Bridge bashing

5 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

If you think some railway modellers are a bit obsessive about the number of rivets, you should look at caravan forums about weight limits and licence categories - RMweb is so calm in comparison . . . ! !

If you want to see them go apoplectic just add towing with a grey import into the mix!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I was quite disappointed, having failed my test pre the 97 changes and passed after, to discover that that delay meant I wasn't entitled to drive traction engines!

(Not that I've ever had opportunity to, other than a miniature one round the RSME car park!)

As traction engines tend to be driven by two people, one steering and one controlling the valve gear, regulator  and brake while managing the boiler and fire, which would need a licence, when the latter is nominally the 'driver' ?  I've had the pleasure of steering a small one (Wallis & Steevens tractor) around the Great Dorset Steam Fair ground (though not in the 'Play Pen') with the owner driving.  It is possible to drive single handed, more easily on smaller engines.  The owner referred to would go to and from rallies single handed, towing a water tank and a Land Rover on an A-frame.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

As traction engines tend to be driven by two people, one steering and one controlling the valve gear, regulator  and brake while managing the boiler and fire, which would need a licence, when the latter is nominally the 'driver' ?  I've had the pleasure of steering a small one (Wallis & Steevens tractor) around the Great Dorset Steam Fair ground (though not in the 'Play Pen') with the owner driving.  It is possible to drive single handed, more easily on smaller engines.  The owner referred to would go to and from rallies single handed, towing a water tank and a Land Rover on an A-frame.

Did the owner bash any bridges on the way? Just to get back on topic!

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I popped down to Tess Coes Pitsea this afternoon only having to turn round within sight of the store and take a four mile detour due to a truck stuck under the bridge  at Pitsea. When I left the store I saw a Network Rail van marked response unit passed by heading for the station and the truck was still stuck under the bridge.

• RMweb Premium

The question is how did it get stuck in the first place? I drive under that bridge on an almost daily basis and even normal double deck buses have no problem negotiating that bridge. It appears to be a standard shipping container on a normal skeletal trailer. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

standard shipping container

Unfortunately that is one of the larger containers that are in service which are if I remember correctly 9ft 6 inches high and 45 feet long. 

The large 45 is a clue to the containers size.

Terry.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

According to the signage the bridge is 13' 6" so that still leaves four foot. I suspect the container was empty and the lorry was riding high. Another mystery is why was he driving on that particular piece of road when the A13 running parallel was only a few metres away.

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

According to the signage the bridge is 13' 6" so that still leaves four foot. I suspect the container was empty and the lorry was riding high. .....

The road markings looks fairly crisp .......... maybe 13'6'' didn't take the latest layer of tarmac into consideration !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The road markings looks fairly crisp .......... maybe 13'6'' didn't take the latest layer of tarmac into consideration !

As I said above I drive under that bridge on an almost daily basis and it is several years since the road was re-surfaced. The road markings were getting worn however and were only repainted in the last 18 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

As I said above I drive under that bridge on an almost daily basis and it is several years since the road was re-surfaced. The road markings were getting worn however and were only repainted in the last 18 months.

Obviously the thickness of the road lining paint is to blame :)

• Funny 4

19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

According to the signage the bridge is 13' 6" so that still leaves four foot.

As the standard 5th wheel height is usually 1250mm - a couple of inches over 4ft - there's the gap filled already, without the added height of the skelly.

Been a few years now since I was an HGV driver, but I'm pretty sure hi-cube boxes bring the height to 14ft-6in or -9in. There's no way that rig was going to fit under a 13ft 6in bridge.

The trouble with boxes is that they don't actually have their external height marked on them, IIRC. They are either 'standard' or 'hicube'; a recipe sure to catch out inexperienced drivers, and as I've related before on this Thread, there are a LOT of inexperienced HGV drivers around these days.

Edit: scrubbed the height bit, which I obviously didn't recall correctly :fool:  as jonboy has pointed out, hicube boxes do carry a height warning.

There's still a lot of inexperienced drivers out there, though..... :nono:

Edited by F-UnitMad
Duff gen.
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2021 at 14:37, petethemole said:

Late response to an off topic question, but the driver is the one in charge, which is the one with the regulator, reverser and slightly token brake to hand, not the one furiously spinning a wheel around in the hope of having some impact on the direction the thing is pointing!

Incidentally I'm fairly sure you can still drive a traction engine on rubbers on a car license but you certainly can't drive a roller, steam or otherwise- that requires a Category G license. You can steer one without (I do from time to time) but not drive.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The protection beam at Chinley seems to be quite effective by the look of the marks on it. These are just a few. It's slightly lower than the brickwork on this side because there is less clearance above the road at the other side of the line.

image.png.d8a733445256a4caa241ae5681ff482d.png

Not applicable in this particular case but a lot of bridges around there are doubled up from when it was quad, although it's back to double track now. The remaining track is on the downhill side so anything too low heading down the hill on the roads will conveniently hit the disused bridge first.

• Like 1