Wooferton

Richard E

• RMweb Premium

Right, the skew bridge started out as a laser cut kit from In The Greenwood. As bought it builds into a twin track overbridge.

image.png.5eb8d6bc0f7c4c08784ea15b556a69a9.png

In order to achieve what I wanted I narrowed the deck to a typical B road width and the piers to about 5mm or so wider between the sides so that the deck could be fitted at an angle. It's all been done by eye to get a reasonable angle on the skew whilst still using the original deck length.  A combination of precision paints and humbrol paints have then been used to colour the engineering brick abutments and produce a rather clean looking set of girder sides for the bridge.

The piers ended up looking like this after surgery.

IMG_0618.jpg.bd9d2df022d61d60920986e6e75fa0ad.jpg

I don't have a picture of the deck but I do have this shot of the bridge from another angle. Believe it or not the track actually turns through 90º just past the signal, from a normal viewing angle the only give away is a slight angle on long bogie vehicles as they exit/enter the curve but to all intents and purposes it looks as if the track continues south in pretty much a straight line. The platform is still undergoing construction here, the top surface needs a 'dirt' wash to take away the shine and make it look more like well used tarmac/paving. Some final finishing on the embankments is also in order.

IMG_0660.jpg.3265bb8fbd43161e484272098361a7f3.jpg

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2018 at 01:16, Methuselah said:

A few more snaps;-

1. Loco diversity I. This is a wartime snap of the GWR's loco shed at Worcester - with LNER locos far from their home metals.

2. An old hand-tinted photo of Tenbury Goods Yard, looking towards the town itself. Hard to date - but probably around 1900-ish.

3. Loco Diversity II. One of the ubiquitous LMS 4F's at the ex-LNWR/LMS shed at Leominster post-war.

post-32202-0-70358800-1536967027_thumb.jpg

post-32202-0-06827400-1536967268_thumb.jpg

post-32202-0-11339500-1536967366_thumb.jpg

Smashing photos! IIRC the J15s were on loan at Worcester covering for Dean Goods which were away on ROD duties. As for photo 3 .... struggling to see where that could be taken at Leominster

https://rbfh.org.uk/archives-leominster-station/

That was an S&D loco and has a tablet catcher fitted so more likely Bath perhaps?

Cheers

12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Smashing photos! IIRC the J15s were on loan at Worcester covering for Dean Goods which were away on ROD duties. As for photo 3 .... struggling to see where that could be taken at Leominster

https://rbfh.org.uk/archives-leominster-station/

That was an S&D loco and has a tablet catcher fitted so more likely Bath perhaps?

Cheers

High Phil,

TBH I was struggling to find  images of any older non GWR or BR locos in use in that area, and that 4F popped-up tagged as being at Leominster. I have seen other images of 4F's in Woofferton for example. I really wanted some older LNWR locos working the area, but as this area was out in the wilds, it didn't get photographed so much in the distant past it seems. Some location images are also hard to find. There are quite a lot of images of Woofferton on this FaceBook. Go onto FaceBook and look-up 'Tenbury Wells Branch Line'. There are over 100 Members now - and many are off the SVR, so there is a little cross-fertilisation of information.

There are images there of many parts of Woofferton, including parts of Ballast Hole sidings and the hidden bridge/tunnel.

18 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

My ex's Uncle is Rev Selwyn Frost - fireman at Kidderminster in the 50s, subsequently took the cloth and was quoted in one of the books - might be the Tenbury and Bewdley Railway - as despite being on the footplate of the last train he was unable to save the line....

My own memories are of a Pannier and coaches taking the level crossing in front of us at Little Hereford and of the line after closure being full of redundant wagons around Newnham Bridge. Tony Barfield's Kidderminster footplate books - When there was Steam, Panneirs and Praries -  are very readable if you havent seen them....

Wooferton has always looked attractive to me with modelling potential - really enjoyed this thread, looking forwards to further progress.

Phil,

I'm also building a model of Woofferton and part of the Tenbury Branch as far as Tenbury, but although I have been collecting together all the stuff I need, I have still to finish building/converting some outbuildings for the model railway. I've been collecting images and maps etc, but the further one goes back in time, the harder it gets to find the very few images that survive. I'm setting the infrastructure around the Great War period, when the main line was still LNWR signalled I think. I have read both of the Tony Barfield books, but I'd be very interested to hear what Selwyn Frost has to recall about the Tenbury Branch. Some features of that branch are missing in terms of photos. The iron bridge over the Teme near Little Hereford the Level-Crossing at Little Hereford, the West Box and especially the Turntable at Tenbury. I have a Blog on RM here, but I haven't posted for some time  as I have been stalled on the building works for various reasons. I should get this built this year however - and maybe some shizzle worth posting.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Methuselah said:

Phil,

I'm also building a model of Woofferton and part of the Tenbury Branch as far as Tenbury, but although I have been collecting together all the stuff I need, I have still to finish building/converting some outbuildings for the model railway. I've been collecting images and maps etc, but the further one goes back in time, the harder it gets to find the very few images that survive. I'm setting the infrastructure around the Great War period, when the main line was still LNWR signalled I think. I have read both of the Tony Barfield books, but I'd be very interested to hear what Selwyn Frost has to recall about the Tenbury Branch. Some features of that branch are missing in terms of photos. The iron bridge over the Teme near Little Hereford the Level-Crossing at Little Hereford, the West Box and especially the Turntable at Tenbury. I have a Blog on RM here, but I haven't posted for some time  as I have been stalled on the building works for various reasons. I should get this built this year however - and maybe some shizzle worth posting.

There is a Facebook group on the line and those you have mentioned appear to be holy grails of things that as yet do not appear to have a photographic record. Who knows, maybe one day they will be found

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Methuselah said:

Wow - those are fantastic Peter....is the LNWR loco entering Berrington & Eye...?

Yes that's Berrington and Eye.  The loco could be stationery as the platforms were offset and the down side was extended under the bridge

• Like 1