OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

42 minutes ago, The Great Bear said:

Only now realised there is no GWR version with outside steam pipes, seems a strange omission to me...

I may be wrong but was it the case that outside steam pipes weren't fitted in the majority of cases to moguls until post war?  

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

This is the RTR market. A significant % of RTR purchasers are wary of installing a DCC decoder, fearing damage to fragile detail or simply getting it wrong. Making the smokebox door an easy access encourages sales, which is why Dapol are in business. 

Maybe maybe not given the still awkward nature of some other models with such an arrangement with lamp irons at danger of damage. The obvious place place on a tender loco is under a removable coal load.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

I may be wrong but was it the case that outside steam pipes weren't fitted in the majority of cases to moguls until post war?  

According Great Western Archive between July 1928 and August 1958 ,163 members of the class were fitted with  outside steampipes , so it seems over a long period. 

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

I just noticed the prodution sample of the shirtbutton version 6385 have outside steam pipes and the production model have none.

4S-043-002_3366246_Qty1_cat1.jpg

4S-043-002_20201112_3366246_Qty1_2.jpg

6385 got it's OS steampipes in April 1932

Shirtbutton livery introduced from late 1934, so IMHO it's wrong.

Edited by melmerby
correction to introduced
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

I just noticed the prodution sample of the shirtbutton version 6385 have outside steam pipes and the production model have none.

4S-043-002_3366246_Qty1_cat1.jpg

4S-043-002_20201112_3366246_Qty1_2.jpg

Ooops.  Unless they've changed the running number or found some new research information that suggests they have gone adrift somewhere.  According to the RCTS work 6385 appeared with outside steam pipes in April 1932.   I've no idea about subsequent shopping dates or tender swops but if the RCTS is right 6385 had outside steam pipes 2 years before the shirt button logo was first used

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Ooops.  Unless they've changed the running number or found some new research information that suggests they have gone adrift somewhere.

6383 would be OK as that never got OS pipes.

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

'Yer 'Tiz!

IMG_20201113_133041r.jpg.657831739c1b4178cb417ead4a0132b6.jpg

She's a little beauty!

The smokebox door looks OK to me but I'll try to get a better photo for Miss P. later this evening.

That is just stunning. Dare I say it? The finish is Bachmann standard. The big question is: how does she run?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

That is just stunning. Dare I say it? The finish is Bachmann standard. The big question is: how does she run?

That's the agonising part for me - she won't move until Monday, probably, because I haven't got the right decoder!

:banghead:

Someone else will have to oblige.

• Friendly/supportive 5

I hope to test run on analogue control this evening so will report back then. 7310 I had read would be a Croes Newydd allocated loco, but I don't think I recall seeing any artwork defining what the shed code would be. The plate carried is 84J, (the shed changed code to 89B on 10/09/1960 according to the BR Database). So, it's effectively in pre- September 1960 condition. 

Edited by Adrock
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Adrock said:

Mine has just arrived. What an absolute beauty! Bachmann version for comparison too. 

CD912A8E-D143-49AE-A70E-910E94B96128.jpeg

The one on the right wins hands down. Those firebox plugs for starters...

Re 6385, are the outside steam pipes in a detailing pack for fitting by the purchaser perchance?

The Dapol model does look the part and since they operated on the Reading - Redhill line I have a good excuse. 6385 would have been good therefore, if it was in BR green with late crest. Can 7310 be renumbered or are there detail differences?

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

'Yer 'Tiz!

IMG_20201113_133041r.jpg.657831739c1b4178cb417ead4a0132b6.jpg

She's a little beauty!

The smokebox door looks OK to me but I'll try to get a better photo for Miss P. later this evening.

Very nice!... but what does the cat think of it?

PS Fern now has two successors.