OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Oh wow with the flash that colour looks just as bad as some of Hornbys GWR Green models! 

I thought it was interesting that the two GWR locos in the background which got less light didn't change colour under flash.

Maybe the colour got washed out by the sensor in the camera due to over exposure? (I was pretty close)

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Yes, I'll certainly try to find that photo. It is contained within his book about Caerphilly Works. Sad to say that my books are well scattered about the house, with building & decorating work going on. Eric was a real gent, and an absolute mine of information. Both he, and Rufus Stephens (the chargehand painter at Caerphilly) were an absolute authority of how a locomotive was turned out. 

I will try to find it today. Honest!

Cheers,

Ian.

This is the one:

69211896_Caerphilly43xx.jpeg.dc467e16ec741aa571d292d54fcf5bcc.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

11 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

...The conn rods are still about 3mm too long...

I feel much of that arises from the *rear of the cylinder being placed too far ahead of the leading coupled wheel. If the wheelbase is accurately dimensioned then some extra length is required in the piston rod or connecting rod to compensate. (Hornby have this* relationship right on their Prairie, as the equivalent side on photos reveal.)

I haven't been able to work out which changes were made, and those that should have been made but were not made, arising from the moving forward of the cylinders in mid-2018. As you note, Hornby has got the area correct on their Prairie. My current fear is that Dapol's mechanical development stopped over a year ago, but maybe the 'new CADs' seen by Mike will reveal a new chapter.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

This is the one:

Thanks for that Nick. I thought I'd seen pretty much every GWR/BR (W) livery combination over the last 30+ years of obsession with all things Swindon......but this one completely passed me by! However, there is still a problem with the Dapol model: the tender is correct, the can side sheet isn't......

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 11.06.41.png

• RMweb Gold

Isn't all the comment about this, and any required changes thereby identified, exactly why livery samples are produced? 

I find it quite entertaining that the feature everyone initially thought to be wrong has turned out to be authentic (if vanishingly rare) whilst a simple omission of cab lining (intentional or otherwise) passed most of us by.

Of course, the prototype photo of 6308 shows the other side.....:angel: 

What cannot be denied is that, even at this stage of development, Dapol's mogul represents a huge advance on its Mainline and Bachmann predecessors.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Isn't all the comment about this, and any required changes thereby identified, exactly why livery samples are produced? 

I find it quite entertaining that the feature everyone initially thought to be wrong has turned out to be authentic (if vanishingly rare) whilst a simple omission of cab lining (intentional or otherwise) passed most of us by.

Of course, the prototype photo of 6308 shows the other side.....:angel: 

What cannot be denied is that, even at this stage of development, Dapol's mogul represents a huge advance on its Mainline and Bachmann predecessors.

John

Hi John,

I totally agree. My comments are intended in the spirit of constructive discussion and feedback to Dapol - definitely NOT carping criticism. I will be having one or more of these!

For what it's worth, I think this model looks stunning and along with the forthcoming Hornby/Dapol Large Prairies and Bachmann 94xx finally closes some major omissions in the range of quality OO GWR locomotives.

Andy.

• Like 2

I wandered around Warley on Saturday and in a bit of a black dog haze, my main task of the day was to decide if I want to retain my N stock and do another railway in N and how much of my OO stock to keep.

Inadvertently I stumbled upon the Dapol stand and there was the glass cabinet full of Moguls - whilst the Hornby Prairie hasn't raised even a modicum of interest to me it was piqued by the Mogul.

In a day of realisation that another N gauge layout is unlikely I did find something that means perhaps my OO gauge days are not completely numbered as well but I will need space for a turntable!!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

In a day of realisation that another N gauge layout is unlikely I did find something that means perhaps my OO gauge days are not completely numbered as well but I will need space for a turntable!!

Please don't look in the NEC thread, it appears I've already talked myself into an N GWR branch, one last throw of the N gauge dice but I still might like a Mogul in OO.

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

This is the one:

This photo is reproduced in David Andrews' excellent monograph 'The Churchward 2-6-0s' published by Line One (1985) with the comment that pressure of space inside the works was so great that somekbox & cab roof are being painted in the open-air while steam is being raised!!! I'm not sure I'd have deduced this from the photo.  The full date of 28th February is given.

It's a bit odd that Dapol have gone for this odd & unattractive form of tender lining esp. as I think 6308 was unique. Lined black would have been more useful! Andrews records that 5370, 7313, & 9314 received such a livery.  The Swindon version of fully lined green with the fender lined separately as happened initially on 6372 & 6385 in 1956 (May??, for Royal Train duties on the Barnstaple branch) & then on others from Jan 1957 looked wonderful - unfortunately fender-lining was soon stopped. From the one of the photos it looks as if Dapol are going to offer it.

Martin

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

The combination of GWR post war livery but with smokebox number strikes me as strange and could deter sales. It's putting me of buying a post war one in addition to a shirt button one.

they will sell you a replacement smokebox  door without the silly number for a few pounds.  And having no printed number on the buffer beam will make for easier renunbering 

If I buy one it will be this, though I’m just as likely to stick with my original plan of rebuilding the chassis for my 2nd hand Mitchell kit built example...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

The combination of GWR post war livery but with smokebox number strikes me as strange and could deter sales. It's putting me of buying a post war one in addition to a shirt button one.

An absolute ridiculous approach if you ask me. Why don't Dapol do both instead if they really want an early BR version.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

The Bachmann one advanced only in putting a can motor in the split chassis instead of a pancake type, otherwise it was hardly touched.

IIRC The same applies to the Manor, AFAIK both were at one time in the pipeline for upgrading to solid DCC friendly chassis but it seems to have been forgotten.