OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

That’s nice, add batteries to the tender means more weight that the loco struggles to haul around.

It’s already proven that people don’t like loco to tender connections.

Dead rail is just a dead end.

Unless we can make magnetic resonance work.

https://thewirelesssolution.co.uk/blogs/information/what-is-resonant-charging-and-how-does-it-differ-from-inductive

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

The issue with wires to the tender is doing them properly not with a mini plug that is too small for many to inset in awkward place or with wires on weak solder joints, both Hornby specialities

I would agree that the usual plugs used are not ideal although they are what I have used.

There are many better ways of doing it, including using the coupling bar.

I have looked at the idea of using a piece of double sided fibreglass PCB as coupler with 4 copper tracks, 2 each top & bottom.

Perfectly strong enough.

• Informative/Useful 2

Hi All,

changing the direction of this thread slightly, I am told that Dapol have now abandoned their plans to provide (at a later date to the original models) a sound fitted version of the Moguls?

Any one else heard this or heard to the contrary from a reliable source?

Many thanks

Paul

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I would agree that the usual plugs used are not ideal although they are what I have used.

There are many better ways of doing it, including using the coupling bar.

I have looked at the idea of using a piece of double sided fibreglass PCB as coupler with 4 copper tracks, 2 each top & bottom.

Perfectly strong enough.

Which is, of course, exactly what Dapol have done with the new Mogul.

This little eddy in the conversation has come full circle!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2020 at 20:35, Budgie said:

It doesn't like dragging just 4 bow-ended suburbans up my 1 in 75 helix without slipping. As for 8 coaches ...

Mine has been taking ten coaches on the 8' x 8' roundy without any hesitation, although it is a work of homage to the Flat Earth Society.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I read a lot of comments earlier about slow speed performance so after running in my DC version for a couple of hours forward, reverse, clockwise, anticlockwise at various speeds I decided to try a test. There's not much straight on my layout so I started it gently which it did very smoothly then let it trundle round. It did the circuit at an average scale speed of 12 mph slowing slightly on the tightest of the curves. The only real straight bit I have is about 3' in the middle of the fiddle yard so I restarted it very gently at the end of that. It covered the three feet in in 75 seconds without hesitation which is less that scale walking pace. The layout runs on DC using a Gaugemaster D controller. No feedback or fancy gismos as I am a complete dinosaur as far as control systems is concerned.

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi All,

changing the direction of this thread slightly, I am told that Dapol have now abandoned their plans to provide (at a later date to the original models) a sound fitted version of the Moguls?

Many thanks

Paul

Haven't heard anything to this effect.... I would expect Hattons and Rails to be al over this updating customers once verified... Hopefully it isn't the case.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi All,

Many thanks

Paul

I hope not. I am waiting for mine and not heard anything from Hattons yet. 
PS Are you a vicar by any chance?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The MX618N18 should be fine, it's a decent full function decoder with good motor control but at a budget price.

That's what's going in mine (if RM ever deliver it!)

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The MX618N18 should be fine, it's a decent full function decoder with good motor control but at a budget price.

That's what's going in mine (if RM ever deliver it!)

Thank you for that. Yes the Zimo is about to be ordered. Think I have had one in another Loco and it is excellent.

P

I haven't read the whole thread so apologise if this has been posted previously.

I thought it may be of interest to the 4mm modellers...

G

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bgman said:

I haven't read the whole thread so apologise if this has been posted previously.

G

I am sure I read somewhere the Dapol use Mr Soundguy for the official factory sounds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bgman said:

G

Very nice sounds but very confusing for the first few moments where there are two locos running simultaneously with only one in view!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, JST said:

I hope not. I am waiting for mine and not heard anything from Hattons yet. 
PS Are you a vicar by any chance?

With the surname of Whicker :D

Edit: seen your follow up post now, Got it in 1.

Edited by 57xx

On 02/12/2020 at 01:12, David Stannard said:

Well I finally received my copy of 6385 today and will say it is a beautiful model that stands well and above the previous incarnations, that said it does not have the outside steampipes as per the real life locomotive for the era that is supposed to be representing which is rather disappointing.

What irks me is I specifically switched my order to 6385 just to get the outside steam pipes as shown in prerelease photos! Now I guess I need to renumber it to one that had the shirt button emblem and no pipes. At least they did use metallic gold for the emblem instead of yellow. To make it worse when I asked about a wiring diagram so I could remove their space hogging decoder interface I got a rude email back telling me it would void my warranty so no diagram!

• RMweb Gold

@DapolDave @DapolAndy @Ben Dapol Can you explain why the model of 6385 does not have outside steam pipes, please?

Is there any possibility you might supply steam pipes as a spare part through DCC Supplies? (At the moment their Mogul page is still empty.)

Thanks,

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

@DapolDave @DapolAndy @Ben Dapol Can you explain why the model of 6385 does not have outside steam pipes, please?

Is there any possibility you might supply steam pipes as a spare part through DCC Supplies? (At the moment their Mogul page is still empty.)

I think you'll find Dapol Dave might have moved on!

Edited by Hal Nail

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I think you'll find Dapol Dave might have moved on!

And the other two are bogus accounts set up by an anti-Dapol troll.