Bridge bashing

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Put speed limiters in cars, linked to transponders at the roadside so they cannot exceed whatever the speed limit for that road is.

Oh look, a whole squadron of pigs just flew past...... 

This part is coming and coming sooner rather than later. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/news/mandatory-speed-limiters-on-uk-cars-from-2022

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I can tell you that you don't need an eye test on reaching 70 as such.  You have to certify that you can still see straight (I think it's officially read a number plate at 75 paces or something). 

However if you are diagnosed with diabetes you need an eye test and it's notifiable to DVLA.

I was told by my ophthalmist that she would have to report me to the DVLA unless I had my cataracts removed.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

One problem with some older people is Alzheimers.  If it's too bad your licence will be taken away.  However, that won't stop you going for a drive, as you forget they've taken it .....  happened to a friend of my mother's - his wife had to start hiding the car keys after he was found parked in a lay-bye unable to remember where he was going or why.  Poor chap couldn't remember who he was but hadn't forgotten how to drive.

A good few years ago our neighbours (when we lived in Essex) father owned a big Volvo wagon which he took great care over, sadly he was victim of Alzheimer’s in later life and the police found him at the side of the M3 crying in the inside lane scared sh1tle55 as he didn’t know how he got there or even where he was, they brought him home and his car (now that’s good old policing) and from then on his car keys were taken away by his daughter, but they kept the car as he loved going in the garage to clean it……spiteful disease.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

7 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I was told by my ophthalmist that she would have to report me to the DVLA unless I had my cataracts removed.

My sympathies - not something I fancy, bad enough having the diabetic eye test.  However my father had cataracts removed in his 80s and said that his colour vision had improved immensely afterwards.  If you have cataracts in both eyes they will only do one at a time (so you can still see while you are recovering).  He had to go from Chepstow to somewhere near St Davids for the op, and of course mum had to drive on the return journeys and she really wasn't used to driving any further than Newport.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Kris said:

This part is coming and coming sooner rather than later. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/news/mandatory-speed-limiters-on-uk-cars-from-2022

When I was working there was a lot of meetings with EU/U.K.GOV regarding speed limiters, general consensus from the manufacturers side was they would be in favour if the maximum speed was roughly 5 mph over the country’s in question national limit, this was down to the accuracy of speed reading technology.

This was all of ten years ago and legislation runs slowly, of course there is no guarantee that the U.K. will follow the EU in this now, who knows?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

He had to go from Chepstow to somewhere near St Davids for the op, and of course mum had to drive on the return journeys and she really wasn't used to driving any further than Newport.

Probably Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

When I was working there was a lot of meetings with EU/U.K.GOV regarding speed limiters, general consensus from the manufacturers side was they would be in favour if the maximum speed was roughly 5 mph over the country’s in question national limit, this was down to the accuracy of speed reading technology.

This was all of ten years ago and legislation runs slowly, of course there is no guarantee that the U.K. will follow the EU in this now, who knows?

I imagine anything manufactured in the UK for export to the EU will have to follow EU rules; are UK manufacturers going to produce different versions of stuff to comply with different rules (if the UK diverges)?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Although double check (take a photocopy of your old licence before sending it off, although too late in this case), there have been cases of categories being dropped when they've sent out the new one.

Sensible but, even if they have failed to include the covered classes they cannot arbitrarily withdraw the permission to drive those classes included originally, DVLC would have to reinstate them…….might be a bit of a bun fight getting it done though.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

But perhaps I shouldn't have been given the chance? Maybe a quick lynching from a nearby lamp post would suffice? I'm sure it's what some people would like to see happen.

I received bridge strike reports from the Police, members of the public, and sometimes the lorry driver responsible; For whom I did have sympathy, knowing even as I was taking their details that there would be consequences for them, these must however be commensurate with the incident and its results. Personally I feel that their should be severe sanctions for the employer, to encourage hauliers and others to ensure their drivers are properly trained, assessed, and of course given the correct equipment and skills they require. Because, quite frankly, the number of bridge strikes is ridiculous, and sooner or later one will cause a serious railway accident. 

BTW another bus loses its roof at a railway bridge, a couple of days ago:

https://www.bedfordshirelive.co.uk/news/bedfordshire-news/luton-hitchin-road-bus-crash-5852321

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I imagine anything manufactured in the UK for export to the EU will have to follow EU rules; are UK manufacturers going to produce different versions of stuff to comply with different rules (if the UK diverges)?

If being sold in other markets of course the vehicle would have to comply with local regulations (which happens now, and has always done so) but it could be a simple as a software version in the vehicles ECU.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Because, quite frankly, the number of bridge strikes is ridiculous, and sooner or later one will cause a serious railway accident. 

https://www.bedfordshirelive.co.uk/news/bedfordshire-news/luton-hitchin-road-bus-crash-5852321

More often it's the upstairs passengers on the bus who are at risk in such incidents.

If the driving seat of a double decker was upstairs, it might be less of a problem, but I suppose you'd have to bring back clippies to collect the revenue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Re-test won't solve that.  People know not to break the speed limit etc whilst actually taking the test.

Re-testing won't solve all problems but it might well help reduce the number of subconsciously ingrained bad habits that build up over the years and so reduce some of the accidents caused by general carelessness, even though it won't do much about deliberate rule-breaking.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kris said:

Another bit of "progress" that I find very depressing (and not because I want to break the speed limit) - back to my earlier comment about preferring to accept the risk from others than effectively treat everyone like irresponsible children because a few are.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I received bridge strike reports from the Police, members of the public, and sometimes the lorry driver responsible; For whom I did have sympathy, knowing even as I was taking their details that there would be consequences for them, these must however be commensurate with the incident and its results. Personally I feel that their should be severe sanctions for the employer, to encourage hauliers and others to ensure their drivers are properly trained, assessed, and of course given the correct equipment and skills they require. Because, quite frankly, the number of bridge strikes is ridiculous, and sooner or later one will cause a serious railway accident. 

There was a fatal accident due to a bridge strike in Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/remembering-the-new-year-s-eve-train-crash-of-1975-1.2480479

I suspect its only time before we get one in the UK

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Kris said:

It can however be over ridden by the driver, I suggest that there needs to be an absolute maximum speed for any UK Registered vehicle which cannot be over-ridden, I suggest about 80mph.

The 'Black Box' recorders will no doubt make interesting post accident reading

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, johnofwessex said:

It can however be over ridden by the driver, I suggest that there needs to be an absolute maximum speed for any UK Registered vehicle which cannot be over-ridden, I suggest about 80mph.

A fixed upper limit would bother me considerably less (black boxes considerably more). Clearly there'd need to be some exceptions, such as emergency vehicles.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kris said:

Interesting and not surprising.

I use my speed limiter in my car much more often than the cruise control - it gives me control whilst keeping me within limits so I don't have to panic when I see a camera, especially the average speed ones.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

The wider issue is the proliferation of large powerful vehicles that can travel at double the national speed limit - not helped by their replacement with similarly powerful electric vehicles that have blistering acceleration.

No-one needs a car that can get to 60 in 5 seconds (except perhaps the emergency services), neither does anyone need a car that can do more than 100 mph but the manufacturers continue to build them and leasing makes them extremely affordable.

When I was 18 I really wanted a 205 GTi, never got one though I did nearly purchase a Suzuki Swift GTi that had ridiculous performance, commonsense led me to an Orion 1.6i instead.  Since then I've stuck to family friendly cars until my latest purchase a lowly Focus with an eco engine that does everything I need it to.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

To tow a trailer over 750kg ie a caravan you already have to do a separate test if your driving  licence was issued after.. 1st Jan 1997..

You lose that at 70 anyway unless you take a medical, thats if you have 'grandfather rights' anyway. Before I was 70 I could drive trucks up to 7.5 tonnes, minibuses up to 18 seats and tow a trailer over 750 kg. Now I am limited to 3.5 tonnes, 8 seats and trailers under 750 kg. not that it worries me as I no longer have need for those on my licence.

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

One problem with some older people is Alzheimers.  If it's too bad your licence will be taken away.  However, that won't stop you going for a drive, as you forget they've taken it .....  happened to a friend of my mother's - his wife had to start hiding the car keys after he was found parked in a lay-bye unable to remember where he was going or why.  Poor chap couldn't remember who he was but hadn't forgotten how to drive.

I knew of an old chap who had Alzheimers but continued driving, fortunately he didn't have an accident before he was placed in a home and kept away from any car keys.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Re-test won't solve that.  People know not to break the speed limit etc whilst actually taking the test.

Who knows if you get a driving test examiner like this? Actually in the Northern Territory Australia the driving instructor does the testing too!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Hobby said:

I always wonder why people always say retest over 70? Are those under 70 somehow much better drivers than those over 70? Perhaps there's a sudden fall-off when you hit 70 (some people on here could perhaps tell those of us under 70 if that's the case?!). ......

Probably exactly the same reason that the over seventies were / are deemed to be suddenly at greater risk of / from covid .................... er - whatever reason that might be. ( I might be able to tell you in a couple of years or so.)

8 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

My view is that the biggest problem we have on the roads is the low expectation we tolerate of drivers behaviour.

If we expected drivers to behave in the same way we expect train drivers or commercial pilots to behave, took away for ever the licences if those that didnt and dealt harshly with those who drove without a licence or played the fool then I suggest that things might be a lot different.

There is a whole world of difference between the wages that a train driver or airline pilot earns & a HGV driver.

Of course, train drivers or airline pilots never make mistakes & they have signalment & air traffic controllers to guide & assist them.

Tell you what (& this applies to any of those knocking HGV drivers).

I invite to to spend a day with me in my cab & you will have a whole new opinion regarding us HGV drivers.

(You will havwe to be at the yard ready for a 03:00H start).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Probably exactly the same reason that the over seventies were / are deemed to be suddenly at greater risk of / from covid .................... er - whatever reason that might be. ( I might be able to tell you in a couple of years or so.)

It's amazing that, since we over-seventies, are so accident prone and such a bad risk, the insurance companies don't load our premiums. Of course, if you are still in your youth, they do.

The graph of accident rate over age shows that at 17, the rate is very high. It falls exponentially through 21, 25, 30 and 40 and has more or less levelled off at 50 and stays at that level. Except for sudden rise between about 40 and 43. I asked the students (I was teaching Motor Vehicle to apprentices at the time, and they reckoned that no-one above 70 should be allowed to drive) what they thought the reason for this was. Middle age crisis, was the consensus. Si I asked them at what age the parents were when they put their kids on their insurance. Silence ensued.

If you really want to improve road safety, raise the minimum age limit from 17 to 21. If you REALLY want to improve it, raise it to 25. But I'd like to see you try it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Hobby said:

I feel that health and sight tests done on a regular basis would be much more useful than a re-test. Age-related sight loss is a known issue, but can happen at any age, young or old, but isn't checked until you are a 70 when it's unlikely the driver would be doing as many miles per year or driving as fast...

Annual medicals for vocational drivers are already required & the driver or employer has to pay for it with no tax relief).

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

It's amazing that, since we over-seventies, are so accident prone and such a bad risk, the insurance companies don't load our premiums. Of course, if you are still in your youth, they do.

The graph of accident rate over age shows that at 17, the rate is very high. It falls exponentially through 21, 25, 30 and 40 and has more or less levelled off at 50 and stays at that level. Except for sudden rise between about 40 and 43. I asked the students (I was teaching Motor Vehicle to apprentices at the time, and they reckoned that no-one above 70 should be allowed to drive) what they thought the reason for this was. Middle age crisis, was the consensus. Si I asked them at what age the parents were when they put their kids on their insurance. Silence ensued.

If you really want to improve road safety, raise the minimum age limit from 17 to 21. If you REALLY want to improve it, raise it to 25. But I'd like to see you try it.

In some countries younger drivers are restricted. In Germany for example younger drivers (IIRC under 25) if they commit a traffic offence have to re-take their test. Like in the UK learners have to have a qualified driver with them but also that driver must have a minimum number of years experience. A friends daughter who had not long past her test accompanied a friend who was a learner, they were stopped and when it was revealed she had only passed her test in the last year was ordered to take another test before her licence was returned.