4472 Flying Scotsman 5"

greenglade

Today's blog update covers the draincock and relief valve assemblies, lots of fiddly work in this one. I have some finishing touches still to do but I'll take care of those on the final assembly after I have painted the cylinders and fitted them to the frames.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/draincocks-and-relief-valves/

Pete

20201013_130417.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I am now very close to fitting the cylinders to the frames, I'll go over everything this weekend and unless I can think of a reason 'why not' the next blog entry will have the cylinders properly fitted where they belong. For this blog entry, I cover the main steam pipe flanges, painting the cylinders and checking access for removal of pistons and valves without removing the cylinders from the frames.

20201015_113520.jpg

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/cylinders-painted-cladding-fabricated-main-steam-pipe-flanges-made-and-final-checks-before-fitting-to-the-frames/

Pete

Edited by greenglade
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Evening all, here's part 1 of the blog entry covering the draincock fitting. The second part which will cover the outside cylinders should be ready by end of next week. I have included another video showing the Bowden cable route and working.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/draincock-linkage-part-1/

Pete

20201022_115600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Will this all be tested before steaming Pete, can it be done with compressed air, or is it not required?

Yes.... once I have finished the motion I will then need to mark the lengths for the piston rods and valve spindles, cut them to size and then pin them to their respective crossheads... once that is done it's over to valve timing and I'll probably make the reverser and linkage too before trying her on air. Oh, nearly forgot, I'll also need to make the lubricators and their associated linkages and oil piping..... lot's still to do....I hope to get her running on air at some point next year...might be a tall task but we shall see...

regards

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In tonight's blog update I have worked out the draincock linkage and tested it for the L/H side, I'll finish the R/H side tomorrow, it will just be a mirror of the left so I have no doubts that it will work just as well. Lot's of other bits and pieces done too, details within.

There's another video on this one too..

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/cylinders-fitted-draincocks-completed-draincock-linkage-fabricated-fitted-and-tested/

Pete

20201101_151206.jpg

20201101_151206 - Copy.jpg

Edited by greenglade
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, greenglade said:

hmm.. sorry guys, I have no idea why the picture is upside down?, it's only done that on this forum? If anyone can tell me how to correct it i shall...

cheers

Pete

If you took these photos on an Iphone, then find the edit button. Once you have found the button, click on it, and you should see some sort of square like thing (bottom right corner or thereabouts) , which will enable you to crop the image. This should fix it, I have the same problem. Anyways 4472 is looking very nice sir!

Douglas

Hi Douglas

Thanks for the input, yes it was taken on my phone but I don't think that's the issue as I post to a number of forums + my blog using the same image and those are all fine. It's just something to do with this forum and to be honest I don't have time to edit each to ensure all are the right way up, but as I say, the others are all fine.

Regards

Pete

• Friendly/supportive 1

Not a blog update as such, I'll add this picture to the last update where it belongs but show it here so it's not missed by you guys.

I have now fabricated the R/H draincock linkage and made the drop pipes, I'll shorten these a little later to be closer to the prototype, the nuts are a little large which adds to the oversized look so I'll also shorten these. I'm pleased with how they look compared to full size, you'll note that I have only placed one relief valve roughly in position for effect. I'll leave these off until final assembly as they can't be fitted until the cladding is in place. I may also thin down the main link between the two draincocks to be closer to scale, if so I'll only do this on the outside cylinders, the middle was deliberately made larger as it's not as easily accessible once the model is completed and can't be seen.
I am also going to add ferrules to the cab end of the Bowden cable (the front is already held by ferrules) to remove the possibility of the cable slipping while operating all three of the cylinder draincocks, this is something that I noted during setting up and ironing out restricted areas until it operated smoothly, better safe than sorry. On this note, I changed one of the cables as it had become a little frayed on the cab end, this was a worthwhile exercise as it proved that the cables can be easily changed in service.
So on final assembly, the cables will be set and held by the two 10 BA bolts and then have ferrules attached to ensure the cables can't slip. I won't do this yet as the cab needs to be removed again which means disassembling the handle which may change the tautness of the cables, so this will be another of those many final jobs to be done. A picture to show how things are looking....

Oh and just to add that the chassis is now sitting level...

Pete

edit: sorry guys but I have tried to get the image the correct way up, it will be on my blog shortly20201104_174618.jpg.4dad453c79c7fc0e1160907ad1994847.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys, I have tried a few things including rotating the image 180 on my pc and then uploading it to see if that worked. Alas not...as mentioned it's only happened on this forum and even then only recently, so I think it needs to be fixed this end rather than mine.

Thanka all

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Do a screen grab of the photo, paste it into MS Paint, Rotate 180 degrees, CTRL-A to select all, CTRL-C to copy all, CTRL-V it into the RMWeb Submit Reply editing box, press "Submit Reply".

It's rough, and you can lose a lot of bits/pixels/resolution but it's ok for an image or two.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, greenglade said:

ok.. so I tried Kev's suggestion which didn't work, I then used 'paint' again but this time didn't rotate the image, just saved it as is, this seems to have worked?

Pete

upright image.jpg

Ah, but did you start with a screen grab or did you load the original file?

Either way, well done. She looks much better.

(I've never noticed the Buffer Headstocks looking like that before!)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, greenglade said:

I used the original file Kev, seemed a logical way of doing it to my none IT mind...:)

re 'buffer stocks, in which context Kev?

Pete

image.png.bbe92b4cdb9e517ca499536e19c7debf.png

Kev

ah.. yes this is close to Don's drawing although I later rounded the edges a little to get closer to the original. If you look as FS today she has two different buffer stocks fitted, one I assume may be original and the other a later BR design which is closer to Don's drawing. As I said, I rounded the edges off to get closer to the original although not 'spot on'. I had already made the stocks and don't plan to do them again, I have enough work to do as it is...:)

Pete

• Like 1

A little something in the pipeline, that well-known fellow Model Engineer and cohort in doing the CAD work for me John Baguley (baggo) has been busy drawing up the reverser stand for me... Drawing is now at Malcolm's for cutting and I have printed off some PDF files that John kindly sent me to check that all was good. You can see for yourselves how well the parts fit. When cut in steel there will be different thicknesses involved as per Don's. When comparing to full size the height looks just right. It will be a while before you see this assembled in steel but this should at least give a taste of what's to come, you may recall, that I already have the brass etch for the cut-off indicator which will be fully functional. In other news, the cylinder relief valves are nearly complete, in fact, I'm going to spend this evening in front of the TV doing the final filing/polishing of the parts ready for assembly. All being well, beginning of next week I'll post the latest blog update covering both their fabrication and hopefully their successful testing/setting too... fingers crossed...
To conclude, a big thank you to John for his excellent work.

Pete

20201114_170918.jpg

• Like 2

Hi guys

The latest blog entry covers the cylinder relief valves and them being set at 110 PSi.. 10% above boiler working pressure. I have recorded another video which I think maybe a bit long-winded while I played around getting the first valve set but at least it shows what was involved. The other 5 valves were done very quickly. I will tidy up the front adjusting screws later, I may even change a few cosmetics but for now, the valves work which was the important thing for this particular exercise.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/cylinder-relief-valves/

20201119_172239.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Great to see this grand project is still moving forward . Despite the craziness going on in the world atm . I`m following along since i discovered this forum . Now got a link to the blog and the modeleng proboard . Used it a lot as a resource . Not sure if you remember . I had a mad plan to model  FS in 3D . And hopefully animate at a later date . Well . After trying several different software packages . I`m teaching myself the educational version of Fusion 360 . Just took a screen grab of my efforts so far . Be interested in any thoughts and input . I don`t want to distract this thread , but this is where it all started  . As i progress i`ll start a separate thread and see how it goes .

2020-11-23.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boggit said:

Great to see this grand project is still moving forward . Despite the craziness going on in the world atm . I`m following along since i discovered this forum . Now got a link to the blog and the modeleng proboard . Used it a lot as a resource . Not sure if you remember . I had a mad plan to model  FS in 3D . And hopefully animate at a later date . Well . After trying several different software packages . I`m teaching myself the educational version of Fusion 360 . Just took a screen grab of my efforts so far . Be interested in any thoughts and input . I don`t want to distract this thread , but this is where it all started  . As i progress i`ll start a separate thread and see how it goes .

2020-11-23.png

Excellent work, looks spot on so far, I can easily identify the individual components, it's like looking at a 3D model of my own....:)

Which era are you modelling? there are subtle differences...so far your's is the same as FS when an A1. The A3 is slightly different, an extra stretcher like the horizontal stretcher below the middle motion bracket being one that sits higher. Also IIRC FS has a different star stay configuration today, might be that the star itself sits above the boiler stay rather than below, ie swapped around, I'd have to dig out my reference to be sure.

Your 3D model truly looks superb...well done..

Pete