OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

And the tanner!  You could justifiably argue that the florin is still in existence as the 10p coin.  And ha'pennies with ships on them!

And 12 sided (?) thrupences!

Don't forget the half crown, the largest  pre decimal coin

Dave

You could justifiably argue that the florin is still in existence as the 10p coin.  

We haven't been able to use florins (and shillings), along with their identically-sized replacement decimal coins, since they were all 'downsized' in 1990 with the toy tiddlers we have now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Crown? Twice the weight.

By my time not in general circulation though still legal tender, restricted to commemorative issues.  I've still got my 1966 Winston Churchill one somewhere, but I have no idea where...

• RMweb Gold

By my time not in general circulation though still legal tender, restricted to commemorative issues.  I've still got my 1966 Winston Churchill one somewhere, but I have no idea where...

Things we lose.....love to know where my 1953 Coronation "five bob" piece is too.

• RMweb Gold

So tonight I just resurrected a Bachmann Manor, by swapping the wheel sets, plus connecting rods from my mainline 43xx, (i did keep one side of the rod going to the slide bar as it has that extra thingy on it.. in my best technical speak and swap the gear axles)... I now have a manor with traction tyres :-) as well as non-split axles from that 43xx.

Assuming the Bachmann Manor and 93xx are so correctly tooled that the wheelbase is the same, as is the wheels and rods ( only the cylinders were a different size).. then thats not a big jump from the 61xx/43xx to a Manor.. just a body, pair of cylinders and a front bogie...

My moneys on a Dapol Manor following through.post-20773-0-21133200-1516669270_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Could well be although Ben Brooksbank is not above minor errors in captions (although they are very rarely errors of location and tend to be confusion between Up & Down or precise spot at a station etc -  I have corrected a number for him and he is very good at updating when corrections are received).

Thanks to some info from Malcolm Mitchell, I think I've been able to confirm the detail of the brake and scoop wayshafts underneath the front of the Mogul 3500g tender, which has been notified to Dapol. I understand Richard at Dapol is getting close to a revised version of the Mogul CAD.

• Like 1

That's a nice collection of photos. You can't have too many when something as important as this is happening. More the merrier, I'd say.

Ian.

Best not to rely on photos of a preserved example.  Unfortunately since 5322 was 'backdated' at its last overhaul it has been a bit of a mongrel. The idea was to portray the loco in 'as built' condition so the cab roof, cab front, buffers and chimney were all changed. However it still retains the outside steam pipe cylinders which were fitted by B.R. (1951 IIRC) although I think the original intention was to replace them.

FWIW the G.W.R. always referred to the vacuum pump as an "air pump".

Ray.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A bit late to the fair but, speaking as a 4mm returnee, I look forward to purchasing the Mogul and Large Prairie. Coincidentally, the 0 gauge variants where what made 7mm so attractive to me. No doubt a lot of GWR and Cambrian cross country line modellers will well glad of the Mogul. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Two things to chuck in here. One is the fixed wheelbase on a locomotive. The 80000 series tanks had a significant fixed wheelbase, to the point where the left leading driver is trying to butt up against the right trailing driver. Compound that against a reverse curve, and you are liable with only one set of drivers actually doing the work.

The second is wheel tyre profile. I'm pretty sure somewhere that Western locomotive tyres had a different profile. This was pretty much discontinued by the early sixties, when Swindon & others went over to the more recognised BR Engineering profiles. Tysley was a well-known black spot. Western locomotives never had a problem, but the Midland locos were always coming unstuck.

Ian.

Interesting that you say Tyseley was a blackspot as it was one of the few locations for wheel-turning in middle-England and was always attracting 'foreign' locos - I remember my older brother coming home from school (conveniently opposite the running shed) and dragging me back over there to see a Clan which had arrived for just that reason. Another time a Great Central Brit was returned by way of the local New Street-Rugby local!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that you say Tyseley was a blackspot as it was one of the few locations for wheel-turning in middle-England and was always attracting 'foreign' locos - I remember my older brother coming home from school (conveniently opposite the running shed) and dragging me back over there to see a Clan which had arrived for just that reason. Another time a Great Central Brit was returned by way of the local New Street-Rugby local!

There used to be a reverse curve from the carriage exit roads, onto the main line. Colin Jacks made mention in his books. I'd guess going in & out light engine is not too much bother, but put a load on, and it's sometimes a different matter. I need to check, but I'm pretty sure that the different regions had varying tyre profiles, which finally became a unified profile.

Cheers,

Ian.