OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Along with the one that has the strange tender lining, Dapol have been choosing some odd locos that’s for sure.

I thought we had just covered that. Dapol have released a sample, which is based upon bona-fide photographic evidence. I can't see anything strange about it at all.  As far as  the  discrepancy of smokebox numberplates is concerned, anything going through a workshop or shed would have its number added. Basically, any depot with a drill or welder capability. I'm pretty sure you would indeed see a tender locomotive with a roundel based motif, sporting a BR smokebox number. If a locomotive is in revenue-based service, it won't be stopped just for a number change, as that number is already in place. Stopping a loco would be something as mundane as a boiler washout. But if a foreman wanted the loco sharpish, then things like door numbers can wait. The mogul is very much a common user locomotive. Although its normally allocated, it could be anywhere on the system. The tender however... It'll run until it needs repairing, so having any of the company logo is likely to be seen. 

Perhaps Dapol are secretly collecting numbers on ex-Caerphilly works models.  Or... Perhaps Dapol are looking to capitalise  on a sudden upsurge in turntable models. You never know!

Cheers,

Ian.

• Agree 1

Would recommend looking at the Hattons project update page. Some nice clear photos and the lining on the Early Emblem model is correct too

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=495&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=mar-359-mogulpaintsample&fbclid=IwAR2C3dcc9-sBGAlyAN7U6dUlFmpYkj0HZZr9_GaDJss-yIt37q1h5vimm94

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Dapol's Warley offerings are a bunch of arbitrary combinations of different body styles and bits of different liveries. I can't take them too seriously.

That's not been unknown on a variety of makers' initial livery samples (which I understand these to be)

The idea is to check the finish on every optional component whilst minimising the number of complete models to be treated. To that end some weird mixtures of parts tend to show up, especially where a large number of variations are planned.

Expect correct combinations to emerge with the arrival of final livery samples.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I really good chat with the Dapol guys at Warley.

At one point I was fumbling around for pictures of a Wartime 53xx, with protective rainsheets for the cabs, and mounting positions for rifles on the footplate.. giving an for the future. The other was the 63xx that frequented Reading in BR livery with a GWR tender.

I was really impressed by these models, the coupling to the tender is a simple push fit, with pins, looks very straight forwards, its pivoted to allow cornering.

But I do like the wheels, finished very nicely, Dapol added that they will paint finish them. I pointed out the example of Didcot prarie, that had wheels from a manor, 63xx in its history, which lead to the Manor conversation. Its clear Dapol are well researching these and the prarie.

Originally I was a bit agnostic to the Mogul, but now Ive seen it i’m really impressed with it. Its really nice, sharp, crisp from all angles, a large contrast to the previous Mogul, whose plastic is much much thicker. the one I held, even without its motor, was nice and heavy enough. My only thought is maybe the lined Green ones should be a little darker.

I wasn't expecting to see them, so nice surprise, and so many of them, it will be hard to ignore buying one, or two.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Thanks to everyone who has posted shots from Warley. They're certainly looking good.

Just a few queries on the green versions:

1) shouldn't the wheel splasher tops be black?

2) shouldn't the tender tool boxes be green?

3) the postwar 'G W R' branding looks a little undersize and while it's correctly off centre to avoid the vertical rivet lines, I can't recall seeing a prototype photo where it's placed forward of the rivets, it's usually behind as far as I can recall...

1 hour ago, BenL said:

Just a few queries on the green versions:

Yes, splasher tops should be black. Yes, tender tool boxes should be green.

I agree the 'G W R' does look a bit undersize. With respect to the longitudinal insignia placement, you might well be right, I don't have Churchward 3500g pics of that era to check, but my initial feeling is the W should be over the centre axle.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Yes, splasher tops should be black. Yes, tender tool boxes should be green.

I agree the 'G W R' does look a bit undersize. With respect to the longitudinal insignia placement, you might well be right, I don't have Churchward 3500g pics of that era to check, but my initial feeling is the W should be over the centre axle.

Thanks Miss Prism.

My understanding is that the GWR instructions were to avoid branding going over rivets so Dapol is right to put the GWR off centre to avoid the central vertical rivet line on the tender. But I'm pretty confident all the prototype photos I've seen have the W placed behind the central rivet line rather than in front. This is the clearest photo I can find online at the mo - I appreciate it's an oil burner but I don't think that makes a difference as this is the GWR placement I've generally seen on riveted 3500g tenders:

https://www.alamy.com/gwr-loco-garth-hall-1946-image7219546.html

Edited by BenL
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, George_ said:

I emailed Dapol on Sunday about this, but am yet to receive a reply.

I find their attitude of "if it is incorrect then we have made a correct part which we will sell to you" more than a little perturbing. Dapol have previously  'fixed' their errors in this way, two examples were, suggesting modelers repaint missing detail ("get your paintbrush out") and charging postage to if you wanted your faulty class 68 bodyshell exchanged.

I can only agree with Fatadder - email or phone them and politely request they change there minds about this policy. I have found Neil to be honest and reasonable in the past, but his duties mean he has little time to be involved in customer service or product development.

18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Along with the one that has the strange tender lining, Dapol have been choosing some odd locos that’s for sure.

Well, lets give them a chance, shall we? Caveat Emptor, and all that. It seems to me that people are marking down the model on the basis of following historical photographs. The first wisdom is, I think:- "Get a photo you wish to follow, and study it". Damned if you are, and damned if you don't.

• Agree 3

The green on the BR one looks very dull and flat, the same affliction that their class 22 diesels suffered from. Wont be paying £130 ish quid for something that needs a repaint. The silkier green finish used by Bachmann on the other hand looks spot on.

Is there a cab side window version to come ? -apologies if this has been raised before.

4 hours ago, George_ said:

I find their attitude of "if it is incorrect then we have made a correct part which we will sell to you" more than a little perturbing.

Happy to be corrected, my understanding from reading the thread is that it isn't an error, hence your comment doesn't apply.

The issue is that people on here don't agree with the choice of model, and so a relatively cheap option to change the model to what they want has apparently been offered by Dapol at Warley.

Dapol is selling "green with GWR & BR smoke box number plate", presumably reflecting a prototype that had the number plate added by BR before the loco got repainted.

But the people on here want a model from the late GWR era, not the BR era.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Happy to be corrected, my understanding from reading the thread is that it isn't an error, hence your comment doesn't apply.

The issue is that people on here don't agree with the choice of model, and so a relatively cheap option to change the model to what they want has apparently been offered by Dapol at Warley.

Dapol is selling "green with GWR & BR smoke box number plate", presumably reflecting a prototype that had the number plate added by BR before the loco got repainted.

But the people on here want a model from the late GWR era, not the BR era.

That is my understanding, Dapol have been picking some uncommon examples (see the lining on the early emblem BR example) rather than picking the most common variants. 

at least in this case an easy option to get that common version is to buy a new door, though don’t Dapol use a separate component for the door number (making its removal very easy anyway?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I really good chat with the Dapol guys at Warley.

At one point I was fumbling around for pictures of a Wartime 53xx, with protective rainsheets for the cabs, and mounting positions for rifles on the footplate.. giving an for the future. 

That's an earlier version though. The type Mainline did. A hundred of which were later converted to Manors and Granges.

These are later versions with different splashers and running plates, with other detail differences.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Steamport Southport said:

That's an earlier version though. The type Mainline did. A hundred of which were later converted to Manors and Granges.

These are later versions with different splashers and running plates, with other detail differences.

Jason

I guess thats a clue to the future then.

On 25/11/2019 at 11:13, 7007GreatWestern said:

Thanks for that Nick. I thought I'd seen pretty much every GWR/BR (W) livery combination over the last 30+ years of obsession with all things Swindon......but this one completely passed me by! However, there is still a problem with the Dapol model: the tender is correct, the can side sheet isn't......

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 11.06.41.png

Last night I had an exchange of emails with Andy Forty (about an unrelated topic).  I mentioned the cab in the pic above.  His reply is that the final livery tweaks haven't been agreed yet, the meeting having not taken place, but this and other issues with the models shown that people HAD talked to him about at Warley would be discussed.

Hope this helps

Les 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

Images on Facebook. 6308 is the Dapol Collectors Club exclusive model.

Just waiting upon the "announment" that they are going to sell extra smokebox doors or a "new" livery option of the 'GWR' livery without smokebox number plate

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2019 at 12:29, The Great Bear said:

The combination of GWR post war livery but with smokebox number strikes me as strange and could deter sales. It's putting me of buying a post war one in addition to a shirt button one.

It is presumably correct for this loco in early BR period, though.  Many late G W R 1945-7 'initials' livery locos continued to carry that livery well into BR days, not being repainted until their next full overhaul, and the smokebox numbers, as well as the BR shedcode plates, were fitted to the locos at the sheds during 1948.  This means that some locos carried both smokebox door and buffer beam numbers simultaneously.  I would rather see removable smokebox number plates but if Dap are going to supply replacement doors to make the loco suitable for late GW (and really early BR) use, the issue is addressed!

No.4 boiler smokebox doors could also serve as retrofits for any loco carrying this boiler being converted from BR to GW condition, and the Hornby 42xx/5202/72xx come to mind...

Whether it deters sales is moot, but kudos to Dap for their enterprise; AFAIK nobody else has done this.  Its a hard one to call; on one hand the livery may put purchasers off, on the other some will applaud the unusual and want something a tad different on their layouts.  It is of course another version for the collectors.

Smokebox numbers started not long after nationalisation but originally had M/W/S/E denoting company. Replaced later when they devised the renumbering system. They were still churning out locomotives in pre 1948 livery with BR numbers and smokebox number plates. Particularly on the Eastern Region.

Shed codes didn't appear until 1950 apart from on the LMR and ScR.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport