OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

20 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Are they still talking about producing the Priaries? Or have these been shelved?

Must admit you not looking at the a Dapol stand today at all.

It was mentioned. Same chassis with the rear pony truck added.

Sensibly Dapol have forged ahead with the mogul first

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It was mentioned. Same chassis with the rear pony truck added.

Sensibly Dapol have forged ahead with the mogul first

Seems a good move.

Once the Hornby model is out they can buy one and strip it down to work out what variants the tooling can't produce and go for those.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Somebody, somewhere, really thought about how a locomotive actually works. Not in fantasy land, but in real life. After all, no-one would normally know what the plank is for.  I've stayed away from owning tender locomotive models before, because in my world, it was mostly tank locomotive country. Now it seems, I'll need to find a way to add a mogul to the order. 

Nice one Dapol: The pictures here thus far have exceeded any initial expectations. I'll definitely be having one, based upon what I've seen. 

Polite discussion and detente appears to have worked. Just a few years ago, Dapol were on the point of getting out of model railways, due to a hostile market. Now, we're seeing things like this. The future is bright indeed. 

Have a great week Folks.

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Yes and they opened the cabinet for me to get a better look. Photos later.

Look forward to seeing them, Rob. The ones posted so far have me very tempted to buy one or two of these.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos 

1837B7C2-7B0B-4279-A0C1-918286D2CF17.jpeg.282c1be266e019fa0623e0fc302e897c.jpegA3B8B2A8-12BC-4EF5-92DD-1A8926B3B497.jpeg.80b48a460fb00212a514a3d05e3520e8.jpegA0FABCA5-10E0-4909-9B69-F6838CA39490.jpeg.19089a6a648becada06dddde827050ed.jpeg

I asked about the GWR example, suggesting they include two smoke box doors so it’s more useful to more people.   Their answer was a no, but spares will be available at a cost.   I suggest other post war GWR modellers get in touch and suggest the same, maybe they will see sense.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Doesn’t really come across in the photos but this model had a real finesse about it, some very fine moulding including commendably thin edges and to the cab sides and tender and top. Finish was first class. I’d say they are at least comparable to the best of Bachmann with no obvious ‘train set’ compromises. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks to the pic posters. Some of these are old EPs with the wrong smokeboxes. The conn rods are still about 3mm too long. I find it strange that no developments have been posted on the Dapol Digest for over 14 months.

Of course they are going to be old IEPs- to hold deco samples until the new tooling is done would add weeks or even months to the time it takes to get the finished model out to the punters so they can earn some money to get the next model started!

Les

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 7007GreatWestern said:

Oh Dear......I do hope that tender lining isn't going to be on the production models.....

Screenshot_2019-11-24_at_23_21_38.png

Hopefully not, but I'm sure there would have been a real one just like it somewhere out there- works paintshops were not always that good...….  Locos were occasionally turned out with different lining on the two sides of the tender.  Doncaster seemed particularly good at that but examples have been recorded from other works as well.  It has an unlined cab so it could have been done from a real one.  Someone needs to point it out to Dapol and ask the question before it gets into production.

Les

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've got three pics:

BR Versions (No flash)

596073538_DapolMogul1.jpg.8e957b7dfdefd3a96500cc6633f1ad0e.jpg

BR Versions with Flash

1289614052_DapolMogul1a.jpg.658b08d1c997e8264b6b2de5e70ca21d.jpg

GWR Versions with flash:

1387190859_DapolMogul2.jpg.23c6a878359cbc99eae05caa270fb5f3.jpg

Oh wow with the flash that colour looks just as bad as some of Hornbys GWR Green models! 

58 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Which shed painted the reversing rod red? Perhaps the lining on top of the flared tender side was a thing of their shed too?

Caerphilly was the culprit for the red reversing rods, but was instructed to cease the practice in November 1958.

Caerphilly was also fond of lining 3500g tender fenders, but it is not known whether other works did the same. Officially the lining of the fender on such tenders was discontinued in July 1957.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 7007GreatWestern said:

Dear tomparryharry,

So, do you reckon that livery on 6308 is actually correct? I'm happy to stand corrected especially if someone has a photo......

"Eric Mountford showed just this mistake in one of his photographs"

Yes, I'll certainly try to find that photo. It is contained within his book about Caerphilly Works. Sad to say that my books are well scattered about the house, with building & decorating work going on. Eric was a real gent, and an absolute mine of information. Both he, and Rufus Stephens (the chargehand painter at Caerphilly) were an absolute authority of how a locomotive was turned out. 

I will try to find it today. Honest!

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1