OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

RM are terrible at the moment. 48 hour tracked item took 12 days. Our local MP has also been asking questions. I feel for the posties though as they get it in the neck from the public. Our local sorting office is a 1930s grade 2 listed building. Far to small for the town that is constantly growing. I was told they have had to refuse post from the major sorting offices as they didn't have room and that the fire escapes were blocked by the back log.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

ive had a record amount of stuff delivered this year (lockdown and all), one day RM sent their own man and van as we had 17 boxes !- just dont ask, not all trains !

Just mostly...:D:good:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

IMHO Having an item sitting in the District Office for 10 days when it was supposed to be delivered is not due to the current overstretched RM.

I think they have lost sight of it somehow and until someone actually goes looking for it, there (wherever that is) it will stay.

Currently there doesn't appear that there is any way items awaiting delivery are flagged up if they aren't delivered. The computer system could easily do that if required.

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, melmerby said:

IMHO Having an item sitting in the District Office for 10 days when it was supposed to be delivered is not due to the current overstretched RM.

I think they have lost sight of it somehow and until someone actually goes looking for it, there (wherever that is) it will stay.

Currently there doesn't appear that there is any way items awaiting delivery are flagged up if they aren't delivered. The computer system could easily do that if required.

If you phone that local sorting office, they may do a sweep around and look for it.

sometimes cutting straight to the chase, instead of following the process pays off.

my local-sorting office are really good like that, that said this year ive not needed it at all, perhaps they have a bin there specially with my name on :-) when I first started my collection again, they were suspicious I was smuggling cigarettes, when you look at the box size and shape !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2020 at 14:41, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi All,

changing the direction of this thread slightly, I am told that Dapol have now abandoned their plans to provide (at a later date to the original models) a sound fitted version of the Moguls?

Any one else heard this or heard to the contrary from a reliable source?

Many thanks

Paul

Hattons have today listed a sound-equipped mogul as in-stock.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, didcot said:

RM are terrible at the moment. 48 hour tracked item took 12 days.

Yesterday we heard from our DiL that she had received an appointment letter from the hospital for our Granddaughter to attend, unfortunately the letter arrived almost exactly 5 minutes AFTER the appointment time, the letter had been sent over a week ago, I partly blame the hospital though for relying on the mail at this time of year.

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2020 at 15:02, Adrock said:

I was just coming on to ask about what the consensus is then on the running qualities, as it seems that a few people have definitely reported having good runners. I think, from memory, the DCC-fitted ones seem to be performing better. I cant recall a DC owner posting that they had a perfect runner, but happy to be corrected. I am debating what to do, whether to return and see if I get a good 'un, or just stick.

I thought I would summarise my findings having now got mine running on DCC today.

On opening the box last week, one front buffer housing slightly misplaced, but easily pushed back into place.

Out of the box on DC it ran very well in reverse, but a bit jerky/hesitant in forward on my very short test track

I immediately added a bit of lubrication to the rods and slide bars and gave it a bit of a run on the rolling road.

Performance was noticeably improved.

No issues with the location of the motion brackets as others have found.

It has now been fitted with a Zimo MX618 N18 decoder.

When I went to remove the smokebox door I realised the smokebox door dart was missing. I cannot be sure if it was present when I first opened the model or not, however I will just source a scale replacement.

I found the special tool for removing the door to be useless. However, as the dart was missing I was able to insert the blunt end of a fine drill into the hole and the smokebox door was then easily prised off!

The tool did work well for sliding the circuit board out of the smokebox to fit the chip.

Running on DCC seems smooth, although it didn't want to crawl perfectly on speed step 1 (out of 28). Increasing to 2 and then 3 and it set off very well, and certainly adequate for my purposes. In fairness to the model it hasn't run much yet and may improve further.

I may have been lucky and got a generally good one (despite the missing dart) which makes me feel happy enough to go ahead and order a second model. I originally ordered the lined green late crest, but I quite fancy a black one as well. Hopefully it will perform at least as well.

Graham

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

My local office is also the main centre for Home Counties North. 

I had two model train parcels last week due for delivery from the same place.

One arrived within 48 hours last Saturday and was delivered in a plain white van and with a driver in mufti.

On checking I found the second parcel was in the local depot.

It arrived today via a proper postie on her round.

Yesterday while on an exercise walk I came across two white vans with what seemed to be RM temporary staff who were in deep conversation about how to locate some addresses. With several new residential development and some of then being gated communities I sympathise with their difficulties.

RM appear to be suffering and seem to be trying very hard by hiring vans and recruiting drivers to keep the system going. I think we all need to be patient.

Bernard

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

RM appear to be suffering and seem to be trying very hard by hiring vans and recruiting drivers to keep the system going. I think we all need to be patient.

Bernard

Hiring vans and recruiting drivers used to be the normal to cope with the extra cards & parcels at Christmas.

It doesn't seem to happening around here at present.

Our local postie doesn't seem to be unduly overstretched at all, with delivery times fairly consistent day on day and little different to what they were pre Covid (2:30-3:30PM)

I've seen the postie in the past with the bag absolutely stuffed with mail but now it generally is only half full by the time it gets to us.

Occasionally in the past an item due to be delivered isn't delivered that day for some reason but the tracking would be updated, this one hasn't changed since Tuesday 1st at 4:25AM.

The last time that happened to me the item was lost.

There is a note on the RM site that there may be more than one delivery per day to clear any backlog but it hasn't AFAIK happened.

Just received a e mail from Hattons saying my factory sound fitted Mogul is on it's way. As I live in France I have paid a bit extra for courier delivery as I don't want it posted in the UK prior to 1 Jan and then find  it doesn't arrive in France after Brexshit and wind up paying VAT in France was well!

I will let you know how I get on.

• Friendly/supportive 4

For those interested YouChoos has an excellent page on disassembly and installing a speaker in the tender. He also took the boiler off and provided photos of the DCC interface and offered a fix for the dim firebox light. Basically requires glueing a piece of foil behind the LED assembly to act as a reflector. I now plan to gut the circuit and install a SoundTraxx UK steam sound decoder once it arrives. That will make it compatible with all my other locos and allow installation of a keep alive and some extra weight in the boiler cavity.

Edited by Cofga

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PMP99 said:

I thought I would summarise my findings having now got mine running on DCC today.

On opening the box last week, one front buffer housing slightly misplaced, but easily pushed back into place.

Out of the box on DC it ran very well in reverse, but a bit jerky/hesitant in forward on my very short test track

I immediately added a bit of lubrication to the rods and slide bars and gave it a bit of a run on the rolling road.

Performance was noticeably improved.

No issues with the location of the motion brackets as others have found.

It has now been fitted with a Zimo MX618 N18 decoder.

When I went to remove the smokebox door I realised the smokebox door dart was missing. I cannot be sure if it was present when I first opened the model or not, however I will just source a scale replacement.

I found the special tool for removing the door to be useless. However, as the dart was missing I was able to insert the blunt end of a fine drill into the hole and the smokebox door was then easily prised off!

The tool did work well for sliding the circuit board out of the smokebox to fit the chip.

Running on DCC seems smooth, although it didn't want to crawl perfectly on speed step 1 (out of 28). Increasing to 2 and then 3 and it set off very well, and certainly adequate for my purposes. In fairness to the model it hasn't run much yet and may improve further.

I may have been lucky and got a generally good one (despite the missing dart) which makes me feel happy enough to go ahead and order a second model. I originally ordered the lined green late crest, but I quite fancy a black one as well. Hopefully it will perform at least as well.

Graham

I also fitted a Zimo 618 N18.   Very happy with the result.  My model is a super reliable runner........I dont believe it has hesitated once!

The model is highly geared though. Thr max speed out of the box must be astronomic. To get a scale speed of 45 mph, which is all I need on Granby,  I had to set CV 5 at 90. As a benchmark CV 5 at 90 in a Pannier gives a top speed of 28 mph! 

Here is a short video of the Mogul crawling through speed steps 1-7

In the video the transition between step 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 seem a bit too abrupt........I have only adjusted CVs 3,4,5,6 and 57. I am wondering if there is another Zimo CV I should be tweaking?

Speed step 1 is pretty amazing.....it too over 30 minutes to cover 6' on the profile track.

A number of posters have used the phrase "sure footed" to describe the Mogul's road holding. Thats certainly mu impression. Some sections of Granby's track are less than stellar. The nasties presented no problem at  all......every dodgy section taken with total panache.

I did encounter a problem with the motion bracket.......entirely of my own making.....I managed to hook the mogul up to an already anchored train and then applied too much wellie. Not a good idea...the bracket popped out of its mounting recess and the motion seized. Fortunately I was able to re-insert it without any great difficulty. It doesnt look the most robust method of attachment though.....wouldnt want it to get mis aligned too often.

I have to say I am very impressed with the Mogul. If the Manor is equally good I will be a very happy camper. I must  say I do hope that Dapol persevere with their Prairie, I think they would give Hornby a run for their money.

Best wishes from Vancouver.......Keep SAfe.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

If you phone that local sorting office, they may do a sweep around and look for it.

sometimes cutting straight to the chase, instead of following the process pays off.

And where do you find the local DO phone number?

It's not listed and RM wont give it to you. Little Dan (Derails) was going to do that

Trying to phone anyone on the standard RM number is currently a waste of time. (very long waits)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I would think the big issue is the very low gearing (just 16-1 I have read), and thus the big increase in speed between speed step levels as a result. The answer I would guess is to set quite a high acceleration figure - I usually use 30-50 so something a bit higher than this I would presume - plus a bespoke speed curve rather than the simple default min/mid/max one. So the lowest steps can be squeezed together to give minimal increase. A really flat line at the start. Quite easy to do via JMRI/decoder pro, but a bit long winded via the individual cv’s.

Izzy

ps. Re RM. yesterday I ordered some servos off eBay. Free postage so didn’t expect them anytime soon, end next week. They have just popped through the door......

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, PMP99 said:

I found the special tool for removing the door to be useless. 

Have not tried it yet but I wonder whether a small suction cup might be better - in the same way that some light fittings require a suction device to remove the light bulb.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

It's not listed and RM wont give it to you. Little Dan (Derails) was going to do that

Trying to phone anyone on the standard RM number is currently a waste of time. (very long waits)

Google or other search thingy  is your useful tool for this.

P

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Google is your friend, Each sorting office has its own local phone number. Just type “sorting office <<insert name>>” into Google and hit search.

Royal mail does have a link to them all published with unique 0345 numbers.

just phone the one you last saw it tracked at. I usually phone after the inevitable morning collection rush, they’ll be less busy

I would start politely, otherwise who knows if they take their stress out on the parcel. As I said, mine are always helpful friendly guys, but I guess its all your approach, it might be Royal Mails problem, but its the individual who is helping you, just as I am trying to.

It all depends on what outcome you want to try and influence, granted events may have taken an uninfluencable twist, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Google or other search thingy  is your useful tool for this.

P

56 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Google is your friend, Each sorting office has its own local phone number.

just phone the one you last saw it tracked at. I usually phone after the inevitable morning collection rush, they’ll be less busy

I would start politely, otherwise who knows if they take their stress out on the parcel. As I said, mine are always helpful friendly guys, but I guess its all your approach, it might be Royal Mails problem, but its the individual who is helping you, just as I am trying to.

It all depends on what outcome you want to try and influence.

Thanks both for the suggestion.

I have found, via Google, a number (0345 602 1021) for the local office and have just tried that.

It said via automated voice "welcome to Royal Mail's dedicated re-delivery service"

I then found another number (0345 774 0740)

That said "Welcome to Royal Mail's customer service"

Both said the office was now closed.

I will try them again tomorrow or Monday

BTW

Little Dan at Derails tried to get the number from his local PO but they wouldn't give it to him!:(

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Have not tried it yet but I wonder whether a small suction cup might be better - in the same way that some light fittings require a suction device to remove the light bulb.

That might work - but it is quite a tight friction fit.  The tool is useless, so I removed the smokebox dart (just pulled out), and used a thin bit of rod in the hole to gently lever it off.    

• Informative/Useful 1

On 11/12/2020 at 10:29, adb968008 said:

maybe worth bringing to RMs attention if your having so many issues.

ive had a record amount of stuff delivered this year (lockdown and all), one day RM sent their own man and van as we had 17 boxes !- just dont ask, not all trains !

But so far this year theyve been spot on, only at the start of lockdown, and the last 7 days have I seen a marked slow down..

RM has been excellant for me (ive also sold best part of 200 items in my clearout and not yet dropped the ball on any either).

but that said, the slow to arrive boxes (7-10 days +) are all from the same retailer in Sheffield... everyone elses stuff is currently with 6 days or less in nov/dec vice 3-4 days usual for 2nd class, so ive enough anecdotal evidence to say that I think they are having shipping issues... ive 5 items from them “in the mail”, the most recent being 4 days ago off ebay, has only just got a despatch tracking number, but has not yet been despatched, yet the components needed for said model, bought same time/day, are already sitting next to me... so its not all RM delays.

There were a couple of pictures posted on one of the newspaper websites the other day of Sheffield sorting office- absolutely bursting at the seams with stuff and unopened mail bags piled up because there was nowhere to put the contents.  They have real problems there and it was reported that they had a 2 week delay- cause stated as mass self isolation following a Covid case amongst the staff.  How far this is true I don't know- that was in the news report.

It seems there are a couple of other offices affected also.

That makes it very hit and miss as far as your mail is concerned- if its path doesn't hit a clogged-up office you will get your stuff quickly.  If it does you could now be waiting ages for it, even with Royal Mail recruiting extra staff as fast as they can train them...

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

BTW

Little Dan at Derails tried to get the number from his local PO but they wouldn't give it to him!:(

Dont under estimate Dan, he’s got magicians powers and ESP.

i once had a substantial box of £600+ of railways magically disappear, complete with delivery signature. I got on the phone to Dan, he suggested looking around various nooks and crannies of the house (and I checked the garage roof as theyve landed there on occasions too)... 

Whilst on the phone to Dan standing outside, my neighbour appeared, walked to his drive collected his empty wheelie bin, looked puzzled, looked inside, and lo and behold there was my parcel...

If its only 1 loco missing, he’ll wave his magic wand, I bet you’ll find it in your cornflakes or under the christmas tree.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Phoning RM today (3 times) was fruitless as although the office is supposed to be open for 4 hours according to the "new" times due to Covid-19 posted by Royal Mail , the answerphone said it was closed.

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Phoning RM today (3 times) was fruitless as although the office is supposed to be open for 4 hours according to the "new" times due to Covid-19 posted by Royal Mail , the answerphone said it was closed.

Frustrating but no worse then many organisations currently. Tried phoning my local Morrisons to no luck the other week regarding an item I had left behind.