4472 Flying Scotsman 5"

greenglade

I've finally got around to doing a small update which covers the brake beams. I'm going to try something different with my updates and that is to perhaps just post a picture to show that it's new and then the link to the particular update involved rather than writing it all up here. The reason is it will save me hours of time when posting to the 4 media outlets that I log the details at, 5 now if including the blog.

Alas, it's not a simple case of just copy/paste, if it was then doing it to the 5 wouldn't be an issue but each forum/media outlet has its own system which doesn't allow me to just copy/paste.
I'm happy to hear any/all views on this, positive or negative...I find the blog much easier to navigate through if looking to find any particular subject and also much easier to see with clearer text and pictures. Individual sections are very easy to see what's going on, it also includes sub-sections which I couldn't post here as they would just get lost in the 'annals of time' .

spacer.png

Blog;   http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/brakes-part-2/

Pete

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.. my apologies for lack of updates, still not been able to do much during the lockdown, hope to do some more on 4472 soon. In the meantime, I have something for the blog news section. these parts which will form the cab fall-plate were laser cut for me by my son-in-law, Mike, thankyou...I'll cover how they go together later, lots of cutting and filing will be involved, that's for sure. The diamond pattern is prototypical as supplied by Adam (Cro fittings) I did the actual drawing for the fall plate in 'Inkscape'. Alas, the laser etcher wasn't big enough to etch the part-whole so a little lateral thought and slight redesign were required. I think it will look better, things will become clearer when I actually get around to cutting out and assembling the parts.

spacer.png

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/cab-fall-plate/

Pete

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all, I am now returning to the motion, to begin with, I'll concentrate on the conjugated 2:1 gear...after this I may finally get back to the cylinders and the valve bobbins which is basically all they require. We'll see what transpires, as some of you will know, I have a bad habit of deviating of course...

spacer.png

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/2-1-gear-lever-part-1/

Pete

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

On to the connecting links, after much head-scratching and discussion with fellow modellers of Gresley 2:1 conjugated loco's I have decided to change the fulcrum and 1:1 lever bronze bushes to sealed stainless (shielded) ball bearings, just like the full size. This will be covered in the next entry but I'm out of commission next week so it may be the week after before you see the fruits of my labour. In the meantime, here are the details on the connecting links, or should I say half the details, not finished yet but you can see what I've been up too.

spacer.png

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/gresley-conjugated-gear-valve-connecting-links-part-1/

Pete

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, tonight I have the second installment for the valve connecting links, I had hoped to conclude these parts in this update but there's still some work left to do. I must say thank you to Doug for his timely tips on the fulcrum pin, you'll see what I mean in the blog entry. Hope you find it of interest.

spacer.png

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/gresley-conjugated-gear-valve-connecting-links-part-2/

Pete

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Good day all... I have now assembled the 2:1 gear, there are a few small bits left to do. I need to plot and drill the holes for the retaining split-pins, Don states to use 3/64, I think that I'll go smaller with 1/32. I also need to finish drilling the oilways, these are very small at No.60 and I should have waited for a new drill bit to do these. The first one went without incident but alas I broke the drill on the second pin and I seem to have mislaid a pin too? No big deal, I'll wait until I have a new drill bit and tackle the job properly then. A big thank you to Eddie for describing how the middle cylinder link pin is secured on the prototype, I have done something similar for the model, details in the blog. There is also a new time-lapsed video showing the gear being assembled onto the model, well it is except for my big arm getting in the way, I must try harder next time, now that has a familiar tone to it, from perhaps 50 years ago...

spacer.png

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/gresley-conjugated-gear-valve-connecting-links-part-3/

Pete

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi guys... this isn't a new entry as such, just me adding to the last blog entry as it's too short to warrant an entry of its own and I think that these details need to be included. I guess the next job on the list is the cylinder valve spindles, bobbins and valve crossheads, that should keep me busy for a while..
spacer.png

Please check the previous link posted for details.

Pete

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys... a change in plan re 'paint' finish...As can be seen, by the two accompanying photos, I have painted the running boards in the 90% gloss finish, well you can see the splashers, everything else had been boxed up to protect from dust and await hardening before I tackled the removal of any blemishes... However, the amount of gloss had been bothering me as it's just too shiny to how I see 4472 during the late '30s, or for that matter at any time in her long career. This morning I have been looking through all of my reference images from the '20s/30's and also during preservation and none look as gloss as the picture shows here. Now I know that yes full gloss is the finish applied but you have to be very careful when applying it to a model or you end up with what looks like a 'toy'. Even the close-up photos that I took of her at York in 2016 show a satin finish, yes I know it began life as a full gloss but it soon dulls down and it's that 'patina' which I believe my model needs to look right. Therefore, in due course when I sand down the parts to remove any dust/debris from under the paint I am going to give them a light coating of satin which is at 70% gloss level. Not an easy decision to make but each time that I look at that gloss I know that in my head it will always look wrong, or should I say, wrong for a model of this scale.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In other news, some of you may have noticed that my blog has been offline for the last 7/10 days, this is due to the server still playing up. Hopefully early this week normal viewing shall return as the blog is migrated over to new hardware, sorry for the inconvenience to those who have been using it as a visual guide to their own builds. Pete

Ah, forgot to add, I'm not counting her high gloss finish as applied for Wembley 1924/25...

Edit: I'll get back on to the spindles/valves soon

• Like 2

It is your locomotive, But i always think the Locos that i see at exhibitions that are painted in Gloss, Look wrong in my opinion.

So i think you are right to tone it down a bit. 70 % sounds a good idea to me.

• Like 2

good afternoon all, sorry for lack of content of late, I was away in Cornwall for a while and now in the middle of some DIY. However, I have found time for 4472 and continuing with my recent post, I have now taken care of that paintwork which has bugged me for so long. well bugged me twice, first the bad finish and then recently the too high level of gloss... I think that I've sorted it now, well, sorted in my mind that is, I like the new finish and think it will look just right on the finished model.
Here's the latest blog entry to show what I mean.

spacer.png

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/repaint-of-running-boards-etc/

Pete

• Like 4

Morning all, today's blog entry has just been posted and no it's still not the spindles/bobbins...:) I decided that since I had corrected the running board paintwork I may as well get the smokebox out of the way too. This involved a lot more work than just a new coat of paint, details within...

spacer.png

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/completion-of-petticoat-pipe-and-repaint-of-the-smokebox/

Pete

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Evening all, at last, I have made a start on the spindles/valves, as explained in the blog entry I'll be following Jim Ewins lead on the bobbin design although the bobbin itself will be using different materials, the bobbin will be covered in part 2, here's part 1 to begin with...

spacer.png

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/spindles-and-valves-part-1/

Pete

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...