of both the driver and his employer is called for? And I would have thought he is likely to be a local as Stonea is not exactly a metropolis (but no worse for that).

Jonathan 

A friend of mine worked for a number of car transporter companies over 30 years - he made up a "height indicator pole" which he carried with him. He could check the height of his load (it's the drivers responibility to know the dimantions & weight of his vehicle). He would then adjust the vehicle height indicator in the cab (a legal responsibility & a good enough reason to refuse to take a vehicle out.)

Never had an accident &/or collision in that time till he started supermarket work.

Edited by SamThomas
"vehicle height" should have been "vehicle height indicator"
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SamThomas said:

A friend of mine worked for a number of car transporter companies over 30 years - he made up a "height indicator pole" which he carried with him. He could check the height of his load (it's the drivers responibility to know the dimantions & weight of his vehicle). He would then adjust the vehicle height indicator in the cab (a legal responsibility & a good enough reason to refuse to take a vehicle out.)

Never had an accident &/or collision in that time till he started supermarket work.

What happened after he started supermarket work?

:D

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

What happened after he started supermarket work?

:D

He was not used to reversing, especially in the confines of tight supermarket delivery bays, 2 x walls, 3 x cars (which really should not have been in the delivery bays), several instances of trailer/dock/sissor lift damage & a whole mountain of paperwork & he gave up HGV driving.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

He was not used to reversing, especially in the confines of tight supermarket delivery bays, 2 x walls, 3 x cars (which really should not have been in the delivery bays), several instances of trailer/dock/sissor lift damage & a whole mountain of paperwork & he gave up HGV driving.

Oh, so sorry to hear that, except for the cars in the delivery bays.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

I was on the wheel of the SS Freshspring in Bristol, a 125 foot steel steam ship.

Somebody put their tupperware cruiser in a berth reserved for us.

No visible damage but we ripped all its bulkheads out by just rubbing against it!

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2