OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2020 at 03:50, Hilux5972 said:

I doubt it, when all the pre prod images show standard tension locks. 

Clearly fitted to make it suit the layout it was being filmed on. 

Does look like Dapol know where the pocket is supposed to sit, though....

John

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2020 at 15:04, rembrow said:

The September Hornby magazine, which came out late last week, has in the Dapol full page advert, the Moguls as 'coming soon' which confirms that Dapol are expecting them imminently. Also to water the mouth, or frighten the wallet, they are also stating the Dapol/Rails Wainwright D class as 'coming soon'. These adverts normally mean the items are well into production or in transit.

Given that the only thing of interest to me coming out of Margate for at least the next year is a green Mk1 RB, I shouldn't have any difficulty financing one of the latter and at least one of the former.

John

• RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2020 at 19:56, melmerby said:

Haven't there been some modern wagons with buckeyes (like the prototype)?

Bogie covered steel carriers from Bachmann IIRC, but those weren't proper Kadees, just Bachmann's own brown plastic substututes.

John

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 19:56, melmerby said:

Haven't there been some modern wagons with buckeyes (like the prototype)?

The list is at least 4 strong BRA, HTA, MBA, MOA.

15 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

... those weren't proper Kadees, just Bachmann's own brown plastic substitutes.

While the coupler might not be from your preferred source, fitting a coupler that at least looks somewhat like that used on the prototype, and correctly on the vehicle body, is surely a significant step forward over the usual RTR OO tensionlockery dangling in a position deriving from a very coarse ancestor product of the 1950s? It's the last remnant of the bad old beginnings of RTR OO...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Clearly fitted to make it suit the layout it was being filmed on. 

Does look like Dapol know where the pocket is supposed to sit, though....

John

I think they do, I have several Da-ol Locos and many wagons and all fitted with Kadees......all required no height adjustment upon fitting......excellent stuff.......Bachmann on the other hand :o

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hmmm....looks tempting as a replacement chassis to re-power an IHC Espee M-4 2-6-0.  Nearly identical cylinder and valve gear. Will have to see how close the driver diameters match.  Perhaps the coming Owl Mountain Models replacement Consolidation cylinders would mean I wouldn't have to clobber together a rounded top to the cylinder.  Will have to see if there is a way to use a LocoFi WiFi receiver in place of a decoder. Like that steam locomotive mechanism design a lot. 

Small difference in driver size M-4 was 5' 3" instead of 5' 8" on 4300. 

Diagram Locos of SP M-4 4b.jpg

Edited by autocoach
more on crazy idea

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, autocoach said:

Hmmm....looks tempting as a replacement chassis to re-power an IHC Espee M-4 2-6-0.

Thought the IHC chasses had a good reputation. Isn't this so?

11 hours ago, NCB said:

Thought the IHC chasses had a good reputation. Isn't this so?

Any mechanism will eventually wear out, among other potential explanations.

For whatever reason a new mechanism is required, @autocoach will be more likely to find it under an HO product. There isn't a RTR OO mogul model with circa 18mm diameter drivers on 26+27mm wb., I think the closest from what is available RTR will be the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0: 20mm dia. wheel, 27+28mm wb.. Could have 18mm drivers substituted, but this pushes the price up.

• RMweb Gold

Stand by for a flood of Mainline 43xx on 'Bay, then.  I might even be tempted to go for a body if they are cheap enough as the basis of a potential future project to have a crack at 3100, Tondu resident and doyen of the Collett 31xx class of 1938 and to my mind the 'ultimate' prairie; no.4 boiler and 5'3" driving wheels, 3150 on steroids, a bit of a thug.  Collett was clearly of the view that more could be got out of the large prairies, and experimented with Churchward's concept without departing from it, firstly with the 61xx and higher boiler pressure, then the 81xx with higher boiler pressure as well and 5'6" drivers, and then his 31xx (the original 31xx by now being renumbered in the 5101 series).    Hawksworth, perhaps hampered by the war requirements which must have meant a lot of extra work, was content to continue the 5101s into the 41xx series which were still being built in 1950.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2020 at 17:04, The Stationmaster said:

If you saw the way Swindon painted engines (and presumably tenders) it was easy to understand why with the work being done fairly quickly while an engine was dealt with in A Shop (Churchward had shut the loco Paint shop at Swindon in order to save money and get engines into traffic more quickly). I suspect Caerphilly did a much better job because it retained a separate Paint Shop right up to closure and had a very fussy Paint shop Foreman who liked the job to be done properly

The late Mr. Rufus Stephens. A gent whom commented favourably when Taff Vale 28 went into service. A conversation between Messrs Stephens & Mountford was an opportunity not to be missed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Begs the question slightly about what small correction to the livery would be necessary on all six livery variations offered? Numberplate printed upside down? Buffer beam not red?. Very little else in common to all six versions. Probably actually affects just one variant but not economic to ship the others separately. Still, full marks to Dapol for spotting it and having it corrected.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Andy W said:

Begs the question slightly about what small correction to the livery would be necessary on all six livery variations offered? Numberplate printed upside down? Buffer beam not red?. Very little else in common to all six versions. Probably actually affects just one variant but not economic to ship the others separately. Still, full marks to Dapol for spotting it and having it corrected.

All painted 'Hornby Green' :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Well done Dapol for taking the trouble to keep us as informed as possible about the delay and the reason for it.  It sort of doesn't matter what the error was, since it has been spotted and is being corrected.  I wish other manufacturers would keep us up to date with this sort of information; there is a point of course at which such information is commercially sensitive but Dapol have shown how it can be done in this case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Well done Dapol for taking the trouble to keep us as informed as possible about the delay and the reason for it.  It sort of doesn't matter what the error was, since it has been spotted and is being corrected.  I wish other manufacturers would keep us up to date with this sort of information; there is a point of course at which such information is commercially sensitive but Dapol have shown how it can be done in this case.

To a certain degree yes.It’s a pity though that they still choose not to inhabit this forum but rather use their own and other social media. I can understand their reasons. Criticism here turned predjudicially unpleasant and enough was enough .

• Agree 3