OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

Received my BR black version today (very quick service from Hattons). Straight out of the box, very quiet and smooth runner, no hesitation over any points (Peco code 100 large radius electrofrog) , which I have to say the Hornby 61xx had all sorts of problems  with initially (much tinkering has got it to an acceptable level but still not as good as the Dapol Mogul).  Will do some more running of the Mogul  with a load later (it only needs to cope with 5 coaches on my layout). Initial impressions of the model very good.

Petrox

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

John

According to David Maidment's GW Moguls and Prairies, 6380 received outside pipes in August 1944.

David

Thanks for checking David

Rats....or something stronger......if the book is still out could you possibly check my back up 6346?

I am really looking for any 63xx  in 1947/8 without pipes shedded Birkenhead/Chester/Croess Newyd. 

It aint vital.....doubt if my neighbours will notice!

Best wishes

• Friendly/supportive 4

16 minutes ago, john dew said:

Thanks for checking David

Rats....or something stronger......if the book is still out could you possibly check my back up 6346?

I am really looking for any 63xx  in 1947/8 without pipes shedded Birkenhead/Chester/Croess Newyd. 

It aint vital.....doubt if my neighbours will notice!

Best wishes

Just need to stand up!

6346 never got outside steam pipes!  Sadly book doesn't show shed allocations. Happy to check others if helpful.

David

@gwrrobbeat me to it!

Edited by Clearwater
Addn point
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, john dew said:

Wow that was quick....and good news....... now I need to get another plate order in!

Thank you so much Robin

Look out early next week for mine on ANTB as Rail's are processing my order.;)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David

6346 is perfect .....it was a Birkenhead loco in 1947.  I researched it in case I bought a second one......they had a surprising number of moguls in the North West.

Maybe I can use the 6380 plate for a GWR livery......there is a rather curious logic in persuading oneself to shell  out another hundred pounds to use up a five pound plate:rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

'Yer 'Tiz!

IMG_20201113_133041r.jpg.657831739c1b4178cb417ead4a0132b6.jpg

The Great Western green looks rich to my aging eyes and better than some other manufacturer.

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve just sat down and read the excellent owners manual. It’s a comprehensive and easy to understand booklet of 20 pages, more detailed than the folded A4 that one is normally accustomed to. What is very interesting is the spare parts list. It looks to be the case that you can order 4 different smoke box doors, and different buffer styles for starters. And even a complete tender body and chassis. If so I think this would be groundbreaking on a brand new mainstream model? 

There are etched cab side number plates in the accessories pack too. The tender coupling looks pretty neat, and is on a cam so that the gap is extended when negotiating curves. Again, a big leap over the Mainline/Bachmann 43xx's fixed drawhook. I am highly impressed, the Manor will certainly be worth the wait if it is delivered to the same specification and standard of finish.

Edited by Adrock
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

I’d be very grateful if someone who has received there model could measure the distance between the inside of the splashers and the inside of the tender frames.  To convert to EM without radically re-profiling the splashers the clearance needs to be at leat 22.5mm.  Having come to grief on the Heljan 47xx where both the splashers and the tender needed significant modifications to fit EM wheel sets I’m nervous to order a Mogul without knowing what I’m up against.

Thanks,

Frank

• RMweb Gold

@Miss Prism Here's the smokebox door of 6336 under flash illumination. It shows up differences in materials/finishes that you don't normally see:

IMG_20201113_173229r.jpg.958d18fca17df62d34360c2418fe4e6e.jpg

Here's 6336 without flash:

IMG_20201113_182051r.jpg.87daac4689b53bcb2401f621e884e336.jpg

Here's 6116 for comparison:

IMG_20201113_182022r.jpg.4e96d8f5f39e9a0428ed13995c2d1755.jpg

I measure the colour of the Mogul tender sides under a D50 illuminant as CIELAB =  22, -8, 4. (For comparison the Hornby Large Prairie 6116 is CIELAB = 25, -5, 7. So the Mogul is slightly darker, slightly greener, slightly less yellow than the Prairie.)

P.S. Correction to earlier statements: The smokebox door is not held in place by magnets - it's a simple friction fit.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

I’d be very grateful if someone who has received there model could measure the distance between the inside of the splashers and the inside of the tender frames.  To convert to EM without radically re-profiling the splashers the clearance needs to be at leat 22.5mm.  Having come to grief on the Heljan 47xx where both the splashers and the tender needed significant modifications to fit EM wheel sets I’m nervous to order a Mogul without knowing what I’m up against.

Thanks,

Frank

Unless someone beats me to it , I’ll run the vernier over mine tomorrow morning . 

Ken

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Adrock said:

I’ve just sat down and read the excellent owners manual. It’s a comprehensive and easy to understand booklet of 20 pages, more detailed than the folded A4 that one is normally accustomed to. What is very interesting is the spare parts list. It looks to be the case that you can order 4 different smoke box doors, and different buffer styles for starters. And even a complete tender body and chassis. If so I think this would be groundbreaking on a brand new mainstream model? 

The manual says on Page 1, "Designed by G. J. Churchward..."

It's a shame no mention was made of Holcroft, the man who had suggested the idea for a new 2-6-0 after a visit to Canada and who really put the design together from a broad outline spec by Churchward.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

@Miss Prism Here's the smokebox door of 6336 under flash illumination. It shows up differences in materials/finishes that you don't normally see:

IMG_20201113_173229r.jpg.958d18fca17df62d34360c2418fe4e6e.jpg

Here's 6336 without flash:

IMG_20201113_182051r.jpg.87daac4689b53bcb2401f621e884e336.jpg

Here's 6116 for comparison:

IMG_20201113_182022r.jpg.4e96d8f5f39e9a0428ed13995c2d1755.jpg

I measure the colour of the Mogul tender sides under a D50 illuminant as CIELAB =  22, -8, 4. (For comparison the Hornby Large Prairie 6116 is CIELAB = 25, -5, 7. So the Mogul is slightly darker, slightly greener, slightly less yellow than the Prairie.)

P.S. Correction to earlier statements: The smokebox door is not held in place by magnets - it's a simple friction fit.

Very interesting read out on the colour. When I stood my BR version next to the Bachmann 43xx (from 1999), I think the BR green looks slightly "yellower" on the Dapol mogul...and i think more accurate. I will try and compare with some of my newer Bachmann BR green locos in natural daylight tomorrow e.g. the Standard 3MT tank and a recent 4575. The finish is superb.

The thing I do really like on Bachmann locos (certainly say the last 15 years) is the way the wheel rims are treated - they always seem to have a black paint on them that gives them an "in service" look rather than the spokes appearing to be of a different material to the rim as on many models. The Dapol doesn't seem to have that effect, but I am sure it can be achieved with a suitable sized brush.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

The manual says on Page 1, "Designed by G. J. Churchward..."

It's a shame no mention was made of Holcroft, the man who had suggested the idea for a new 2-6-0 after a visit to Canada and who really put the design together from a broad outline spec by Churchward.

Pity the Midland didn't develop beyond these imports:

American_engineer_and_railroad_journal_(

2506.jpg?w=2000&h=

• Like 4

Is it just me, or do all the online pictures of the black one seem to show two smokebox lamp brackets (one on top and one on the door)?

I guess there's an outside chance this is prototypical, but seems unlikely.... Hopefully someone will be able to explain it to me! The bracket on the door also look massive, must be made for very big lamps!

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Yes, straight back to the 43XX via

13245-as-Built-with-GWR-style-Top-Feed-C

13245coffeepotpartfront.jpg

Aah,

But all good loco history goes back to the L&Y.

(Certainly the above examples do).

No one likes to admit how good they were as the “L” doesnt stand for London.

:rolleyes:

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have opened up the tender to investigate what sort of speaker can be fitted:

IMG_20201114_103419.jpg.9d18b6e6412cf06a3b31ccc65c61a24b.jpg

The chassis is plastic, most of the weight comes from the casting. The casting includes the speaker well and two fixing screws - looks designed for a very particular speaker.

As you can see the weight can be removed but then the close-coupling mount (the spring and Y shaped part) for the rear coupling is uncovered. So if you wanted to remove or replace the weight to fit a different speaker you'd have to arrange something to keep the coupling in place.

Pickup wipers bearing on the wheel flanges.

• Informative/Useful 8