OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

It was mentioned that the (comprehensive) instructions booklet advises that separate smokebox doors are available to order. Is any further info given please on how to order? I want to pick up 7301 in GWR green but I don't want that silly BR smokebox door!

Cheers.

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 1466 said:

Hi Frank

I have just measured across the insides of the W irons  on the tender ... 22 mm . I have tapped the frame with a screwdriver and it sounds like plastic . 
The tender wheels are very difficult to remove and almost impossible to replace  . At the moment, I think the critical issue is going to be the tender axles  diameter ; it’s non  standard  length  and the axle ends are plain not pinpoint . If the electrical circuit must be completed with the tender coupled I.e. it won’t run without, retaining  or replacing the original tender wheels might be key .
Have you seen Harlequin ‘s helpful post of the tender ?

Ken 

That’s all good news, thank you.  I definitely think this will be worth a punt.  I’ll put in an order for one, and get my order in with Ultrascale for wheels.  I’ll completely replace the loco and tender frames. Sadly I’m unlikely to be able to pick up a Perseverance chassis which would have been ideal so I may end up scratch building a replacement.  

I’m thinking of experimenting with putting the motor in the tender driving onto the back axle of the loco so that I can fill the loco with lead.  When I converted a Hornby 28xx with the motor located in the firebox I couldn’t get enough ballast in the model and as a result it doesn’t quite have enough grip  to pull the heavy goods on the layout (Hungerford).    I don’t want the same outcome with this loco.

Thanks for all your help.

Frank

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2020 at 13:41, Harlequin said:

'Yer 'Tiz!

IMG_20201113_133041r.jpg.657831739c1b4178cb417ead4a0132b6.jpg

She's a little beauty!

The smokebox door looks OK to me but I'll try to get a better photo for Miss P. later this evening.

Looks very nice! (and not a grey wheel in sight, much whining for nothing)

Looking forward to receiving mine from Derails.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sams Trains has just done a review over on YouTube . He’s impressed , particularly with the tender connection, ease of fitting DCC, proper bearings, satin finish .  And as he points out at £135 this is value for money compared with some .  I know some scoff at Sams reviews but there are no pretensions , he tells it as it is , and running on carpet does show how model deals with indifferent track work. This one passed with flying colours . Seriously tempted on this one . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

It was mentioned that the (comprehensive) instructions booklet advises that separate smokebox doors are available to order. Is any further info given please on how to order? I want to pick up 7301 in GWR green but I don't want that silly BR smokebox door!

Cheers.

CoY

I'm guessing they'll be available via DCC supplies soon. Theres usually a lag between a new model being available and the spares being sent over to DCC Supplies.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MatthewCarty said:

Is it just me, or do all the online pictures of the black one seem to show two smokebox lamp brackets (one on top and one on the door)?

I guess there's an outside chance this is prototypical, but seems unlikely.... Hopefully someone will be able to explain it to me! The bracket on the door also look massive, must be made for very big lamps!

I have just found a photo and must offer my sincere apologies to Dapol as it does appear to be an anomaly of the subject which has been modelled correctly. Impressive that this is right and it wasn't just a case of BR black = lamp iron on the door for them.

51 minutes ago, Legend said:

Sams Trains has just done a review over on YouTube . He’s impressed , particularly with the tender connection, ease of fitting DCC, proper bearings, satin finish .  And as he points out at £135 this is value for money compared with some .  I know some scoff at Sams reviews but there are no pretensions , he tells it as it is , and running on carpet does show how model deals with indifferent track work. This one passed with flying colours . Seriously tempted on this one . 

I watched his video as well tonight. Even though I don't quite agree with him on some things, or if  you don't particularly like him/his videos, they are useful for the high quality close up shots, under his lights can be quite brutal on poor finishes/marks etc. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, 1466 said:

Harlequin , that is very helpful . Would be  you be able  please to measure the “slot” in which the wheels run to confirm my estimate of the dimensions?

Im interested to see if EM wheels would fit .

Thanks

Ken 

I think I read that Brassmasters were considering doing an easichas or something for this so watch this space.

Does anyone who's got there hands on one already know if the outside steam pipes are a separately fitted part. Could they be removed and not leave lots of work to fill the gaps left.  

Also does anyone know if the Dapol collectors club model of 6308 was actually produced and is available? 

Cheers 

Pete

Edited by PeteN92
Extra

On 14/11/2020 at 00:07, Cor-onGRT4 said:

I just noticed the prodution sample of the shirtbutton version 6385 have outside steam pipes and the production model have none.

4S-043-002_3366246_Qty1_cat1.jpg

4S-043-002_20201112_3366246_Qty1_2.jpg

I really hope they haven't stuffed this up as I ordered 6385 for two reasons, one being that it is in post 1934 livery and the other being the outside steam pipes, I like the more muscular look that the outside stem pipes give the class, I will more than likely order 6336 as I would like one fitted with and one without the outside steam pipes that is if 6385 does have them, if not then I will have to crack out the HMRS locomotive decals and order some new cabside plates from Fox.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

David, I was going to order 6385 and 6336, but now it looks like 6385 doesn't have outside steam pipes, so I have only ordered 6336. I hope Dapol do another run and correct the error even if it's another loco. I hope it would be a shirt button livery too. Fingers crossed! 

• RMweb Gold

I'm given to understand that Dapol have produced a booklet which list spare parts for the model.  The upshot of this would appear that there are indeed alternative parts, allowing the owner to mix & match to their personal tastes. 

From what I've see thus far, Dapol have realised that there is little hope of covering all of the variations over the timelines  of 200+ locomotives, so it's entirely pragmatic to allow the modeller to buy the 'core' model, and add the parts they want.  On that basis, it would appear that Dapol have raised the bar somewhat, by allowing purchasers to alter or upgrade at whim. Previous manufacturers (including Dapol )  have, thus far, taken the attitude of 'that's yer lot, take it or leave it'. A brave step perhaps, and it deserves worthy of note.

I'm not in any way connected to Dapol, other than an interested observer & purchaser.  It seems to me that the collective of RM Web has continued a path of observations and advice, such that Dapol  have produced an excellent model. It bodes well for a future Manor model, which is where - what a lot of people would like.  Spot-on, Folks.

It's funny, but I jumped on the bandwagon for the probability of an updated large Prairie...  Here I am, about to order a mogul.. My Rule 1 is about to take a real hiding....  He He. 

Cheers, and keep safe,

Ian.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, steampipes are not on the list of Spare parts in the manual. (Not in mine at least.)

I guess we're going to have to use 3rd party parts if we want to add them to models that don't have them as supplied.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Sadly, steampipes are not on the list of Spare parts in the manual. (Not in mine at least.)

I guess we're going to have to use 3rd party parts if we want to add them to models that don't have them as supplied.

I might have to cannibalize my old Mainline 43xx fitted with the outside steam pipes, I had already assigned that loco to being a spare parts source to keep the other one that I have without the outside steam pipes running.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

My apologies Phil. It would appear I misunderstood the contents of the booklet.  Mine will be in the post as of tomorrow.

No apology needed!

The spare parts that are listed, including smokebox doors, are a very good thing. A step above most models, as you say.

It's just a shame that outside Steampipes are not among them - seems like a natural addition for the class where they varied so much.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Re: Mogul.

What is the experience of running the loco?

Thanks

Can  only direct you to Sams Trains review on YouTube . Seems like it runs fine

Edited by Legend
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Legend said:

Can  only direct you to Sams Trains review on YouTube . Seems like it runs fine

However, he does say that it’s a poor crawler. That would lead to poor starts and stops. I dare say we’ll find out more as time goes on and more owners report. The spec says the motor is five pole, although it might not be quite to Hornby’s standard. In appearance, it’s superb. In the opposite of the usual grump, it seems extraordinarily good value. It bodes well for the Prairie.

Lubrication helped the Terriers a lot. Perhaps it will be the same with the Mogul.

Edited by No Decorum
To add an afterthought.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm given to understand that Dapol have produced a booklet which list spare parts for the model.  The upshot of this would appear that there are indeed alternative parts, allowing the owner to mix & match to their personal tastes. 

From what I've see thus far, Dapol have realised that there is little hope of covering all of the variations over the timelines  of 200+ locomotives, so it's entirely pragmatic to allow the modeller to buy the 'core' model, and add the parts they want.  On that basis, it would appear that Dapol have raised the bar somewhat, by allowing purchasers to alter or upgrade at whim. Previous manufacturers (including Dapol )  have, thus far, taken the attitude of 'that's yer lot, take it or leave it'. A brave step perhaps, and it deserves worthy of note.

I'm not in any way connected to Dapol, other than an interested observer & purchaser.  It seems to me that the collective of RM Web has continued a path of observations and advice, such that Dapol  have produced an excellent model. It bodes well for a future Manor model, which is where - what a lot of people would like.  Spot-on, Folks.

It's funny, but I jumped on the bandwagon for the probability of an updated large Prairie...  Here I am, about to order a mogul.. My Rule 1 is about to take a real hiding....  He He. 

Cheers, and keep safe,

Ian.

I'd have to agree with that nice young Ian chap that the availability of parts to modify RTR locos is a significant advance which I would like to see taken up by other producers.  We already have the genesis of this in the detailing pack included  and in the box, brake rigging, vacuum/steam heating pipes, etc., and have discussed the matter of top feeds on panniers.  Any large class of loco, and the GW moguls were several hundred strong, will have differences between individuals and over time, especially when the period over which they are being build is over a few decades and improvements are made, then retrofitted to earlier members of the class as and when they turn up at works for major overhaul.  Steampipes are an easily added detail, and it is a pity Dap are not listing them as available, but I believe they are obtainable from 3rd party suppliers.  They sound as if they should be easy to scratchbuild out of suitably diameter rod or tube, but the flanges and their rivets wiould defeat many of us.

People who buy RTR products to use and run on layouts may, IMHO, by subdivided into two categories.  A Category, according to my friend's daughter when she was 4 and so cute she sh*t kittens, is where the cat went when the family went on holiday, into a Cattegory, and I for one have no argument with that assertion.  But as it applies to railway modellers, it seems to be the natural order of things that some demand their exact prototype in the exact condition and livery that they want it and will wait until it is available, and others will buy something close and immediately alter it, sticking new numberplates on, repainting it, adding or subtracting details, weathering, putting in real coal and such to build the best model they can of their required prototytpe with no regard to the 'integrity' of the original model. 

Both approaches are perfectly cromulent, but as a confirmed party of the second  part since the day in 1965 when, aged 13, I took a hacksaw  to a Rovex Black Princess to make a Black 5, I am delighted to see the 'retrofit' approach being adopted by Dap, and hope others take a leaf.  It's autumn, there's plenty of leaves, they're driving The Squeeze nuts getting in the porch and the entrance passage...