4472 Flying Scotsman 5"

greenglade

Good afternoon folks, my apologies for lack of blog updates over the last few weeks. As mentioned my mill decided to throw a wobbly which slowed things down somewhat. Luckily it didn't cost money to fix, just stripping down the spindle, repack with grease and tightening the taper bearing collars. This blog entry covers the completion of the outside connecting rods, well accept some final bits which are detailed in the blog. The updates may be less regular for a short while as I'm going to be giving my classic car some much needed TLC, it won't stop the updates but will mean my time is split for a while.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/outside-connecting-rods-part-2-completion/

Pete

20210318_121154.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

good day all

A couple of quick videos to share with you guys...rolling test after fitting the outside rods (tolerances are crazily close in some areas) and a short overview video. I'll do a proper 'walkaround' video describing the various oiling points and fine details soon.

Pete

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

Evening chaps, this is the more detailed 'walk around' video that I promised last time around... please forgive the few errors such as calling Wakefield lubricators, 'Westfield'...:)

Pete

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

I've been a little busy of late working on the car and thus not much to show with this build but there are some things happening in the background and one such thing is the rolling road. I have now put the details on the blog, a big thank you to ED at Model engineers Laser for his superb kit. The car still has a way to go but I hope to post a proper update soon, I just find it difficult these days to concentrate on more than one thing at a time...lol
Anyway, here's the RR details

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/rolling-road/

1236534667_FlyingScotsmanchassis.jpg.7b1e8a7b0a7c424251ccf2685d9cb842.jpg

Edited by greenglade
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, greenglade said:

Sorry Terry

I've given up trying to get images the right way up on this forum...:)

Pete

That is all right I had my 2nd covid jab today and I feel a little happer than normal.

Try holding the camera the othe way up, or the phone. But I have sorted the image for you and sent to you.

Terry

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon everyone... first of all my sincere apologies for not publishing a new blog entry since mid-May. Some of you will be aware that my health took a bit of a dive in May and alas hasn't improved much since, going by my time spent in Cardiology it's not likely to get much better either. So I was forced to take a step back with light duties only, I am feeling a little stronger but not much and therefore am trying to get back into the build slowly. To do this I chose some light machining, to begin with, and the rod/slidebar oil pots seemed to fit the bill.
So here we are, first blog entry in nearly 8 weeks..

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/rod-and-slidebar-oiling-pots/

Pete

20210706_131442.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Yes Agree with the above, Health is far more important, Look after your self, I did wonder why you were going Gauge 1,, You will be hooked on that gauge, You get the same engineering fix, but get a build done quick, and no heavy lifting. all the best.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning all.. I'm back in the workshop and trying to get on. One thing that has been in the back of my mind in recent months is how well the loco rolls, yes everything is tight and intentionally so but I was a little concerned by how much force I needed to put on the chassis to keep the wheels turning, you may recall my previous video a few months ago showing this. So to get back into the swing of things I did what I had been meaning to at the time and that was to place the boiler on the chassis and test again.
I have a picture and a video to share, the picture shows how much the rear of the model was being lifted at the rear, not so obvious when sitting on rails but very much so when sitting on the wheel flanges. The picture only shows the rear driver but in fact, both the rear and middle drivers were clear of the bench. Now to some extent I was aware of this as I had left the trailing axle springing at what I guessed might be right for when the model is finished, admittedly I hadn't realised it was going to be this bad once the 3 cylinders had been fitted at the front end?
I, therefore, today placed the boiler on the chassis and asked my good lady to help film, I must first explain my impressive weight gain, alas right now there's not much that I can do about it, any form of exercise is unwise and strictly advised against in my current state of health, Anyway, enough of my crap, the video hopefully shows that 4472 does roll very nicely thank you...:)

https://i.imgur.com/7VECTgt.mp4

Pete

chassis sitting on flange.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Evening all... yes I have a proper update, I must be feeling better...
this entry covers the fitting of those lovely spun stainless covers that 360spin spun for me. well those and some other important parts,

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/final-fitting-of-pistons-dummy-cotter-joints-cylinder-covers-front-relief-valves-and-stainless-cover-plates-trimmed-and-fitted/

Pete

20210717_191938.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Tim

Not in so much as 'shine', the prototype was burnished steel so they are about right for colour and shine. The photo highlights marks but these are very difficult to see in the flesh...the macro on the camera can be very cruel and exagerates things a lot.....:)  There will be hundreds of small jobs to do on completion, if the covers stand out I'll address them then.

Kind regards

Pete

• Like 2

Yes...I bought an all singing, all dancing Samsung 21 Ultra...the macro ability is crazy not that I used it here. They say the camera never lies....as an ex  TV/Film man I know this is not true....:)

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone, tonight's blog entry shows the 2:1 gear temporarily assembled to the frames. Lot's more to do here and only a few of the securing nuts have been fitted but it's good to test fit these parts. Forgive the mess as things are getting very dusty and I have been using the macro lens, a bad idea.... I am hoping to get the model to the club weekend after next for one of the regular annual meets which haven't been allowed since covid so for the next week I'm going to try and reassemble the model and spruce it up a little, trust me, it needs it.

http://4472flyingscotsman.co.uk/valves-spindles-cross-drilled-to-fit-valve-crossheads-valve-guides-painted-and-temporarily-fitted/

Pete

20210728_173158 (1).jpg

• Like 4

good evening all.... as mentioned last week I'm hoping to put the model on static display at my club this coming weekend. to do this involves a fair bit of work in not only making the model more presentable but also the time in putting everything back together. As these stages will probably be of more interest than some of the other recent updates I'll post pictures as she comes back together. two for tonight, as can be seen the running boards are back and I have to say the new coat of paint is a massive improvement to last time. I have painted the splashers Doncaster green but alas won't be able to line them before the weekend. i was planning on attaching the brass trim which I'd do before the lining anyway as they give a good guide for the lining. Unfortunately, at the time of discovering that 4472 still had her brass trim in 1938, I ordered extra laser-cut trim without paying much attention to how the parts were to be assembled. The trim fits under the outer shell and thus is not wide enough to use for the brass trim fitted over the inner trim. No big deal, I'll sort this in due course. I have fitted the splashers anyway. Tomorrow I have a hundred or so 10 BA bolts to fit and various other parts, I'll also take a look at the boiler and temporarily fitting the smokebox to it, note the saddle has already been fitted. The lining on the valance is a little heavy, I shall deal with that another time once it's fully cured. I'll hopefully post more pictures tomorrow.

Pete

20210802_173206.jpg

20210802_175741.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2