OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

It used to be the case that drivers were allowed some autonomy in choosing how to do their delivery route. So, in this case, the driver would make sure that he reached your post room before 7 and delivered somewhere else later.

Now, with all the advantages of GPS tracking, the courier companies' computers are doing the route planning. This is what allows them to give you fairly precise delivery times.  

Yes I suspect thats the case. Its very frustrating when said company is based in San Javier (@20 minutes away) and still choose the wrong times!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

That wouldn't worry them, they'll just leave them on the doorstep ! Had a delivery the other day which was tracked via their(delivery company)  app. Suddenly had a ding from app parcel delivered ! I was in the house sitting down reading a magazine at the time. So went to front door and there was the parcel, van had rapidly disappeared.  No knock at door, if so the dog would have started barking, as good a door bell as any !

Why leave them at your door when they can leave it on your roof ?

4B04B536-60DE-4A1E-B507-2AD8F7BF4D88.jpeg.e283bfb377fecdf7e50e25c21a649a78.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Latest mail shot from Hattons informs that Dapol say they are due “within the next few weeks “. So then,a case of wires crossed or mixed messages .

Well, Rails' optimistic prediction did not come to pass, despite their close working relationship with Dapol.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Well, Rails' optimistic prediction did not come to pass, despite their close working relationship with Dapol.

someone trying to steal march on the competition with pre-orders maybe, promising something sooner than the rest? or just jumping to conclusions.

i have to say i very nearly ordered from Rails 2 weeks ago when they announced getting them in last week but closed the browser as the pay now button,

i'll wait to see what they look like first

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Yet the Dapol website itself says "Due in shops mid-November". That's now. Not so much Rails' prediction as Dapol's.

The reason for the delay could be many. Shipping issues, quality issues, a.n.other - take your pick. Assuming it has been delayed of course, and saying it will be delayed for a few weeks is in itself incorrect.

I'm one of those who would like one, but after the OO Terrier saga decided to wait and see what the feedback was on these models once delivered. Any potential delay doesn't change that in the slightest.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, WisTramwayMan said:

Yet the Dapol website itself says "Due in shops mid-November". That's now. Not so much Rails' prediction as Dapol's.

The reason for the delay could be many. Shipping issues, quality issues, a.n.other - take your pick. Assuming it has been delayed of course, and saying it will be delayed for a few weeks is in itself incorrect.

I'm one of those who would like one, but after the OO Terrier saga decided to wait and see what the feedback was on these models once delivered. Any potential delay doesn't change that in the slightest.

I make that about the 15th/16th about a week away:)

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

for all manufacturers its kind of predictable waves..

Every year theres a stash of stuff arrives for Warley weekend. Its often a mass scramble for dealsrs to get it for the day, and that invariably is the Christmas slam of models.

Then it goes quiet until early January, then 3 weeks or so after Chinese new year, next wave is usually 2/3 months after Chinese new year (and often dodgy quality), followed by a May and a mid -August.

If the rumour mill is correct Accurascale, Dapol and Bachmann all have something at the port awaiting customs.. (Hap, 57, JSA, Mogul etc,), that puts them all on square for a Warley weekender.. just no Warley.

I do wonder how second hand traders, who rely on exhibitions are doing this year.. if they are accumulating stock, that could mean a bubble next year.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

If they are in the country, I assume they will have a quarantine period before released from the Port. This is the case with my wife's business.

Mike Wiltshire

Surely they have been in quarantine while on the boat? 

Unless of course the moguls and terriers have been ignoring social distancing and local curfews and been partying overnight. Lol

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

53 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Surely they have been in quarantine while on the boat? 

Unless of course the moguls and terriers have been ignoring social distancing and local curfews and been partying overnight. Lol

I do not know what the official UK rules are but my wife's business has a container held before HMC will inspect it citing pandemic reasons.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

I do not know what the official UK rules are but my wife's business has a container held before HMC will inspect it citing pandemic reasons.

Mike Wiltshire

She doesn’t import Bat soup by any chance? :lol:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Obviously an unexpected hiccup then. On the Rails Terrier thread,Jenny Kirk posted that after she enquired,Dapol had said they would be available to retailers last week.

Not so much 'unexpected' I think as simple happenstance.   Assuming the ship arrived on time (and there has been some bad weather recently on the route it would be taking) there's quite a lot that can then inject delays from unloading (probably the least likely the way most ports work), followed by actually getting the box out of the unloading area to the next stage of the process due to the sheer quantity of boxes needing to move, h getting through customs, finding delivery transport, and so on.  And all at. very busy time of year when lots of companies are expecting/receiving goods from China and elsewhere.

All of that is the reason why sensible shipping agents quote door-to-door (i.e. Chinese factory to UK company premises) of anything between 41 and 58 days and single box loads compared with groupage traffic will take different amounts of time and groupage can take even longer at this time of year.   So even knowing when the ship is supposed to arrive isn't always the definitive answer for expected date in the shops.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

20 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

someone trying to steal march on the competition with pre-orders maybe, promising something sooner than the rest?

I pretty much doubt there would be a mad rush on them as they have been on pre order for well over 2 years now, I placed mine with Hattons on the 9th of January 2018.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, David Stannard said:

I pretty much doubt there would be a mad rush on them as they have been on pre order for well over 2 years now, I placed mine with Hattons on the 9th of January 2018.

I placed mine last week.

No need to pre-order, it used to be an advantage if locked in prices, but as thats gone, as has any competition on pricing at new release, theres no need to pre-order on most stuff.  
Ive almost nothing on pre-order, except for limited editions / exclusives and things I view as high risk of losing out of I dont. At one point 3 years back I had nearly £8k on pre-order, some of it for years.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

With an eye on the prairie, I’ll be interested in reviews of the mogul’s performance. 

Would they still make a prarie, given the Hornby one is present, and in some parts discounted ? In 2021 Hornby might even do as they did with the 71 and flood the market just to ensure demand has gone ?

tbh I think Dapols better focussing on the Manor, but even then I wouldn't be surprised if a Jack jumped out of that box too.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It would I reckon be daft for them not to, though H gazumped them; Dap announced first!  I reckon they’d have conceded and cut their losses otherwise, and that they haven’t suggests that they reckon they still have something to bring to the party that they can make a wee bobeen out of.  They’ve had to design tooling for a large prairie/mogul/ manor mech anyway so it’s only the cost of the body toolings.  

There are large prairie jacks to jump out of boxes; Churchward 31xx, 3150, and if Dapol can fit smaller driving wheels using chassis sleeves, Collett 81xx and 31xx, all of which can use the same mech and cylinder block/motion. And the mogul has different versions as well, not to mention different chimneys on manors. 

But they’ll need to compete with Hornby’s prairie on price and or quality, so we may see some innovations on this one.  

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TerryBewdley said:

Looking forward to the various reviews on this model

Looking forward to running one. The “reviews” can wait. No doubt forum members will post pdq.....me hopefully included. Most who can remember the period 1945.....1960 ish on the GW/WR regard this as a “style icon” of its era.

Fingers crossed that Dapol score 180 on this.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

It would I reckon be daft for them not to, though H gazumped them; Dap announced first!  I reckon they’d have conceded and cut their losses otherwise, and that they haven’t suggests that they reckon they still have something to bring to the party that they can make a wee bobeen out of.  They’ve had to design tooling for a large prairie/mogul/ manor mech anyway so it’s only the cost of the body toolings.  

There are large prairie jacks to jump out of boxes; Churchward 31xx, 3150, and if Dapol can fit smaller driving wheels using chassis sleeves, Collett 81xx and 31xx, all of which can use the same mech and cylinder block/motion. And the mogul has different versions as well, not to mention different chimneys on manors. 

But they’ll need to compete with Hornby’s prairie on price and or quality, so we may see some innovations on this one.  

Innovations ? Now that’s an interesting challenge.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

When you goto a party and see the sandwiches, the Chicken always goes first, but the Egg and Cress is always leftover. So why make Egg and Cress at all if no one eats it ?

Well, bread is bread, cress is cheap and it fills the plate making it look better value. If you have a plate of chicken sandwiches your margin goes down as the cost goes up.

But if someones stolen your chicken and all youve got to sell is egg and cress, your chances of sales success wane as its just not as attractive..

Might as well make pizza instead and keep the recipe secret.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1