OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

All painted 'Hornby Green' :jester:

Maybe they found the same bloke in the factory fitting the sound equipped Moguls just like the Dapol sound fitted Streamlined Railcar and decided it might be better to solder the speaker terminals instead?  :rolleyes:

6FFB0A54-77F4-477D-AB67-DC1C909B387F.jpeg.26e8b50b588596628ff897102f8d29f0.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Maybe they found the same bloke in the factory fitting the sound equipped Moguls just like the Dapol sound fitted Streamlined Railcar and decided it might be better to solder the speaker terminals instead?  :rolleyes:

They're not even good wrapped joints!

I had a non sound one and it stopped working.

Taking the top off there was a wire just floating around.

Maybe it had just been twisted around a terminal somewhere?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Good grief - that's appalling for a factory fit. Would it even pass the required UK/EU safety standards for electrical items?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Andy W said:

Begs the question slightly about what small correction to the livery would be necessary on all six livery variations offered? Numberplate printed upside down? Buffer beam not red?. Very little else in common to all six versions. Probably actually affects just one variant but not economic to ship the others separately. Still, full marks to Dapol for spotting it and having it corrected.

Possibly it’s only one of the variants but it’s cheaper to send the lot as one shipment . No matter 4-5 weeks is hardly a long time when you can wait 4-5 years for Bachmann  158, 94XX, 170 etc etc 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Good grief - that's appalling for a factory fit. Would it even pass the required UK/EU safety standards for electrical items?

Indeed it is appalling, and I said so in an email (with the picture) to Dapol after it came back for the second time with faults and they said no faults found, I have not had any answers to my subsequent emails, great service on a £250 model direct from the manufacturers!

I do not believe I am going to buy any more Dapol goods, I was a fan of Dapol before this, but my treatment has been as bad as the wiring.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

It certainly is appalling. But I suspect UK/EU standards home in on mains items, not 12 v toys. 

My own suspicion is that this is as a result of bringing in local labour that has not received adequate training, or maybe even been required to sit an aptitude test. And as for a quality control process, well....

• Agree 4

I'm looking into ordering one of these models but have a question regards the DCC version and hoping the hive mind of RMWeb can help.

The price difference between the DC and DCC versions is around £25 give or take, yet the average price of Next18 decoder is around £20. So if I order the DCC version what do I get for my extra £5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

I'm looking into ordering one of these models but have a question regards the DCC version and hoping the hive mind of RMWeb can help.

The price difference between the DC and DCC versions is around £25 give or take, yet the average price of Next18 decoder is around £20. So if I order the DCC version what do I get for my extra £5

Dapol's decoder?

I would go for a Zimo, I have a MX618N18 waiting for mine when it arrives.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Fitting.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

For your money you get a decoder that can be picked up for £10 + p&p (Dapol Imperiums are rebadged LaisDCC) and it fitted to a model thats designed for easy DCC fitting.

You also get the added bonus that your new model gets removed from the packaging at Dapol HQ to have the decoder fitted, potentially damaging detail in the process then repacked to send to your or your retailer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2020 at 18:32, Kaput said:

For your money you get a decoder that can be picked up for £10 + p&p (Dapol Imperiums are rebadged LaisDCC) and it fitted to a model thats designed for easy DCC fitting.

You also get the added bonus that your new model gets removed from the packaging at Dapol HQ to have the decoder fitted, potentially damaging detail in the process then repacked to send to your or your retailer.

Any reason they're not fitted in China during assembly, as I would expect?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/video-Dapol-product-update

The Mogul got a mention in the GETS Dapol Product Update. (first feature)

Summary from the video. The models were on the water on 28th September and expected in shops mid-November

I think given that new revised date I might save mine as a Christmas present to myself (insert santa emoji)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rails say next week (woohoo!) but mine is pre-ordered with Hattons so wait and see! I have ordered the sound fitted version so hope it is half decent. I will use it to run "specials" to Fernhead! 

• Like 2

I also pre-ordered a sound version from Hattons. Wasn't expecting it quite so soon... but that's okay! WIll probably need to order even more now so that it is worthwhile shipping the contents of my Hatton's trunk!

Edited by Jon Harbour

I've been looking at third party DCC fitting prices- for a 6-pin decoder the AVERAGE I found was £19.50 including return postage, plus the cost of a chip.  Even with a £10 Lais chip that takes the third party price to more than Dapol's.

And no guarantee of a better job repacking the beast.  Before I started fitting my own decoders I had one loco returned (a Farish V2) with the trailing truck reassembled backwards - a feat I thought impossible to achieve.  Suffice to say that supplier doesn't get any of my business any more.

Les

Edited by Les1952

… (Dapol Imperiums are rebadged LaisDCC)…

Given the litigation in the US with TCS and the fact that DCC concepts openly state that LAIS stole the IP of the design of their earlier version Zen decoders, I suspect that Dapol’s decoders are more likely to be made by somebody else with LAIS versions being grey clones. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jenny Emily said:

Given the litigation in the US with TCS and the fact that DCC concepts openly state that LAIS stole the IP of the design of their earlier version Zen decoders, I suspect that Dapol’s decoders are more likely to be made by somebody else with LAIS versions being grey clones. 

The latest NMRA list includes both Dapol & Lais  with their own individual codes.

appendix_a_s-9_2_2.pdf

• RMweb Gold

nicking someone's IP to get a foot in the door is frequently done (in China especiallylly). in the world of Reef aquariums a company called Jecod (they where called something very similar at the start before re-branding) started life by nicking other companies designs and making identical products, selling them far cheaper. to be fair they were ok products, now they design and make their own stuff, to a good standard.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, JST said:

Rails say next week (woohoo!) but mine is pre-ordered with Hattons so wait and see! I have ordered the sound fitted version so hope it is half decent. I will use it to run "specials" to Fernhead! 

I’d check the speaker installation if I were you, this is the Dapol “factory fitted” sound version of the streamlined Railcar......368F5082-B84C-43A1-B0C6-6BD8D420DDFB.jpeg.fcc37c23af93a2cf6d22aaf47b837a92.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I’d check the speaker installation if I were you, this is the Dapol “factory fitted” sound version of the streamlined Railcar......

I didn't have a fitted version but mine stopped running after a few minutes  and when I took the top off there was a wire floating around that didn't look as if it have been soldered to anything.

It went back for replacement.

The replacement didn't have any of the plug in dummy head/tail lights!

Edited by melmerby