Bridge bashing

40 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I know of a similar one where the marks are just visible on a concrete bridge. The cause was a tipper truck driver forgetting to lower the tip body. Bridge 1 tipper truck 0.

that just reminds me off the night Middleton jn west went up.on smoke job stopped Rochdale to moston trains coupling up  at rochdale and going around the oldham loop to split again at victoria just despatched one such set round yo shaw .when i get a call from. controll job stopped Oldham Mumps due to a bridge bash !!?  . a few puzzled moments then word comes through of someone stealing an 18t skip loader and trying to drive under mumps bridge with the skip raised for tipping who lot ended up on its side in the road woth a huge rent in the railings on the bridge which were still there when it was gorn down for the trams 

• Like 2

Whitehouse Bridge in Swindon got hit again yesterday for the many-hundredth time.  A common theory is that lorry drivers buy car satnavs or use their phone for navigation (HGV satnavs, which are aware of route restrictions, are a lot more expensive).  Cheap satnav chooses car route, lorry driver is too dozy to see signs, SMACK!

I think the drivers are charged with careless driving but I doubt any lose their licences; they can just plead with the court that they'll lose their job, so the court lets them go on doing what got them into trouble in the first place :(

• Agree 1

IIRC Some Control staff at Swindon were trained as Bridge Strike Nominees (BSN), as there was a nearby bridge which was struck repeatedly (presumably Whitehouse as above) and they might well be the closest staff able to re-open the line. I was also a Controller BSN, however this was primarily to make use of the Bridge Strike Camera system fitted at a few vulnerable or remote locations in Scotland.

1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

Whitehouse Bridge in Swindon got hit again yesterday for the many-hundredth time.  A common theory is that lorry drivers buy car satnavs or use their phone for navigation (HGV satnavs, which are aware of route restrictions, are a lot more expensive).  Cheap satnav chooses car route, lorry driver is too dozy to see signs, SMACK!

I think the drivers are charged with careless driving but I doubt any lose their licences; they can just plead with the court that they'll lose their job, so the court lets them go on doing what got them into trouble in the first place :(

this is so acurate got a job this time four years ago with Argos on deliverys first night no one knows where we are going we just have a card with the last mile to each store .manager shoots off into warehouse comes back with 16 garmins for the lorrys wasnt impressed when we pointed out no hight weight or width settings his words "its all we can afford deal with it " which was all fine and good untill the inevitable happen and someone got directed over warburton toll bridge in a 7.5tonne 15ft high lorry oooops 

• Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, peanuts said:

this is so acurate got a job this time four years ago with Argos on deliverys first night no one knows where we are going we just have a card with the last mile to each store .manager shoots off into warehouse comes back with 16 garmins for the lorrys wasnt impressed when we pointed out no hight weight or width settings his words "its all we can afford deal with it " which was all fine and good untill the inevitable happen and someone got directed over warburton toll bridge in a 7.5tonne 15ft high lorry oooops 

So what exactly does a lorry cost & how much does an HGV Satnav cost?

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

So what exactly does a lorry cost & how much does an HGV Satnav cost?

hgv satnav  typicaly around £300-500 lorry £20k plus but i know what you are saying  this is saddly how many logistics   sorry haulage firms are run managers who have never been behind a wheel  hired to run the company as cheaply as possible drivers are just steering wheel attendants to hire and fire on a whim as there is always some desperate mug willing to get the job done without questioning they're instruction .does this sound vaguely familiar to any ex railway staff 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Damned obvious how it happened - but what on earth was a double-decker doing there anyway ......... does it LOOK like a bus stop ?

Unless there was one just out of shot behind the photographer? 

I have been told by a friend I shared the article with that the SAME bus had an almost identical crash in May 2012, only photo I can find is of it being towed away for repair afterwards - https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenquyphotography/8245031973

Dale

• Like 1

They really should change the bus routes :)

Lorries becoming wedged under bridges is so common in Swindon (Whitehouse Bridge and Wootton Bassett Road Bridge are both low) that the police have got pretty good at dealing with it.  The first thing they do is to let all the air out of the tyres, which usually drops the vehicle by enough to drag it out.

Swindon's traffic issues, such as they are, largely stem from the limited number of railway crossings.  There are only four GWML road crossings in the town proper (the two above, plus Transfer Bridges and Rodbourne Road, both of which are somewhat taller).  And most people seem to live on one side of the line and work on the other!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

The first thing they do is to let all the air out of the tyres, which usually drops the vehicle by enough to drag it out

Do they really?? :scratchhead: Ever tried moving a lorry with one flat tyre, never mind all 14 of them* ??!!!

I don't think so.

" Assuming an Artic, 3-axle Unit (8 tyres) with a 3-axle trailer running super-singles (6 tyres).

For the Pedantic, who've probably never even ever sat in a truck, never mind driven one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dale159 said:

Unless there was one just out of shot behind the photographer? 

I have been told by a friend I shared the article with that the SAME bus had an almost identical crash in May 2012, only photo I can find is of it being towed away for repair afterwards - https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenquyphotography/8245031973

Dale

image.png.648c7e69f9d1a9b048112103a037e56c.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Do they really?? :scratchhead: Ever tried moving a lorry with one flat tyre, never mind all 14 of them* ??!!!

I don't think so.

" Assuming an Artic, 3-axle Unit (8 tyres) with a 3-axle trailer running super-singles (6 tyres).

For the Pedantic, who've probably never even ever sat in a truck, never mind driven one.

They don't drag it out by hand!  They use a recovery vehicle unless it's only mildly stuck, in which case partial deflation can grab a couple of inches and it might be able to move clear under its own power. 

Sometimes they get really, really wedged, like this lorry carrying Lynx.  That won't buff out.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11306860.a-close-shave-for-deodorant-lorry-stuck-under-bridge/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:
5 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

They don't drag it out by hand!  They use a recovery vehicle unless it's only mildly stuck, in which case partial deflation can grab a couple of inches

Well duh... yeah I didn't think they drag them out by hand either - but even moving one with a Wrecker - or under it's own power, with all the tyres down is a big ask.

But now 'partial deflation'... that is rather different to letting "all" the air out the tyres. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Sometimes they get really, really wedged, like this lorry carrying Lynx.  That won't buff out.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11306860.a-close-shave-for-deodorant-lorry-stuck-under-bridge/

Looks like it got deflected to the left by the skew and dragged the tractor off it's wheels.

• Agree 1