Bridge bashing

22 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

No mention of whether the Council was told the signage was inadequate.

If the signage was indeed 'inadequate', ie non-compliant with legal requirements, would this not have been used in the bus driver's defence ? 

Regardless, this incident was a tragedy, obviously for the poor lady who died and those who were injured, but also for the bus driver, for whom, despite having dealt with more bridge strikes in my railway career than I care to remember, I have some sympathy; He made a mistake which had devastating consequences. It was not the first such fatal accident, and there have been other bus/bridge incidents since, as recorded in this topic. 

27 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Really good news that it has been a month since the last post.

True, but that is just an indication that those bridge strikes which have occurred since the last post have not been nationally-newsworthy. 

• Agree 1

Unfortunately bridge strikes are pretty much a daily occurrence on Network Rail, although usually without such tragic results as the Swansea incident. My personal record, as a Network Rail Controller responsible for answering the emergency phone number displayed nowadays on the bridge ID plates, was three in the one shift. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

Unfortunately bridge strikes are pretty much a daily occurrence on Network Rail, although usually without such tragic results as the Swansea incident. My personal record, as a Network Rail Controller responsible for answering the emergency phone number displayed nowadays on the bridge ID plates, was three in the one shift. 

I've had days like that too

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/12/2020 at 17:34, F-UnitMad said:

A double-deck trailer again. On average these are about 15'6" tall.

On a personal note, I'm very glad I'm out of road haulage these days - if I still was I'd be at work right now, right up to about 10 or 11pm on Xmas eve.

Spare a thought for all the drivers who won't be at home for the holidays, especially those caught up at Dover. Just remember that EVERYTHING on your dinner table tomorow spent some of it's time on a truck, to get to you.

Yet driving them is an utterly thankless task. :nono:

These trailers are 16' 4" (12'1" body) on a 4' 3" fifth wheel. If you lift the axle on a Scania unit it raises the 5th wheel by 3". This makes your trailer 16'7" tall.. Only bridges under 16'6" have to be marked and even 16'3" bridges are in a grey area!

You are totally right about the thankless task! Enjoy your retirement!:good:

cheers 

mark

20200803_230247.jpg

Edited by scruff
added pic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

What don't they understand about "Over height must turn."?

Mostly rental vans - so maybe the drivers aren't used to thinking about height restrictions?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

What don't they understand about "Over height must turn."?

..it applying to them RIGHT NOW!

Is there any other bridge that provides so much "entertainment"?

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Mostly rental vans - so maybe the drivers aren't used to thinking about height restrictions?

And I bet the rental agreement makes the renter responsible for any roof damage too, so a fairly hefty bill...

• Agree 2

On 23/01/2021 at 21:25, scruff said:

These trailers are 16' 4" (12'1" body) on a 4' 3" fifth wheel. If you lift the axle on a Scania unit it raises the 5th wheel by 3". This makes your trailer 16'7" tall.. Only bridges under 16'6" have to be marked and even 16'3" bridges are in a grey area!

You are totally right about the thankless task! Enjoy your retirement!:good:

cheers 

mark

20200803_230247.jpg

Fifth wheel height is a minefield in itself and as you rightly point out the trailer height is quoted based on a certain height fifth wheel which does vary. From my experience you could get the rear air suspension on a Scania in particular to raise quite high, useful for when you were unloading a trailer but not so good for bridges. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...