RMWeb users BRM needs YOU!

Ruth1971

• RMweb Gold

I am not a subscriber, but a series of "how to" articles might just make me sign up. Resurrecting something like the Right Track DVD topics into instalments that could run over several months would be a good way to keep subscribers engaged and coming back for more. For example, building loco chassis, coaches, wagons, painting and weathering, building track, buildings, scenery, etc.....

The digital format is ideal for these tutorials, the printed article is nowhere near as good a medium for conveying these skills.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

I'm with most here, improving the delivery and searching would be better. It still bugs me that the extra pictures are of a lower quality than the main magazine. Why not just put all the photos full screen in the magazine?

I've got four something years of issues, so if I want to re-read I can.

This may be not quite be the answer you were looking for, but I believe this is potential advantage of an online magazine which is not currently being exploited.

There may be that article about detail or livery differences withing a particular class I remembered reading several months, or was it years ago & it is probably in that pile over there....somewhere.. A searchable archive index would tell me exactly where to find it.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. We can all remember reading an excellent article on a particular subject or project that we thought "I must do that one day" but trying to find the article in large pile of magazines is impractical. A search engine linked to a database of articles should be able to help you pinpoint it in seconds. A good example is THe Times. If you're a digital subscriber, you have access to the full archive of the newspaper going back a good century or so. You can find articles on steam speed records from the thirties in seconds. It's really most impressive. I appreciate that BRM's resources may not be those of the Times but it serves to illustrate the point as to what can be achieved.

Of course, the obvious drawback to the user (I'm fully aware that compiling such a database and search engine is a major task for the publisher) is that when you search for, eg conversion of airfix castle to star or whatever, the search engine inevitably throws up other results that distract you and lead you down a whole new line of enquiry!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did you do the Cliffhanger layout?

Would love to see more of that, I thought that was such a cracking layout!

Also as lots of people have said "how to's"

Layout lighting would be a good one, what types of lamps to use; towards the front or back of the layout, a mix of both etc

A video on that showing the effects I think would be very useful.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

Hi

Thanks for asking for input. Currently I am not a subscriber digital or otherwise to BRM. I do buy the occasional paper copy when there is an article I want to read. What would tempt me to buy???

Additional video content - not just how to's, but video reviews of new models the buyer can see the model in service.

- how about video footage from model railway events - showing layouts that were there + any new model announcements?

- a step by step series showing an exhibition standard layout being built. That would be the ultimate "how to".

Guides to operating a layout e.g.- realistic train formations / timetabling / appropriate freight services etc.

Maybe the in depth features where the magazine articles interviews someone from within the hobby could be extended (I am thinking expanding the features on White Rose Modelworke etc with video content).

Apologies if any of these are already done.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Andy's not wrong about the legends. Some really special modellers that I'm certainly in awe of.

However, to take this back to Ruth's original point - imagine you are a new reader to BRM, there are lots of those, and you don't have a ton of back-issues sat in your man-cave.

What we are asking, is which articles from the past three years would be useful for that newbie to read?

If you have read them already and found the content useful then tell us. Maybe a repeat in the digi edition won't help you, but it might help them.

And if it helps them, they might get more out of their modelling and stay in the hobby and that's what we all want. Who knows, with your help we might even inspire some legends of the future...

• RMweb Gold

I'd be honoured for any of the articles I've produced over the years to be re-run. 

• Loco Servicing
  • Summat Colliery
  • Fourgig East
  • Track Cleaning
  • DCC Sound fitting (including Austerity Tank Engine)
  • Rebuilt 9F Crosti using Golden Arrow resin kit

There also was an article I wrote about using a laptop cooler box as a custom storage box for the wagon stock on Summat Colliery. That never made it to print as it fell between editors changing I think. Might be useful to some?

P1180829.JPG.e5e54c498791a3b3cab6f1d55739efff.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 4

I'd be honoured for any of the articles I've produced over the years to be re-run. 

• Loco Servicing
  • Summat Colliery
  • Fourgig East
  • Track Cleaning
There also was an article I wrote about using a laptop cooler box as a custom storage box for the wagon stock on Summat Colliery. That never made it to print as it fell between editors changing I think. Might be useful to some?

It is funny you have just posted this Ian, I was just about to post that your loco maintenance article would be perfect for a repeat run.

• Like 1

Andy's not wrong about the legends. Some really special modellers that I'm certainly in awe of.

However, to take this back to Ruth's original point - imagine you are a new reader to BRM, there are lots of those, and you don't have a ton of back-issues sat in your man-cave.

What we are asking, is which articles from the past three years would be useful for that newbie to read?

If you have read them already and found the content useful then tell us. Maybe a repeat in the digi edition won't help you, but it might help them.

And if it helps them, they might get more out of their modelling and stay in the hobby and that's what we all want. Who knows, with your help we might even inspire some legends of the future...

If I were a new reader, following a layout I could build from start to finish would be fantastic, from planning, baseboard building, tracklaying, scenery, stock, Dcc or Dc? Weathering and operation. here has been a lot of articles covering that in the last 3 years but your own Ruston Quays would be a fine example. But if it's about getting people to try or move to digital editions, for me video stuff would be important as just to read some text and see pictures I prefer a paper magazine I can pick up, leave open and come back to where as Videos would appeal to me more as you can watch something actually creating something. 

I recently subscribed to another well know Railway modelling magazine and a years  digital editions came free with it but all they are the paper magazine in PDF format, there's nothing to inspire me to go digital. 

Just been looking through the Jan 2018 issue and the Disdbury Green project would be a perfect candidate for a video 'how to' It looks good and achievable, hopefully see it at Alexander Palace.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

• Moderators

• Loco Servicing
  • Summat Colliery
  • Fourgig East
  • Track Cleaning

attachicon.gifP1180829.JPG

Hello Ian, you might be surprised to read the Inbox section of the Feb issue which went to press last week then... :)

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian, you might be surprised to read the Inbox section of the Feb issue which went to press last week then... :)

Inbox section? is that new?

EDIT: ok found it in January issue, not in the index though ;)

Edited by RedgateModels