Removing a vinyl from an enamelled sign

unravelled

• RMweb Gold
I have an enamelled station sign, about 2000mmx250mm, which has been rebranded with a vinyl, and wondered if anyone  has ideas for removing this, preferably without destroying the vinyl.
The background is that when Overground took over Brockley station they did a quick but neat rebrand using vinyls over the relatively new Southern enamelled signs. Later when they did a proper resign of the station, the old ones went in a skip, and I got permision to take one. I ended up with several, as they were only going in the skip. Rather than have several the same I want to remove the vinyl from one for variety. Just to be difficult I would like to remove the vinyl whole, for possible indoor display.

So, any ideas for suitable solvents which will soften the glue, but not affect the vinyl? Or is heat a possibility?

Thanks

Dave

I don't think you'll succeed in getting solvent to the adhesive to release it, other than millimetre by millimetre with a small paintbrush. You could try that with white spirit, but I wouldn't be very optimistic. I think Mark is right, the best bet will be to warm it, but the downside of that is that warm vinyl is more likely to distort. Vinyl - if its real PVC - is fairly solvent resistant, I'd be surprised if white spirit harmed it, but some of the more aggressive solvents will. Don't try MEK or any of the other chlorinated hydrocarbons like methylene chloride, I'm fairly sure they'll hit vinyl. The only time I ever managed to salvage a sticker effectively it was on a cardboard/vinyl case,and I got it clear by destroying the case and peeling the remains off the sticker rather than vice versa, but of course that's not an option for you.

Edited by JimC

• 2 years later...

When sticking vinyl signs to vehicles or windows, they usually use a mixture of detergent and water applied to the substrate to help remove air bubbles. I don't know if it would work, but if you could gently lift one corner and introduce washing up liquid between the vinyl and the sign, it should weaken the adhesive sufficiently. Do it slowly and carefully. Like I said earlier I cannot guarantee it will work, but is less evasive than using solvents. Good luck and let me know how you get on. 

If the underlying sign is real vitreous enamel, rather than a feeble substitute using screen printing or the like, it can take a fair bit of heat if done carefully. If you heat too much locally the underlying steel can expand differentially and cause crazy-paving cracks in the enamel. I'd be tempted to waft it gently with a soft flame from a blowlamp, to blister the vinyl, although goodness only knows what fumes that will release!

• RMweb Premium

I had a vinyl sign on the bulkhead of a van I was getting restored. The restorer removed it for me and stuck it onto a bit of ally. On asking what he used he just said brake fluid...  cleaner.

It might be worth a shot..

Andy G

edit, misremembered!

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

If none of the above work/appeal, one of the more unusual uses of WD40 is removing stubborn stickers on all sorts of bases.  You would need to spray between the vinyl and the sign so it would likely be a long slow process but might still be worth a try.