OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

Dapol hasn't mentioned doing anything other than a 5101/6100 as yet on the Dapol Digest. From the Open Day graphic above, it looks like Dapol is currently confining itself to the Standard 2 boiler locos. Note the square front frame in the graphic, indicating a 5100 class, albeit a late rebuild with low cab. It's not clear what Dapol mean by "allows for the earlier 3100".

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Les1952 said:

From Today's open day - as far as I can remember.

On the 2-6-020190921_105245.jpg.8222d6e84bc7a56b41b711e3a07f44fc.jpg

The slide from the presentation.  I hope I'm not breaking copyright with this pic.  Most of the delays on recent projects have been down to electronics- getting this board that sits inside the loco to actually work has taken time, and things are running about three months (someone might have a corrected number) delay to an awful lot of recent projects.  Note (from me) that the N-Gauge Society Hunslet diesel has also been held up by electronics- in their case German - so holdups are not limited to Dapol and China.

The first loco with this new board is the O-gauge 14xx which could well be here in time for Warley (I specifically asked Andy about this time frame). Andy demonstrated how easy it is to fit a decoder and sugar cube speaker to the board- no soldering, they clip or plug in and the board slides in and out on a track.

IMG_2726.JPG.a5cf585bf08ee9986d1bb32f6445a18e.JPG

The EP of the mogul was running but was a little too fast for my camera to cope with in the available light.

20190921_105346.jpg.264582015b7d7b5938eb716c9d4fb003.jpg

The screen from the presentation.  The Prairie is starting tooling. 

Note that they are intending to do the 3100, 5100 and 8100 prairies and these will be designed into the tooling.  The comment was that it will be much more advanced technically than competing models and is thus very much worth doing.

Others might have caught more detail than I did- my pen failed which is why I resorted to the phone camera and memory. 

Les

Thanks for posting this update as we were all pretty much left in the dark as to what was going on, by the sounds of it there will be plenty of light at the end of the tunnel. I am really happy to hear of the prospect of an 81xx on the horizon, I had originally preordered a 51xx but cancelled as my main interest is Mid Wales and Cambrian Coast lines, a 51xx would be slightly out of place roaming that territory but an 81xx on the other hand would be well and truly on home turf.

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

So no large Prairies went west at Dovey Junction?

Extract from Oswestry District WTT Summer 1959

1327724446_cambrianRA.JPG.8ecdc907e4ec387a8302f82abba277b7.JPG

Barmouth and Old Chapel viaducts were also restricted to 10mph for 'Blue' engines in the speed restrictions table.

Further on we find 

cambrian2.JPG.24fb0da879fc086f9df7119ea49f0801.JPG

This means that a Large Prairie could get to Barmouth from Barmouth Junction which is confirmed by the tables in the Chester District WTT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hope this is OK, please delete if not. Copied from Didcot Railway Centre Facebook page.  Thought might be interesting for some Eastern Region modellers of the early days of British Railways.

26 September 1949, two 61XX class locomotives were transferred from the Western to the Eastern Region of British Railways. Numbers 6129 and 6166 were reallocated to the stock of Neasden shed (34E). They worked London Marylebone to Aylesbury and Princes Risborough trains and were outstationed at Aylesbury for these duties. The Western Region got them back again in July 1951.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Brentor95 said:

Hope this is OK, please delete if not. Copied from Didcot Railway Centre Facebook page.  Thought might be interesting for some Eastern Region modellers of the early days of British Railways.

26 September 1949, two 61XX class locomotives were transferred from the Western to the Eastern Region of British Railways. Numbers 6129 and 6166 were reallocated to the stock of Neasden shed (34E). They worked London Marylebone to Aylesbury and Princes Risborough trains and were outstationed at Aylesbury for these duties. The Western Region got them back again in July 1951.

Purely a result of Regional boundary changes and responsibilities - I doubt if the engines moved their home shed.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Purely a result of Regional boundary changes and responsibilities - I doubt if the engines moved their home shed.

Both were OOC locos before being "re-allocated" to 34E Neasden when Aylesbury became attached to that main shed.

Later 6129 moved to Reading and 6166 to Tyseley

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Both were OOC locos before being "re-allocated" to 34E Neasden when Aylesbury became attached to that main shed.

Later 6129 moved to Reading and 6166 to Tyseley

And the stayed at Aylesbury all the time because it moved from being a sub of OOC to being a sub of Neasden.  The last time I did Aylesbury shed (on a Sunday afternoon) there were three engines there - one ex LNER, one ex LMS, and one ex GWR (a 14XX) definitely a place for variety ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/09/2019 at 19:06, TheSignalEngineer said:

Extract from Oswestry District WTT Summer 1959

1327724446_cambrianRA.JPG.8ecdc907e4ec387a8302f82abba277b7.JPG

Barmouth and Old Chapel viaducts were also restricted to 10mph for 'Blue' engines in the speed restrictions table.

Further on we find 

cambrian2.JPG.24fb0da879fc086f9df7119ea49f0801.JPG

This means that a Large Prairie could get to Barmouth from Barmouth Junction which is confirmed by the tables in the Chester District WTT.

The interesting thing about that is it mentions the 3 cylinder Stanier 2-6-4Ts. I wonder whether they were planning on transferring them from the LT&SR at the same time as the BR 4MTs?

Jason

adb968008 - thanks for Mogul pics. Did you get any side-on views?  I accept that was probably difficult given the arrangement within the glass case.

Or maybe someone else can get a side-on view tomorrow. (There is still a questionmark about the slide bar and conn rod lengths.)

2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

adb968008 - thanks for Mogul pics. Did you get any side-on views?  I accept that was probably difficult given the arrangement within the glass case.

Or maybe someone else can get a side-on view tomorrow. (There is still a questionmark about the slide bar and conn rod lengths.)

Best I could do today Miss Prism.

72210332_10162667503890002_5871889157478940672_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Garethp8873 said:

Best I could do today Miss Prism.

Close, Gareth, but I need a straight-on side view, preferably with the conn rod at 6, 9 or 12 'o' clock.

Btw, is the lined green one '6384'? And has anyone seen a prototype pic of 6384 in lined green?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Close, Gareth, but I need a straight-on side view, preferably with the conn rod at 6, 9 or 12 'o' clock.

I'll have a go tomorrow Miss P.;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Dapol will twig that there's somethign funny going on tomorrow when loads of people turn up and try to take the same photo?

If we take enough photos from different angles we could stitch together a 3d model of their model using photogrammetry! :wink_mini:

• Funny 1