OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

18 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

That’s a pretty good price, and I’d expect the model to sell consistently well. I’ll be interested to see how well it performs, particularly in regard to smooth slow running, as the mech is presumably identical to the upcoming large prairie.  I will have a large prairie, next in the queue after a Baccy 94xx, and price and slow running will ‘inform’ my choice of Hornby or Dapol.  

The mech will probably give us a good indication of how the Manor will perform as well, it's been a long drawn out process for Dapol to release the Mogul but given the current climate I can wait a few more months, I have two of the Mainline Moguls one of which I had repainted and renumbered to 4326 many years ago due to it having the outside steam pipes, with the impending release of the Dapol Mogul I have retired that loco and will be using it as a spare parts source to keep the other one running. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi guys I'm going to need a couple of these lovely locos when they come out for my Ilfracombe layout. I've been holding off buying some older Bachmann examples with the hope that these new locos are going to be up to scratch. I was wondering if anyone might help me be able to identify which locos would be useful for converting to the following locos spotted on the line. I appreciate that the locos irl had to have cut down steps to fit within the loading gauge and assume this won't be catered for on the Dapol models but close as possible would work for me. I was hoping to have an early BR and a later BR version. 

Below are a list of the following locos spotted on the line. 

Cheers 

Pete

The Dapol Mogul can't be used for 5336 because it has the earlier form of motion plate, and it can't be used for 7333 and 7337 as they were fitted with side-window cabs and extended frames. The rest of your list seems ok. As far as I know, Dapol is planning to make available inside- and outside-piped versions as part of its initial offering.

You would therefore need pics of your chosen locos to see which were fitted with inside or outside pipes in your chosen timescale. Although boiler-swapping was as regular as on any other GWR class, I get the impression that cylinder-swapping was extremely rare. Boiler swapping with affect the presence of a high or low safety valve cover - Dapol seem to be offering both,

You'll also need to check your chosen locos have  the high line of washout plugs on the firebox sides.

As far as I can tell, none of your chosen locos were lined post-1956.

• Informative/Useful 1

Re- Fitting of O/S steampipes.  6326 7.57, 6345 4.54, 6346 not fitted, 7303 10.49, 7304 11.47, 7306 6.56 7320 as built, 6375 10.48. Hope this helps.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
Additional info.

9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

As far as I can tell, none of your chosen locos were lined post-1956.

If you wanted a lined version you could go for 6372 - a Taunton engine from late 1930s until its withdrawal in Dec 1963. There are many photos of it on the Barnstaple line & there's one of it at Ilfracombe in Martin Smith's 'Exmoor's Railways'. That was in Aug 1953 so it was in black (& it looks as if it had an intermediate tender then).  It was the 1st Mogul to have the lined livery, in May 1956 so with lining on the tender fender & the 1st BR totem. There is a photo of it at Newton Abbott with a small 2nd BR totem (so in all likelihood lined) on the Rail-Online photo site, the date given is '1960s'. By Aug 1962 it was in plain green with a large 2nd BR totem (see GWRJ 19) - as was the general case by then. It never received outside steam pipes.

Martin

Edited by martinT
Steam pipes comment added
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Hatton's have information from Dapol that their prairie is due to be released in September. 10 sheets cheaper than the Hornby version.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=333448&utm_source=ItemDeliveryDateUpdated&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4S-041-004

But no picture yet of an EP.   If it is due for release in September I would have expected to see an EP picture, if not livery samples, by now.  To arrive in the UK in September - let's be generous and say the end of that month - would mean shipping from  Chinese port not much later than mid August so only 3 or 4 weeks from now.  That means the models must either be in production or they have actually been produced and have started their journey.  So why no photos of them?  I can't find any mention of them on Dapol's Facebook page either

• Agree 4

Arrgghh. I cannot believe Dapol have left that ridiculous smokebox numberplate on the production run 7301 in G-W-R green.

Why would you produce a model who’s prototype appeared like that for a vanishingly small amount of time? I’m

not going to spend £135-plus to take a scalpel to a brand new model. It’ll be the shirtbutton version and some Fox transfers for me I think. 

Still, as 7301 is in such a ridiculous livery combination they might end up in the bargain bin anyway.... something sub £100 is a much more agreeable thing to attack with a blade... 

CoY 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But no picture yet of an EP.   If it is due for release in September I would have expected to see an EP picture, if not livery samples, by now.  To arrive in the UK in September - let's be generous and say the end of that month - would mean shipping from  Chinese port not much later than mid August so only 3 or 4 weeks from now.  That means the models must either be in production or they have actually been produced and have started their journey.  So why no photos of them?  I can't find any mention of them on Dapol's Facebook page either

As someone who prides himself in dealing with the facts it appears I might just have provided some fake news then Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

As someone who prides himself in dealing with the facts it appears I might just have provided some fake news then Mike.

Not really Rob - all you did was provide a link - to somebody else's 'fake news' (or mix up - most likely the latter I think).

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Arrgghh. I cannot believe Dapol have left that ridiculous smokebox numberplate on the production run 7301 in G-W-R green.

Why would you produce a model who’s prototype appeared like that for a vanishingly small amount of time? I’m

not going to spend £135-plus to take a scalpel to a brand new model. It’ll be the shirtbutton version and some Fox transfers for me I think. 

Still, as 7301 is in such a ridiculous livery combination they might end up in the bargain bin anyway.... something sub £100 is a much more agreeable thing to attack with a blade... 

CoY 

Don't panic (yet). This is just the same old pre-publicity photo being wheeled out again. As was discussed earlier in this thread they made up versions of the models from a box full of parts for exhibition and early photography. They wouldn't be so silly as to use that smokebox door on the production models.

Fingers crossed.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

They wouldn't be so silly as to use that smokebox door on the production models.

It's not pantomime season but oh yes they would.

87342400_Mogul2.jpg.684a7918ed196a94936b7601bc483e84.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Funny 3

21 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

CoY 

There are some locos that had their final big four liveries into BR dayso it's not as crazy or ridiculous as you claim it to be, maybe look up some other locos before jumping to the conclusions like that?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

There are some locos that had their final big four liveries into BR dayso it's not as crazy or ridiculous as you claim it to be, maybe look up some other locos before jumping to the conclusions like that?

Distinctly remember the number being  applied to the buffer beam with shed abbreviations on side of running plate as opposed to later numerical  code.They ran like this for quite a while after 1948.

You would strengthen any argument you might have on the issue if you provided evidence of a Mogul in that condition rather than a vague maybe. All the ones I saw at the time were so covered in grime that only a close inspection revealed the details .

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Incorrect statement.Amended text

No, i’m a modeller of the late (pre-BR) GWR so whilst I need moguls in G-W-R green, I don’t want a smokebox door number, as the GWR never used them! As Mr Hargrave states above, GWR numbering on the front of locos was always applied to the right hand side of the front bufferbeam (inboard of the buffers)

I’m not jumping to conclusions thank you. I would’ve just thought that the market for a G-W-R  green mogul without smokebox numberplate would be eminently bigger than one for a G-W-R green mogul with a smokebox numberplate. 

This mogul as depicted might’ve have been seen between early 1948 and perhaps as late as 1953-ish, but certainly no later. Which is academic as my modelling period stops dead on midnight 31st December 1947!!! 

CoY 

P.S - I apologise for my trigger happy initial whinge as I did not see the ‘pre-production samples’ label on the Hatton graphic. However, as Rob has pointed out, the loco announcement spec does list 7301 as coming with the smokebox numberplate :-( 

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

No, i’m a modeller of the late (pre-BR) GWR so whilst I need moguls in G-W-R green, I don’t want a smokebox door number, as the GWR never used them! As Mr Hargrave states above, GWR numbering on the front of locos was always applied to the right hand side of the front bufferbeam (inboard of the buffers)

I’m not jumping to conclusions thank you. I would’ve just thought that the market for a G-W-R  green mogul without smokebox numberplate would be eminently bigger than one for a G-W-R green mogul with a smokebox numberplate. 

This mogul as depicted might’ve have been seen between early 1948 and perhaps as late as 1953-ish, but certainly no later. Which is academic as my modelling period stops dead on midnight 31st December 1947!!! 

CoY 

P.S - I apologise for my trigger happy initial whinge as I did not see the ‘pre-production samples’ label on the Hatton graphic. However, as Rob has pointed out, the loco announcement spec does list 7301 as coming with the smokebox numberplate :-( 

Interestingly there was Modified Hall running round in fully lined late GWR livery, with a smokebox numberplate, a t year or two later than that.  a friend of mine took a photo of it when - to his astonishment - he came across it.

• Informative/Useful 3

23 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Don't panic (yet). This is just the same old pre-publicity photo being wheeled out again. As was discussed earlier in this thread they made up versions of the models from a box full of parts for exhibition and early photography. They wouldn't be so silly as to use that smokebox door on the production models.

Fingers crossed.

They put a BR smokebox door on the O gauge 1432 in G W R green so I wouldn’t doubt they’ll do it on a OO loco!

Edited by aaron3820
loco no corrected
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Yes, well, it does look very deliberate that the GWR livery will be combined with a BR number plate...

I'm sure it's all part of a cunning plan.

:scratchhead:

It's going to be the first of a new range of locos in Company insignia and BR smokebox numbers.

Dapol are going to corner the market:no:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh ye of little faith, it did happen, 6324 carried a GWR lettered tender into the 1960’s

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/4300/hA8896B7A#ha8896b7a

(and if theres any doubts, the Loco’s tender immediately behind 6324 is a BR late logo).

7816 Frilsham Manor also used the same tender here in 1964

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50256734@N05/5702915274

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1