Bridge bashing

• RMweb Premium

Someone has crunched into a bridge in Plymouth. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58387682?fbclid=IwAR32ic9QldUi96k5J1fPOGqQUxPAdmIbuaMn9yfTDtvPefAedgObifyx_hg

The bridge looks bigger from the side the driver came from but according to Google it has reasonable signage. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3823752,-4.1249022,3a,75y,4.71h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIk5nAbJJaNZ14PTAEwiiuQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Kris said:

Someone has crunched into a bridge in Plymouth. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58387682?fbclid=IwAR32ic9QldUi96k5J1fPOGqQUxPAdmIbuaMn9yfTDtvPefAedgObifyx_hg

The bridge looks bigger from the side the driver came from but according to Google it has reasonable signage. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3823752,-4.1249022,3a,75y,4.71h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIk5nAbJJaNZ14PTAEwiiuQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Oh, that’s not good at all……

• Agree 3

I believe there is a photo on crosscountry's twitter account as well. They are saying no trains today and possibly tomorrow at the moment. 

Edit: latest is there's a dip in the rails, not surprisingly! 

Edited by Hobby
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not condoning the driver at all (the bridge looks low anyway) but that signage does not show how the "clearance" varies from the crown to the sides.

To me, it only looks like 10'9" (if that) at the crown, not the sides.

Looking at the bridge it looks in porr condition if a relatively flimsy truck body is capable of doing that sort of damage.

Edited by SamThomas
Correction & addition.
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Not condoning the driver at all (the bridge looks low anyway) but that signage does not show how the "clearance" varies from the crown to the sides.

To me, it only looks like 10'8" (if that) at the crown, not the sides.

The markers on the far side of the bridge on Google indicate the areas of the bridge that are 10'8".

• Like 1

My (now) fiancé's student digs were the other side of said bridge to mine, the hill the far side of the bridge is very steep, more so than it looks in the photos- it's also narrow, as is evident! I would have thought it would be fairly apparent that going that way might not be the best plan. 

The height is signed in imperial and metric from the road junction as well as the bridge itself (which is close enough to said junction to be visible). Of course that's not much help if your vehicle is less than that but long.

Incidentally I always thought she lived in Mutley, not Mannamead- evidently not!

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SamThomas said:

To me, it only looks like 10'9" (if that) at the crown, not the sides.

Looking at the bridge it looks in porr condition if a relatively flimsy truck body is capable of doing that sort of damage.

Also despite what the nearby resident says, the bridge look like it has had some recent repair work done. Presumably from a similar incident.

But the steepness of the road is quite something and presents a problem with longer vehicles and the angle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Maybe they do, but I'm referring to the signage in the image.

According to Google images from November 2020 there were markers on both sides of the bridge. 

This is the side that the pictures are shown from https://www.google.com/maps/@50.382629,-4.1249,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1si_uk4VlRa57fkSqsy0UVag!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The link in the first post I made about this showed the side the driver would have seen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

It's an insulated body - a lot stronger & heavier than a curtainsider.

Yes, but not by much & no match at all for a substantial stone structure.

& before anyone picks holes in that statement I drive both fridge & curtainsider 18 tonners & am more than aware of the structural strength of both.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The signage that matters is that on the far side pf the bridge.  

However, bearing in mind the incident it should also have a length limit.

It looks like to me that the white vertical & horizontal markers are missing from one side of the bridge (just commenting).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, vlvstvir said:

I’m currently on the 08:15 Penzance to Paddington - we’ve been told that we’re going through but have to pass very very slowly over the bridge. 

Reportedly 1 line is usable at 5mph

1A76 appears to have gone up the down past Laira...

Bristol TM has work so GWR curently has a HST castle running  between Bedminster and Totnes

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2

OK latest: Down passed for 5mph, single line working, 5C00 was first over, now 1A76. GWR only, no XC which will be terminating mainly at Newton Abbot or Totnes.

Regards the discussion above, from a layman's point of view, there's clear signage and the lorry driver is supposed to know the height of his vehicle (I believe this was discussed earlier and it was one of their pre-drive checks, as is his route which should include any "obstructions" (such as low bridges or narrow roads). So there is no excuse, especially as there are plenty of other suitable routs he could have taken in that area. Looks to me that he was either in a rush or wanted to save fuel, or both.

Lorry drivers are now demanding (and some seem to be getting if the Press are to be believed) much higher wages, quotes of £50k seen though I'm not sure if it's true. With that comes responsibility, same as the much maligned train drivers. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is on this one, though I doubt it'll make the headlines the same as if it were a train driver...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Lorry drivers are now demanding (and some seem to be getting if the Press are to be believed) much higher wages, quotes of £50k seen though I'm not sure if it's true. With that comes responsibility, same as the much maligned train drivers. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is on this one, though I doubt it'll make the headlines the same as if it were a train driver...

Quite right.  A friend of mine drives the Oxford Tube double-deck coaches along the M40 and was peeved at train drivers earning around double what he does.  He reckoned his job was far more complex and stressful - "train drivers don't even have to steer"!  He was taken to Reading and given a few hours on GWR's HST simulator (this was a few years back) which quickly changed his view and shut him up.  It was bad enough for him to just "drive" the thing let alone have to take the route and rule book knowledge into account.

Incidentally, he tells me that if for any reason they have to deviate from their prescribed route due to a road closure, they have first to contact the depot by radio and be given instructions exactly which alternative route to follow.  Failure to do so is a firing offence.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

er ..... "The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed."

Apologies.

Try this.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/19544459.old-railway-bridge-warrington-central-station-removed/

• Like 4