Bridge bashing

5 hours ago, Reorte said:

The remaining track is on the downhill side so anything too low heading down the hill on the roads will conveniently hit the disused bridge first.

Don't you mean too high? :scratchhead:;)

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Can I ask a question about OHLE in Manchester? :jester:

NO!!! :nono:  :punish:  :blum:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If it discharges its load it will be really stuck!

That's a poor solution, because as the concrete is removed, the truck will rise thus jamming it further.

What is needed is to pump more concrete into it until the suspension sags more.

Thought for the day - why does a cement truck carry concrete?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Thanks for that, until the wording was changed from train to railway station I didn't have a clue what the story was about....

It was clearly about a station of some kind :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2021 at 13:05, caradoc said:

Thanks for that, until the wording was changed from train to railway station I didn't have a clue what the story was about....

Here we go again.

Yawn.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2021 at 10:04, Wickham Green too said:

Good question ..... was it a cement ( mixer ) truck or a bulk or bagged cement lorry ??

Aren't the concrete ones called concrete? e.g. "ready mixed concrete"

I haven't heard of "ready mixed cement" lorries :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Aren't the concrete ones called concrete? e.g. "ready mixed concrete"

I haven't heard of "ready mixed cement" lorries :no:

I guess concrete is the correct word for ready mix lorries.

Cement is just one 'ingredient', which is added to sand,

aggregate and water to produce concrete.

• Agree 1

Well AIUI the raw ingredients are loaded at the depot (sand, aggregate, cement, water), and the truck mixes it as it goes along, so for a large proportion of it's journey it is indeed a cement mixer, and if the destination is sufficiently close to the depot it may not have mixed all the cement and will have to mix a little bit more on site before it is ready to pour.  It is only "Ready Mix" on point of delivery, not whilst in transit.  This will be done to ensure the longest possible time that the concrete can be used on site before it starts going off.

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2021 at 12:19, Craig1989 said:

A cement lorry has decided to get stuck under the bridge by kings langley train station today 

Talking about cement lorry bridge-bashes - I've probably posted this before but ........................... Oxshott - Friday 05-11-10 (an interesting weekend). Lorry struck the bridge parapet - fell off - landed on top of the train passing underneath ending up trackside - no injuries on the train - 2 coaches damaged beyond repair - lorry driver seriously injured but ultimately OK.

DSC00400.JPG.deae31b2f4402ab2317e24a731cf3f98.JPG

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Talking about cement lorry bridge-bashes - I've probably posted this before but ........................... Oxshott - Friday 05-11-10 (an interesting weekend). Lorry struck the bridge parapet - fell off - landed on top of the train passing underneath ending up trackside - no injuries on the train - 2 coaches damaged beyond repair - lorry driver seriously injured but ultimately OK.

DSC00400.JPG.deae31b2f4402ab2317e24a731cf3f98.JPG

Looking at the parapet for this side, has it occurred before on this bridge, or a significant repair.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The odd thing is that there seem to be no photos of this particular incident on the interweb - so we'll probably never know whether it's a cement/concrete mixer or a curtain-sider or bulk tanker we're all pondering !

So no one will be able to sleep for another few nights……;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The odd thing is that there seem to be no photos of this particular incident on the interweb - so we'll probably never know whether it's a cement/concrete mixer or a curtain-sider or bulk tanker we're all pondering !

You mean there's no concrete evidence of the incident!

• Funny 4

On 19/08/2021 at 06:11, kevinlms said:

Looking at the parapet for this side, has it occurred before on this bridge, or a significant repair.

No vehicle incursion within living memory - it's a very narrow 2-lane bridge so will almost certainly have suffered some sort of damage requiring such a repair in the past.

• Like 1